Catastrophic Tinnitus Worsening After 7 Years — Caused by a Kiss on the Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Theezy, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Be careful with TRT. It made mine worse! I would try and get as much silence as you can and see if anything improves. Your ears need a break.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      That’s interesting, it definitely aggravates mine even at low level, but I think it’s other noise exposures that have worsened it the most. It seems I have to remain locked in my room practically to see any improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Theezy, hang in there. I am going through a massive increase after catching COVID-19. I hear it above the TV, etc. I am mostly WFH and I just try to make sure I have background sounds on all the time, so that I try to take my focus away from it to some degree. Walking outdoors also helps but I too am struggling with sleep, high anxiety and feeling hopeless. The tinnitus is very intrusive and easily rises above any indoor sounds. Sleep is very important to help you recover. Get sleeping meds if they will help you through a difficult time. Sleep will help you cope and you will feel better about things. I've had tinnitus for 12 years and currently is definitely at its highest level. It really is a horrid condition but do what you can to refocus your brain and it may settle down.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    4. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah, I second this. TRT also made me worse. The therapist told me to push myself so I did and ended up going back to square one again.

@Theezy, you will find many people who continually worsen, especially with noxacusis. Usually at that point, just trying to get as much silence as possible for a while, maybe a month or two, or however long it takes, is what is needed. Then use the TRT techniques to reintroduce sound again but very gradually.

I might be wrong because it's very hard to tell case by case but this is just an option that works for some. I know it's tough because it makes the tinnitus even louder but may help more in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Theezy -- I truly empathize with your catastrophic spike that keeps getting worse. I recently discovered a device that has helped me a lot (link below to a thread I started). Perhaps it might be something for you to consider. It may not decrease your tinnitus, but it may calm your neurological system enough to start being able to sleep and relax.

Tone Pacer PRO App — Has a Very Soothing Effect on My Auditory Cortex

All the Best!

• Like Like x 2
    6. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I'm incredibly sorry to hear that. I've been experiencing something similar with my left ear, but not at the same rate.

Would you say your tinnitus is worsening equally fast over both ears, or is it only your right?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      Thanks for sharing, I’m going to try that out. How often do you listen to the app?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      It was mainly the right for 7 years until my most recent exposure. Since last week my left ear has actually been the worse ear. I had an earplug in my right (bad) ear while some family were over. Some metal silverware was dropped onto a granite counter and since then my left ear has had pressure, new high-pitched tones, increased sensitivity. It’s very frustrating how easily these increases are happening.

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I usually do it 1x/day, though I skip it if I'm having a better than average day.

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      Gotten worse everyday for the last week. There is a storm of screeching banshees and rumbling in my head. My tinnitus is 10x what it was a couple months ago. I’m now bedbound and don’t see any way out of this.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hang in there @Theezy. You are going through the worst of it. You will come through the other side. Since COVID-19 worsened mine greatly, I can understand to some degree. I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      @Theezy, could a benzo or Sertraline help you at this moment? To calm down the brain?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      Thank you for keeping me in your prayers. I sure need them right now. I hope your tinnitus/hyperacusis are doing well

14. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      How would you rate your hyperacusis? Is your tinnitus deteriorating despite using hearing protection?

15. volterra
      Wtf

volterra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Music Festival
      I'm also getting worse quite fast, two weeks ago I knew something was wrong but I could go to the shops, gym and have a conversation. Now I'm talking quietly and sitting in silence all day.

Anyone have any tips on what to do if it keeps getting worse? Just stay in bed all day? How is that sustainable?

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    16. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      How are you doing now Theezy?

• Like Like x 1
    17. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Sorry to hear that you are suffering. Can I ask what happened?

18. volterra
      Wtf

volterra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Music Festival
      I went to a 4-day music festival 10 weeks ago and have been slowly getting worse.

Over the last week I've stabilised a bit. Watching TV is just about comfortable. I can have conversations although they spike my tinnitus a bit. Driving is okay.

ENTs and audiologists made it worse by insisting I remove my earwax and sending me for an MRI. Not once did they ever suggest I should take a break from noisy life and try to relax. Totally insane how bad their advice has been.

