Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Sven, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      upload_2019-10-30_16-51-24.png
      but muh science

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      No need to be a dick John, he’s being more than civil with you. We get it you don’t like CBT, it’s holding back a cure Blah Blah Blah, funny enough I agree with that but as a so called Christian maybe he a little more compassion towards people that are suffering and wanting to find something that may help them.

Fact is there is NO known cure as of yet!! FACT!! Maybe there is one out there but until then, if it helps a person deal with this hell then use a bit of your Christian spirit and don’t be absolute cockwobble to people who being more than civil with you.

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      I agree. I can't believe for one second @JohnAdams is a Christian, he's so rude and heartless. Indecent really.

If someone wants to try CBT and thinks it helps, let them, and don't be a butthole...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, civilly promoting bullshit that makes our situation even worse because it makes our suffering seem like it is our fault for not accepting it. That is pure evil. Go tell a quadriplegic that their depression is their fault for not accepting it.
      Elijah mocked Baal priests, Jesus whipped the money changers, and called the Pharisees children of their father the Devil. Your standard of what a Christian should be means absolutely nothing to me. Part of being a Christian is standing up against evil, which this is. I said I was going to wreck people pushing this evil crap and I'm keeping my word.

• Winner Winner x 3
    5. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That I agree 100 if it helps then that’s great. I do think too many funds are wasted on CBT/mindfulness and do hold back advancement for a cure, I don’t think we can learn that much more about CBT etc. The thing I don’t get is when somebody asks for some help about CBT or whatever the mob mentality comes out in force and rains down on them.

Yeah I question that as well, he comes across as big troll most of the time. I don’t think he’s heartless though, that I disagree with but he certainly doesn’t come across as a Christian at all, likes to quite a lot of verses but doesn’t follow them especially the be kind to others. Go figure eh :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lol, I have 2 engineering degrees, and I have a job writing software for a multinational building materials manufacturer with over 50 factories around the world. I know what real science is and I also know how easily scientific data can be massaged and manipulated to make it seem like there is a positive correlation between variables. This is more than likely the case with CBT. People like you truly are muh science and you don't even have a clue.

Did you not read the above testimony from our worthy fellow sufferer that stated she went through multiple CBT sessions which did nothing and her husband used that as a justification for destroying their marriage? You have problems.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where does CBT teach you that if you can’t move forward then it’s your fault? I’m not sure you are getting what CBT is? I know it’s not for everybody and at the end of the day if it helps somebody suffering until we see a cure I disagree.

Yeah CBT is pure evil, how dare somebody trying to help somebody overcome a difficult time be compared to the devil.

Who are you wrecking BTW? How about use some of your “wrecking” abilities and make a change outside of this forum, the amount of time you spend on here you could be making some little waves you know on the outside where it might actually help. I appreciate your experiments you do to try and get rid of tinnitus but seriously you ain’t Moses mate haha.

9. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Lol, yerself, Mr. Science. I have two grad degrees: a M.S. with a minor in biostatistics, and a PhD in Biology. I generate, analyze, interpret, and communicate scientific data on a daily basis. I was happy to deliberate and discuss this with you until it got ugly. I chimed in on this forum with an honest question about the efficacy of CBT (not a rant or a preconceived notion), and you have "elevated" it to a mudfight. You truly are a spiteful troll.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whatever man, you can say what you want about me at least you cant claim I'm pro CBT. You can go around and blame all of us for our own suffering all you want but that doesnt make you right.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But they cannot help. Hypnotizing someone into accepting their suffering is not helping. Its called being a parasite. It is the ultimate form of snake oil. You are arguing that these shrinks know something special about the human mind that the sufferer does not. Its total insanity.

12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      No it's not. If CBT helps someone lead a productive and happy life despite hearing a noise that doesn't exist, then good for them.

CBT demonstrably helps a lot of people, you are nobody to say otherwise. Just like you hope nobody would diminish your or anyone else's suffering, nobody should diminish anyone else feeling better because of CBT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think CBT should be classified on the same level as other things people might want to try that may be of a little benefit, like acupuncture but the problem is that it is elevated to be the answer and if you don't get relief, it's your fault. Most therapies don't have that kind of sentiment behind them from my experience. I could see this helping a 3/10 tinnitus but what about the "jet engine" loud?

I can't speak for John, but my personal problem with CBT is that it is presented as universally effective if you are determined enough and mentally healthy enough and i don't think that's true at all.

What I'm rallying against is the use of it to dismiss the suffering as "not wanting to get better". That certainly isn't the "point" of CBT but it is a consequence of the way it's often promoted.

Re: John. I see his passion as evidence he cares. He's already reported personal improvements yet he's just as active here trying to make sure more of us don't kill ourselves before an actual viable treatment is here.

Does he sometimes come off as salty? Sure. But whether or not someone is "Christian" (or any other religion) shouldn't be dependent on how well they stick to social norms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why does CBT need to be with a therapist? Why cant it be written down in a book? You CBT goons are pushing the notion that some shrink knows more about what is going on in your head than you do. If there are in fact mental strategies to help you cope with tinnitus, it should be free knowledge, not something that you need to pay for. At the end of the day CBT is this:
      Does your tinnitus bother you?
      Then just don't.
      Here's the bill.

