Completely Recovered from My Hyperacusis and Chronic Ear Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by yonkapin, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      Will take your advice thanks and hope it works for me too.

2. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I try to follow your advice and get used to everyday noises but it is not easy. I mean do you go in a noisy cafe and stay for hours or a few minutes first and increase it everyday?I find it torture to stay too long or will I get used to it in time? Thanks again. You are an inspiration to me. God bless you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      It will take time to adjust. Do things at a comfortable pace and don't rush yourself. Get some custom mold musicians ear plugs and have them on hand in case you need them.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      This. I also recovered from chronic ear pain and H. A lot of what @yonkapin original post mentions I dealt with. Deep ear pain. Issues just being on city streets (I work in Manhattan). Trigeminal involvement where I'd feel it in my face.

These days I have manageable, despite annoying, tinnitus about 2 days a week. The other 5 days or so I'm really fine and really have to look for it.

GET CUSTOM EAR PLUGS AND WEAR THE HELL OUT OF THEM. Your ears need rest and customs will allow you to slowly reduce the filtration. My ears feel fine most of the time and I still wear mine when it gets loud (bars, the train, when my friends are drunk and are likely to scream in my ear accidentally, etc).

I had hyperacusis and I play live music again 2 years later. You can too.

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. Oredogg

Oredogg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probable chemical/biotoxin exposure
      @yonkapin

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I truly hope you continue to recover.

I don’t usually follow this forum, nor have I posted here, but felt compelled after reading this thread of yours. Reading about recoveries, such as yours, gives me and others suffering with this miserable beast of a condition a glimpse of hope. Personally, I really needed to hear about someone recovering from severe hyperacusis and chronic ear pain via a route that doesn’t necessarily involve sound generators. Just common sense, careful, and systematic desensitization.. over time.

I have very severe hyperacusis (LDLs down to 40 dB in higher frequencies), chronic ear pain (mainly burning type deep in ears and radiates to scalp, cheek, forehead, etc.; it’s a trigeminal nerve distribution) and sound reactive tinnitus for almost 11 months now. Been to countless Dr appointments and have been properly diagnosed and working with a H&T trainer audiologist since last November. So far, lots of little ups and downs without any lasting improvements. Just when I think I have turned the corner I get nailed with another setback. I could not tolerate regular TRT due to worsening ear pain. I tried customized sound generator frequencies (cutting off high end) and had to stop that also due to ear pain. My audiologist has nothing more to offer for the pain issue, which ironically is my worst symptom, and the one keeping me from desensitization. It’s frustrating how little most audiologists know about hyperacusis with pain, seeing that it’s so common in this condition. Although extremely brutal at times, I am forcing myself to keep going to work to keep a roof over our heads, as long as I can. The only way I can manage this is by wearing my musician etymotics plugs or foam earplugs when needed, multiple times a day, and trying to limit them in situations where I have more control of environment (Home, in car, etc). I haven’t given up on sound therapy entirely as I am attempting to wean myself back to listening to music, very very slowly and gently, after some kind advice from a fellow sufferer. I have had marginal help from several pharmaceuticals, some for pain and some for sleep aid. Corticosteroids have seemed to help in past and I may try that route again during these flare ups.

Reading your story gives me hope that, given more time, my ears might just calm down without formal sound generator treatment, like yours have. I am going through a nasty and, quite honestly, demoralizing setback at the moment (after several months without pain). It sounds like you’ve been through similar. At 11 months into this without much improvement, it’s hard not to start wondering if this will ever abate. I’ve dealt with a number of challenging pain issues in my life, but nothing even comes close to hyperacusis ear pain. Any advice on how you were able to cope with this and see your way through it is appreciated.

All the best,
      Oredogg

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Thank you for the kind words!

Your experience sounds very much like what I had to go through. It took me a long time, and at times I felt that I was doomed to suffer forever but it did go away! You'll also recover, just keep a positive mindset, and as you mentioned: just use common sense and systematic desensitization. There will be ups and downs but you'll get through it.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    7. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      More people should post their long term experiences with T and H. These posts can be life savers.
      thnak you!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      What do you think caused your hyperacusis? Was it barotrauma?

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I am very happy your condition completely healed, but I feel like it is less common for painful hyperacusis to go away completely then it is for it to be chronic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I envy you, but also happy for you. I wish mine would go.

11. Adil Bari

Adil Bari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise DJ
      Hey love reading about your recovery <3

My hyperacusis started in July and spiked again in August. How long should I wait to start going out in the world and exposing myself to get use to outside sounds again. 6 months? or is it better to start now.

Thanks just curious on your opinion.

12. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Depends what you mean by outside sounds. I believe to permanently avoid >80 db exposures without hearing protection. Dont want this whole cycle to start again when you are finally improving.

That being said, I have been able to walk alongside a moderately busy road with random trucks without spiking more than once now. I just cover my ears if it gets too loud.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That must be so hard to achieve unless you go everywhere with hearing protection. Noises can come out of nowhere.

14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @all to gain I really dont wear much hearing protection out. There is just one road I walk along that has trucks at a higher speed.

I dont protect in the parking lot or store. Once I had a big rig blow their air horn and spiked for 2 wks, but it went back to baseline.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @PeteJ - the OP seems to have some symptoms in common with you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      It is nice to know that a small minority of people with hyperacusis can fully recover like yonkapin has. But that is rare. So any of you that are new to hyperacusis, you can improve but you will probably never recover fully. I have had it for 24 years and expect to die this way.

There was a young woman named Anne1994 who posted at that time, who was very new to hyperacusis. She asked whether she could go back to nightclubs. I did not read every post in the thread, and I do not expect she will read this, but for her or anyone: DO NOT GO TO NIGHTCLUBS, LIKE EVER!! (unless you are the very rare person who fully recovered.

Marco

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      So true. That's why hearing protection is needed.

18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      When do you use them?

Do you consider your tinnitus severe and loud?

Your left ear pain problem sounds similar to mine. I don't understand how it's hyperacusis if it's just one ear mostly. My ear pain hasn't been as severe recently but just tonight, it got really painful. It ruined my night and I already have severe loud high pitched tinnitus of several tones.

The ear pain makes everything worse.

I was hoping the ear pain issue was improving but the pain increased again. I also had some amplified sounds in my apartment and I don't recall the last time I had that.

I hope you reply. I haven't read of very many people with quite the same issue but I guess hyperacusis cases vary just as much as tinnitus? :-(

19. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      This sounds like me. Is there any way I’ll be able to gain my hearing back? When I’m in a car I can only hear loud noises, I can barely hear myself whisper...

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Bumping this thread as it really gives me hope.

I feel my loudness hyperacusis has been easing since I got it nearly 3 years ago. It's not been a linear easing, but about once a year it seems to ease over a few weeks, or even just in a day or two.

This seems to be similar to the easing mentioned in the OP although he describes pain hyperacusis symptoms compared to mine. Maybe there is a commonality in the healing process for some of us.

• Like Like x 3
    21. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      This sure gives hope!