Chocolate Helps My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, May 20, 2018.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi all

Ok so everytime I eat large quantities of milk chocolate my tinnitu improves as in my tinnitus goes quieter for a few hours.

Larger quantities mean a lot of sugar which is supposed to be bad for tinnitus but also eating a lot of sugar is not great on my body either, but I can't escape the fact that when I eat around 200g of milk chocolate my tinnitus improves.

I want to ask do you think it's the antioxidant levels in chocolate that helps my tinnitus as dark chocolate has been proven to have antioxidants?

When I say dark chocolate I mean the pure 80% bars.

I know milk chocolate does not have the level of antioxidants as dark chocolate or the plant chocolate comes from but maybe because I eat 200g means I reach an antioxidant level?

As I was thinking of eating just now bars of pure dark chocolate to continue to help tinnitus but without all the sugar.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I love dark chocolate. I don't believe it will heal the damage to my ear, but I'll take any excuse to eat it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Maybe getting the cocoa that make the chocolate eat it like a fruit.

4. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Wish that happened for me. Tinnitus is such a weird condition and therefore what helps isn’t uniform. Try the dark chocolate, it’s supposed to be more healthy.
      @Sarah200

5. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      Good question - found this research on the benefits of cocoa related to vascular function.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16794461

I eat a small amount of 88% cocoa everyday along with lion's mane mushroom for nerve repair.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      It's the one thing I did not stop eating when I got tinnitus but have recently stopped due to a little weight gain due to eating too much, I'm a chocoholic, I love it. But then my tinnitus spiked massively so I thought maybe it's just a withdrawal to the lower amounts of sugar I'm eating now, then when I ate a piece of milk chocolate my tinnitus went quieter so I went without again and it spiked and only went quiet when I ate chocolate. Since then I have realized that it goes real quiet if I eat loads of chocolate so I think it's to do with the plant that chocolate comes from so I'm going to eat some dark chocolate and see how I go.

Interesting article @housemzk, I'm going to try 80% and see if it helps like the milk chocolate and if it does then I will eat 100% as I can eat the 100% bars I enjoy them but only a small amount though.

7. Ahat

Ahat Member

This is interesting. I see all of these posts saying to stay away from sugar and to keep sodium intake low. I had take out for dinner last night which had like a weeks worth of sodium in it and my tinnitus reduced to barely hearing it in a quiet room later on.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Me too I had KFC last night as we were celebrating and my tinnitus never changed and normally salt increases my tinnitus. I think it's if we eat large amounts of salt on a daily basis that it can affect our tinnitus, as I don't eat a lot of salt and takeouts like KFC, Chinese are rare occasions, maybe that's why we're ok.

• Agree Agree x 1