Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Sven, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Lilah

Lilah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Lupus
      This past session, I made a list of all my anxieties (currently mostly tinnitus related), and my therapist and I developed counter responses to these anxieties. I thought it was helpful.

I do feel that I am running the session and taking the lead. The therapist asked me questions along the way and helped me develop my responses but in the end I was the one who came up with the responses. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

2. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      Seems like that's the whole point, having a person there to guide you into taking control of your life and being there to affirm this with you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Luman
      Tired

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I believe that it is the goal of classic CBT, which is meant to be short term therapy that teaches you how to retrain your mind. Learning how to spot thinking patterns that cause problems, and knowing how to correct them with better, more rational thoughts, is a cornerstone of the foundation of this therapy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      I am a member of the American Tinnitus Association. They just released a podcast with a psychologist, Dr. Bruce Hubbard, who has tinnitus and specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for those with tinnitus. You can hear the podcast here:

https://www.ata.org/podcasts/episode-10-habituation-tinnitus-using-cognitive-behavioral-therapy

In this podcast, he tells you what you need to know about CBT. He also has a lot of free resources for those with tinnitus on his website here:

https://www.cbtfortinnitus.com/cbt-for-tinnitus-resources

He says many people can complete CBT for tinnitus in as little as 2 to 10 sessions with someone who is trained in CBT for tinnitus but unfortunately most therapists are not adequately trained in CBT and don't know anything about tinnitus. On his resource page, he has a 90-minute webinar, a mindfulness meditation audio, recommendations for self-help books (he is working on one of his own) and other key self-help information to give it a go for yourself. He does offer coaching on dealing with tinnitus as well should you need/want that.

I suggest you give it a listen and look. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1