Close Calls You Miraculously Dodged?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bill Bauer, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you had any close calls/bullets that you had miraculously dodged?

Earlier this week, I slipped on my concrete driveway and fell backwards. I had instinctively moved my arms in such a way that I landed on my elbow and ripped my jacket. I came very close to hitting my head against concrete and getting a traumatic brain injury.

I know of a person who became a vegetable after falling from his bicycle when he rode without a helmet. I got lucky.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was hiking down a steep incline and got very close to falling head first on a rock with a 20 kg backpack on. This was 10 years ago. If that had happened, I would have been in trouble because I was in one of the most desolate areas in Sweden with no cell reception and no other safety measures. NOBODY else would have hiked that route for several weeks, possibly years.

It was scary, but the feeling of being 100 percent responsible for my own survival for 6 weeks during that summer was a very formative experience for me...

Glad you're alright by the way.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When I was 3 years old I stuck a fork into an outlet and got electrocuted a bit.

I chased a cat around a courtyard when I was 4 or so, tripped while running over a brick and fleeewww, my face literally slid across the concrete. Could have been really bad, I was lucky enough to spend 3 summers with terrible scabs all over my face. No scarring.

Around 5 our neighbor's aggressive Rottweiler jumped on me when I was playing and almost bit my face/neck. Luckily someone pulled the dog off before any damage happened.

When I was 12 I was hanging out in the tennis court in our apartment complex, and we were bouncing on the net. At some point I bounced too hard, flew up a couple feet and flew back and hit my head on the concrete and slid back. Surprised I didn't get a concussion, I still remember the sensation of hitting my head and it makes me shudder.

Same apartment complex - I was younger, probably 9 or so. I went to get the mail and our apartment was way at the back of the property, mail in the front. There was this creepy man getting the mail next to me. I started walking back and he was following me. I got scared and started running, and he started running too. Middle of the day so there weren't a ton of people around. At some point I remember looking back and he wasn't there anymore. Terrifying experience.

Endless times of tripping on stairs and being really really close to bad injuries.

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      Literrally just happened fifteen minutes ago. My coworker and I were taking taking out the trash, and he leaned a metal trash can lid against the wall. It slipped and slammed against the floor. (This is in a small archway/room, maybe the size of a jail cell.)

Luckily I was able to get my hands over my ears just as it hit the floor, narrowly averting an acoustic trauma. Kept my ears covered as it rattled a bit. Typing this in a supply closest because my heart is beating a mile a minute.

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      This goes back a bit but when I was a child, maybe 2 years of age, I fell off my grandparent's dock and into a canal. I was alone and I would have drowned if it wasn't for my brother who happened to arrive in time. Needless to say he saved my life.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same thing happened to me, and probably at around the same age. There was an electrical outlet near my bed, at my eye level in front of my face. I have a clear memory of sticking scissors into it and experiencing an electric shock. I wonder whether or not that was a close call. Perhaps all that did was blow a fuse.
      A man grabbed my mom (who was 13 at the time) as she was walking through a forest alone. She bit him and he proceeded to chase her through the woods for a couple of minutes. She was able to get away...

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad you were not hurt.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. A bit anxious, but I'm feeling a bit better now. I'll probably forget all about it in a day or so.

• Like Like x 1
    9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I had a mishap a while back ago, I was mopping my floor. It was icy winter and my backyard was a skating rink, Well I threw my bucket of water outside and I slipped on my icy stairs and slid all the way in the back of my backyard. I hurt my back and I'm calling for help and after a while my older son heard me and I told him to get Daddy. They had to use the Mop to pull me inside. My husband could have found me frozen next to the BBQ.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to have an apartment in a pre-war building. It had an old fashioned lighting fixture on the kitchen ceiling with one of those thick heavy covers. (I don't know how to describe it, but if it were to fall on a person's head it would probably shatter their skill.) It was right above the spot where I stand to wash dishes at the sink. One day I finished washing the dishes and a moment after I stepped away the light fixture crashed to the floor right next to me. If I had taken one or two extra seconds at the sink it would have busted my head open. The timing was uncanny. If I had any belief in the supernatural I would have thought my guardian angel protected me.

• Like Like x 4
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What movie is your avatar from?

Recently I watched "The Third Man (1949)"...

12. aot
      Depressed

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Maltese Falcon (1941)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks! I will check it out.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Yeppers. I think it happens to most people if you live long enough. Also depends on how you live and what you do as well. I've had 3 near death experiences in my 51 years. And I recall being calm as a Hindu cow about them as they unfolded. 'Huh. So this is how I go out. Never woulda thunk it.' was what was going through my head. Then you come around later in a great deal of pain thinking 'Eh, maybe dying would have been preferable.'

They asked Julius Caesar once 'Caesar, you've seen people die in every manner possible. Which then is the best way to die?' to which Caesar replied at once, 'Unexpectedly.'