Seriously, you CBT squads are the enemy of mankind. I hope you're proud of yourselves. You are the epitome of brainwashed robots. You're promoting the idea that we can pay people to talk to us to help our tinnitus because we are too stupid to explore and manage our own thoughts. You are worms. Actually I take that back because it is an insult to actual worms.

I'm so "anti-science" that I'm a huge proponent of mammalian hair cell regeneration technology, which is actually on the forefront of technology and a major leap in human knowledge about how the human body can be hacked to treat diseases. You guys are truly insane. Go take your CBT propaganada and do "something" with it.

Also, what else do I promote? Curcumin and turmeric. Something that several users in this forum have found that actually decreases tinnitus intensity. So go ahead, keep promoting nonsense that has absolutely no effect on actually tinnitus. You're just hypnotism shills.

15. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Never blamed you or anyone else for their own suffering, never have. Not even trying to be "right." I was literally just asking--as a newcomer to this forum and to forms of tinnitus management in general--about the efficacy of CBT. You've thoroughly driven home your points against CBT. Thanks for the info.

16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is what the problem is:
      Universities are an industrial complex and they are graduating more psychologists and psychiatrists than there is a market for so they have to make up areas for them to have jobs in and one of those markets is that of the tinnitus sufferers. They want to sell you words, because that is the only thing they can produce.

17. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Are there any resources/info on the forms & dosages for these that don't involve reading 1,000 threads on the forum?

18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really. It's a safe compound you can really just get some, and research the brand to see if it is reputable and take a bunch. I took 12 grams a day for about 5 or so weeks and it didnt hurt me at all. It just stained all my socks yellow. You probably dont need 12 grams per day and you can experiment day to day and see what works for you. I am down to 2-3 grams as my nominal dose. If you do try it, try it always with food. Also, try it at different times of day. I have found for myself that it works best with dinner, and recently, a further improvement when taking it with breakfast.It also has anti cancer, anti alzheimers, anti oxidative stress properties, as well as otoprotective properties. Try it. If it works for you, which so far it seems to only help a minority subgroup, then help me in spreading the news. Figuring out what subgroup(s) that this works on and thus why it works, could help further research into to how this dumbass disease even works.

• Useful Useful x 1
    19. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Which minority subgroup?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not exactly sure. I have followed the responses of several people that have tried it and it only seems to affect certain people, and it is less than half of the people that try it. I cannot speak for them, but my tinnitus type is from aspirin mixed with noise and I have a "normal" audiogram. Mine is somatic and fluctuates.

21. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss

does curcumin permanently help tinnitus ?

22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't think so, not for me. It seems like it only really works while it is in your system.

23. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Good luck waiting for your science cure. Calling people who support behavioral therapy to learn how to cope with tinnitus distress, through psychology, "goons", "brainwashed robots", "worms", "hypnotism shills", etc., smacks of frustration, resentment, insecurity and meanness.

It takes courage to face extremely challenging disorders such as tinnitus distress. CBT is a boot camp of training for that quality, and works for many other problems as well, for a lot of people. Go ahead and take your spices as a remedy, if that works for you. Those of us who have found strength and coping skills through the sciences of the mind don't have to prove anything to you, or anybody else.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    25. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Boot Camp! More like Poot Camp!

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    26. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Remember some of us are reliant on cures, as various therapies, which includes CBT, haven't worked for us.

• Agree Agree x 4
    27. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are therapists who actually have tinnitus, some have weathered rather severe cases, personally.

The main goal of CBT, as far as tinnitus, is to enable the patient to achieve habituation faster, which is not easily done without professional help. Nobody is claiming it is a miracle cure. Of course, 99.9% of those who have habituated, have never gone to a therapist for it, so it's a personal choice.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Seth4kHz

Seth4kHz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Very well said, thank you. What I’ve been trying to say is that for patients, there is a plurality of approaches to management, relief from distress, alleviation of symptoms, and, potentially someday soon (we hope), a cure. It’s called a holistic approach, and the people here bashing CBT don’t get it. I want to defend JohnAdams for a moment though: he’s on a mission to debunk what he sees as pseudoscientific babble, and I respect his enthusiasm and determination, if not his methods.

• Like Like x 1
    29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I get it. CBT cult members think that some shrink, that doesn't even know you, can say some words to you, like a magic spell, that can reveal to you that they way you are thinking about your situation is what is causing you problems, not the actual problem itself. Then you pay this wizard for the air that comes out of his or her mouth. You're essentially paying for vibrating air.

Vibrating air is not a viable treatment for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    30. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Those who bash CBT do not distinguish between tinnitus and Tinnitus Distress. CBT can do nothing for the former, it's goal is to reduce the latter, which they refuse to acknowledge.

My hypothesis is that those who bash CBT, as a treatment for Tinnitus Distress, are against non-medical methods of relief because they believe that it is placating people, which in their view, reduces the need and/or demand for a scientific cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1