I have some mild hearing loss at 6 kHz.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Johan82

Johan82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection or noise
      My tinnitus also became worse. Probably from the chronic stress, anxiety etc. Focusing on my ears caused pressure and tension in my ears and neck which could be the culprit.

So if you can tackle the mental part, then it would solve your problem by 50% and you could prevent further worsening.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      I’m still in a tinnitus spiral. Everything makes it worse now and every time I have a setback it takes less for the next one to raise it up. My ears are screaming now. I seriously don’t know what to do at this point.

• Hug Hug x 3
    21. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hey @Theezy - I'd strongly recommend having your GP prescribe a benzo to be used for panic attacks (be careful, they're addictive) and an antidepressant to lower the overall baseline on your stress and anxiety. Personally, I've found relief with Xanax (for panic) and Mirtazapine (for my baseline).
      I can't say it any better than @Johan82 but I agree that, based on what you've been reporting, addressing the psychological impact is a necessity.

Wishing you healing and peace - keep us updated.

22. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Do you have NAC? It's scientifically proven to lessen hearing damage after acoustic shock. I would buy NAC ASAP and take at least 1 g of it every day if I were you.

It won't make your tinnitus better but might stop it from getting as bad.

I still have setbacks with my hyperacusis when taking NAC but it might be helping a bit. It's safe anyway so no harm trying it. Nootropics Depot is the most reliable source.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      The past few days have been by far the fastest deterioration of the past two months. The tinnitus loudness has increased 3-5x over this week. There’s so many layers of sounds that I can’t even distinguish them all.

I can hear it over everything that used to help a bit, TV and podcasts can’t even come close to masking it now. I have to listen through the roaring tinnitus to make out conversations. Two days ago I finally had to throw in the flag and take a break from my remote job. That used to be a good distraction, but I started falling behind as things have kept getting worse. My low hum that comes on at night is now so loud that my whole body has a physical vibration feeling at that frequency. No joke, I can feel all the way to my feet vibrating in sync with it. I’m slowly becoming bed bound and have zero appetite. Feels like this is truly going to kill me.

• Hug Hug x 5
    24. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I am very sorry to hear about your rapid deterioration.

Have you gone to your doctor to get any anti-anxiety meds? A fast acting benzo would stop you from spiraling.

Even the worst cases do improve over time. Right now you need to stomp out the anxiety and panic though because that's only making things much worse.

Using a benzo or anti-anxiety med short term worked well for me when my tinnitus was just starting. It would be ideal to use them for a couple of months, then get off them again when you've calmed down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      If anyone happens to read this, I need outside perspectives because I am not thinking about all this rationally on my own, I need help. I’m going to be as objective as possible in describing my experience to see if anyone can suggest the best way forward as I am truly confused about what the right thing to do is. Since my steep increase in tinnitus level, everything has been so unstable. I have had worse hyperacusis, and my tinnitus has increased many times over the last couple months. It’s not only my focus on it, it’s now clearly audible over many things that used to fully mask it and there are new noises. This has been very hard to deal with as I am making backwards progress. Each moderate sound exposure has led to a flare up that makes the tinnitus and hyperacusis even worse. Now I can hardly leave my room without spiking it.

Ok now what have I been doing over the last weeks and months? I incorporate as much sound therapy as possible but I am having a very hard time as even brief sessions significantly set off my tinnitus. I can handle shows or podcasts a little better, my tinnitus does not seem to like repetitive noises that are all masking sounds. It’s become uncomfortable for me to watch TV even at volume I was regularly watching at a couple weeks ago. I thought I was getting some decent sound therapy in by watching shows, but my tolerance has still decreased greatly. The pattern of moderate noises worsening my condition has admittedly led me to further isolate, but I try to work in as much sound exposure as I can take.

