Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Sven, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Boot Camp! More like Poot Camp!

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    3. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Remember some of us are reliant on cures, as various therapies, which includes CBT, haven't worked for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Luman
      Spaced

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      There are therapists who actually have tinnitus, some have weathered rather severe cases, personally.

The main goal of CBT, as far as tinnitus, is to enable the patient to achieve habituation faster, which is not easily done without professional help. Nobody is claiming it is a miracle cure. Of course, 99.9% of those who have habituated, have never gone to a therapist for it, so it's a personal choice.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Very well said, thank you. What I’ve been trying to say is that for patients, there is a plurality of approaches to management, relief from distress, alleviation of symptoms, and, potentially someday soon (we hope), a cure. It’s called a holistic approach, and the people here bashing CBT don’t get it. I want to defend JohnAdams for a moment though: he’s on a mission to debunk what he sees as pseudoscientific babble, and I respect his enthusiasm and determination, if not his methods.

• Like Like x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I get it. CBT cult members think that some shrink, that doesn't even know you, can say some words to you, like a magic spell, that can reveal to you that they way you are thinking about your situation is what is causing you problems, not the actual problem itself. Then you pay this wizard for the air that comes out of his or her mouth. You're essentially paying for vibrating air.

Vibrating air is not a viable treatment for tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Luman
      Spaced

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Those who bash CBT do not distinguish between tinnitus and Tinnitus Distress. CBT can do nothing for the former, it's goal is to reduce the latter, which they refuse to acknowledge.

My hypothesis is that those who bash CBT, as a treatment for Tinnitus Distress, are against non-medical methods of relief because they believe that it is placating people, which in their view, reduces the need and/or demand for a scientific cure.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      If you decide to go for it, all the best mate. There is a lot of information online and a good few books as well so maybe read them.

I had CBT for my OCD tendencies a while back and that helped me a lot if that’s any consolation. I know this or any type of therapy doesn’t work for everyone, that’s the just the way it is. I have seen the good it can do, well therapy in general (I’m still on the fence in regards to what it can do for tinnitus) but if it helps great.

Therapy in general can be beneficial for people, sometimes we need that guide to give us that nudge in the right direction to get out of whatever dark place we are in as our emotional distress can stop us from thinking logically. It’s not as simple as “what can a person tell us that we don’t already know” unfortunately some people are that lost, alone and in so much pain that they actually don’t have the answers for how they are feeling or how to get out of it.

anyway good luck my man.

• Like Like x 3
    9. all to gain

all to gain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dirty drugs
      As much as CBT is a load of bollocks, I now wish that 20 years ago i had gone down the CBT route only instead of the Prozac route combined with a little CBT to treat my OCD. If I had, I may not be on a tinnitus forum now.

Fast forward to today, I don't think CBT will do anything for me in my tinnitus situation, but it's basically all I've got. Bad tinnitus is a different animal to OCD, but the two combined equal up shit creek without a paddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      After discussing this on the forum, I don't think I will go for CBT. I am a true believer the benefits of therapy (as if one needs to "believe" in science to make it real). But for now I seem to be coping well enough. The main things I'm pursuing are hearing aids (which indisputably help) and curcumin (which I started last night based on @JohnAdams prompt). I'll leave CBT open for the future though, if the T gets worse or if I lose the ability to cope. I don't think anyone should write off CBT completely--it has strong evidential support--but I'm taking a pass for now. Cheers, mate.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      That’s great man, I hope you continue to move forward, I forgot to add about the curcumin. The fact you are coping in a huge plus, as I said I’m not sure if CBT would of helped but it’s there as an option. Hope the hearing aids help as well. Good luck :)

• Like Like x 1
    12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is some insight into what these arrogant shrinks think about us:

Meet Rilana Cima:
      upload_2019-11-1_12-28-49.png
      And Dyon Scheijen:
      upload_2019-11-1_12-54-57.png
      Rilana Cima: 'I am a psychologist and started looking at pain and phobic symptoms. Exposing to it helps people get rid of a phobia, just think of a spider phobia. ' Thus, Cima et al. developed an exposure-based treatment.
      "Many people with tinnitus are going to mask the sound, they are going to use noise." And this is what Dyon Scheijen, who is working with Rilana Cima said: 

"With tinnitus a signal is given every time: This is not good for you. If we can change that with cognitive behavioral therapy and allow the sound, we will ensure recovery. "

https://zorgnu.avrotros.nl/uitzendi...len/item/tinnitus-van-maskeren-naar-toelaten/

They think the reason it bothers us is because it is like a spider phobia, which is antattitude that can be changed by not using masking and getting used to it. How stupid can these people be? Who would actually give an idiot like this the time of day? These are people with high paying jobs that are actually useless and are causing damage to us as a community.