• Like Like x 2
    15. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      In my early 20s I was a manual elevator operator, while working I swallowed a big chunk of a chocolate bar. I was silently choking with someone beside me. I was able to push it up & out. But was very real & scary!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    16. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I was a manual elevator operator (Otis) myself in my late teens, early 20s in midtown Manhattan. I actually really enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      Only thing I can think of was something that happened when I was 6 years old. Came dangerously close to having my right shoulder run over by a car. I was lying under the car and he almost crushed me.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a pretty uneventful childhood, just some close calls, my sibling was the one who got always in trouble. :)

I got electrocuted a bit when I touched a lamp which was short-circuited.

When kayaking around the age of 17, fell into the water and got into a whirlpool.

Slipped on the stairs, got a concussion and got my tailbone fractured. Couldn't sit for like 2 months. Hurt like hell. Could have been worse though if I hit my had more.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      That reminds me of the other big event in 1989. I was riding a crappy 10 speed bike carrying a bunch of drum skins in one hand on a very busy boulevard back when I was living in Montreal, lost my balance fell sideways. A big industrial truck ran over my bike mangled it. I injured my right leg pretty good but did recover...

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      When I was about 15 I was riding my bike with my best buddy. My back brake was not working at the time, but it didn't bother me. At one point he stopped near a sidewalk of an intersection. I was coming up quite fast from behind so I slammed the brakes. With unexpected force the brake locked up the front wheel and sent me flying over my bike. I swear I have no idea how I managed to turn on my back mid air. It was a pretty rough hit to the pavement, but my back took it ok. A half a second later the back wheel of the flipping bike came towards my head. I caught it with my both hands the way a ninja grabs a sword. I didn't get injured, aside from a long thin cut on the entire length of my forearm. Scraped against the bike as I left it probably. I've been waaay more careful biking ever since.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. jacob256

jacob256 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genuinely believe excessive sexual activity + stress
      I guess technically this may or may not count but sometime in like 2016-2017 I was working at dominos as a delivery driver and I had to go to an unknown/new address that was pretty far out. The instructions said to just wait in my car and he would come out-the customer came out of his door and I watched him pull a gun out and start walking toward my vehicle; I kept my own gun with me (it was against the rules but who cares) and I was probably 5 seconds away from shooting him and then he just started laughing because it was a joke to him to scare me like that. He tipped me $10 to compensate.

I had to deliver to this same guy another time much later and this time the instructions said just come to the door and I wasn't really thinking back on the last occurrence. He had this big dog that was barking a lot and he acted like he was holding it back and he freaked out when it "escaped his hold". It jumped on me and started licking me to death lol. I screamed, he laughed, and I once again got compensated with $10.

Funny enough, while still working at dominos, I had to go to ANOTHER new/unregistered address and this one was in the middle of nowhere. I started going up this hill thing that I thought was the driveway and it turned out that it wasn't so I had to back up. It was a rainy/muddy night and I ended up sliding off the side of the hill and landing stuck against an old abandoned truck. This sounds really dramatic but it wasn't all that bad haha...I also hit a deer on a different dark, rainy night while working at dominos.

Honestly, I really enjoyed that job but it wasn't worth it overall lol. Poor Honda got trashed.

• Like Like x 3
    22. humptydumpty69
      Cowabunga

humptydumpty69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Bruh, reading this thread makes me realize that I've had such close calls that there must be guardian angels--
      then again, I'm here with severe H, so...

Jackass 2 big red rocket

• Funny Funny x 1
    23. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      I always have a fear of choking... it takes me long to eat because I chew every bite I take of good so many times.

24. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      & I'm always mildly chocking on shit:cry::eek::D

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      Somebody when I was young on a three wheeler hit the throttle, it flipped, I went on the ground and the three wheeler flipped towards me. I moved and was probably 4" from having my belly button get stabbed by the kickstand.

Also there has been times where I was worried my wife was pregnant with a third kid.

26. JaiSea
      Cool

JaiSea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So, one night around 1pm I went to the local 7-11(in Tooting, London) to get supplies.
      On my way back, and walking fast, I was in deep thought about something and hardly aware of my surroundings when I suddenly got this feeling to slow down my pace; at the same moment a car drove by and the front passenger aimed a gun at me and pulled the trigger.
      The bullet passed in front of me and hit the wall to my right, splintering it.
      I just stood still, a bit freaked out.(The car just sped on).
      I then noticed someone parked near to me and asked if that really happened. He assured me it did happen.
      (btw I was not inebriated in any way).

What is even stranger than the event, is that I completely forgot about it for 6 months, when I suddenly remembered while talking to someone.
      I went to the police who informed that there were a series of drive-by shootings, at that time, by some crack-heads who were caught.

Anyway, I am glad you are ok.:)