It is very hard for me to leave my house now. Car is a no-go. Spikes my symptoms horribly for days. I took a walk around my neighborhood with earplugs in the other day and that (sound of cars mostly) set everything crazy for a day or two. Silverware dropping on the granite counter has also severely spiked my tinnitus and it still hasn’t come down from that for weeks. After these events the tinnitus and hyperacusis are even worse making it harder for me to deal with productively. Why are these permanent worsenings happening? Do I need to let my ears heal in isolation or push the sound therapy?

It feels like I’m between a rock and a hard place as I’ve heard sound isolation decreases tolerance further, but it’s been the even modest sound exposure that keeps aggravating tinnitus and hyperacusis. A day or two of quiet is the only method that settles things down a bit before my next exposure. @Michael Leigh, if you find time to read this, I know you are experienced in this arena, and I realize I really need some outside guidance here. I recognize I can’t do this on my own.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Theezy, we had an employee that received tinnitus from a kiss on the ear. After a little background, I'll mention treatment that somewhat resolved her tinnitus.

A kiss on the employee's external auditory canal caused negative vacuum pressure, which caused outward pressure on the tympanic membrane. The pressure on the tympanic membrane created negative pressure on the tiny ear bones attached to the tympanic membrane, incus, stapes and malleus. This caused dislodging of the stapes and perilymph fluid in the inner ear leaked out and caused some damage to hair cells.

Perilymph - Wikipedia

Some resolvement of her tinnitus and hearing came from replacement of proteins, extracellular enzymes and immunoglobulins. Her hyperacusis completely resolved - may have been helped from using tree oil behind her ear - I don't know about using tree oil - safety concerns. A stapedectomy may had given her more resolvement.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Theezy -- When I first saw you mention "sound therapy", I cringed. When you mentioned it again, I cringed even more. By the time I got to your summation paragraph, it seemed you had come to realize that the sound therapy you've been doing is not working for you. But you also seem to be uncertain about that realization.

So I have just a few thoughts. When something isn't working, it's time to pause and take stock, and reconsider some basic assumptions. I've seen repeatedly on this forum how a person should be careful to not overprotect. Many have adopted this mindset without questioning it too much. And it makes sense--to a certain point.

To my way of looking at it, there's almost always some exceptions to what might otherwise seem to be commonsense thinking. If what you're allowing yourself to be exposed to is worsening your condition, then it seems like it's time to stop! If you notice things settling down after a couple of days of quiet, then it seems that's what you need to do.

There are times when it's important to follow your gut, and set aside some of our logical thinking. It seems the only thing that's giving you a modicum of relief is silence. It just seems so clear--to me anyway, that silence is what's going to allow your ears to start healing. Once a certain amount of healing takes place, then you can slowly start introducing more and more sound.

And then follow your intuition as you go forward. Good luck as you proceed on this rather perilous journey you're on. I think once you start getting longer periods of respite from your extreme situation, the more you'll be able to relax. And then comes patience. And as they say, he who has patience can have anything. I think the significant improvement you're desperate for can be achieved if you let pure, golden silence lead the way.

Here's some more of my thoughts on the topic of overprotection and underprotection:

Protecting? Overprotecting? Not Protecting? -- Post 1

Protecting? Overprotecting? Not Protecting? -- Post 2

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Heal in isolation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    29. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Theezy, do you live near any countryside? For me, the only sounds that give me some temporary relief from my screeching tinnitus are the sounds of nature, birds singing, crunching on stony, country lanes, a gentle breeze. This is my only relief. Right now my tinnitus is really bad. Since COVID-19 and the ENT tests, my ears are screeching and are very sensitive to noise. I hope things improve for you. You have done amazingly well to cope thus far.

• Like Like x 4
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theezy

Theezy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Rave?
      Thank you for the nice write up, it’s really helpful for me to see a thoughtful assessment on this outside of my own biased brain. My gut says I need silence at the moment as my ears are screaming and flare up from any noise. I agree with the feeling that I need some initial healing before going more into sound therapy. My ears are too extremely delicate right now, and I can’t bear to keep making them worse. The amount of silence I need to really let them settle is extreme - like hardly leave the bedroom all day let alone the house. But if that is what it takes I can do it, I just can’t risk a continuation of worsenings at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2