At the end of the day, their approach to tinnitus is that it is our fault that it bothers us because we are letting it bother us, which is not right.

Even if this was right, why would we need to pay someone to tell us to not let it bother us? That's what CBT is, just listen to your tinnitus and accept it and don't let it bother you. Why do we need them to tell us this in an expensive therapy session? It's a scam.

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why aren't these pricks going around and lobbying the medical community to stop prescribing anti-depressants that cause tinnitus and recommending CBT, which that would actually be useful for?

That would be a better use for their shrink bullshit.
      It should go like this:
      I'm sad -> doctor -> CBT
      Not like this:
      I'm sad -> doctor -> anti-depressants -> tinnitus -> I'm sadder and stressed from tinnitus -> CBT

Notice the latter makes more money for those involved. :troll:

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Been going to CBT every other week for one year. I can’t say it has stopped or lower the tinnitus but it does give me some answers to negative thinking. If you have a negative thought you need to have a rational response. Example; this sucks, why me. I hate my life. Rational response: OK it is what I have, I can accept it. There’s a lot of other really great things in my life I just need to accept, adjust and proceed with life. It shows you how to slap yourself and stop being so self centered. There are things are worse than tinnitus. Mine is high pitch hiss 24/7.

My friend has ALS, now that really sucks. My lousy tinnitus is peanuts in comparison.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great, that's the answer. You have revealed the formula. Now why are shrinks charging money to tell you exactly this?

16. ajc

ajc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Why do athletes and CEOs have mental coaches?

Why are there personal trainers, when you can learn all about nutrition and exercise by yourself?

Are you really this stupid, John?

Sometimes people need the 1-on-1 coaching, to feel human, and to be motivated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But that's not what they are selling it is. They are selling it as a treatment for TINNITUS and characterizing the mental distress it causes us as a phobia, an irrational fear. Do you agree that the distress it causes is based on an irrational fear? Answer that question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      The Daily Mail? I’m guessing you’re not from the UK...

19. ajc

ajc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I don't agree with that... no.

You are right about that, it doesn't strike me right for anyone to say that the distress tinnitus causes is based on an irrational fear. That is horseshit. Anyone who says that should be put in a chamber with tinnitus sounds blasting 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My therapist says point blank that I they are not here to stop my tinnitus noise but maybe they can help with my reaction towards it.

Maybe we are just weak people who seek CBT, but we are creatures who need other people to help with certain situations. It’s your choice to go it alone or have someone to talk to.

As far as them getting paid, why not? It’s my choice to pay him.

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well man, that is what I'm arguing against, and it is horseshit. I'm not arguing against seeing a therapist or a mental coach in general if that's what you want, but that is the basis for CBT in relation to tinnitus, that is literally what they believe and it is essentially the standard of care right now. These evil people are making careers out of selling this notion and it is causing harm to the overall patient community.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Are you implying the CBT is overused? You may be correct. I just saw a TV commercial that is using CBT for weight loss. I think it was called Loom?
      Why not just put the fork down. Lol.
      Peace my friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      CBT worked for me (in addition of medication). But I had setbacks due to issues with my medication (dropping plasma levels..).

So I decided that I needed something better than medication alone. I'm sure that the medication calmed my feelings on T & H. However when things went south with medication the feelings on T & H

So I started CBT again during the current set-back, it helped me to realize that one day the meds will be ok again and my feelings will become less/better.

But as said I won't trust my medications alone anymore, so we started ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy). And this is helping a lot; Basically I decided to say "T you are annoying, you are the beast that made me suicidal.. But this time I accept the feelings you are giving me, and will pick up my life with you and your feelings".

I'm in the early stage of the therapy but I think this will help me more than CBT alone. As now I decide to continue life with these feelings instead of getting them away by trying to think positive.

• Like Like x 3