Concert — Rihanna — Earplugs/Earmuffs

Discussion in 'Support' started by alexandrrax, Jun 20, 2016.

1. alexandrrax

alexandrrax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey guys!This is probably in the wrong topic but oh well.I'm 16 and half and got my tinnitus in 2014 more exactly, just randomly, but I think one or two nights parties affected my ear.I went to a very good doctor due to (loss of the hearing to an ear) and he said there is no loss...my mind is playing tricks but it wasnt and the tinnitus cause was BRACES.I got my braces off finally and it didnt stop.It's pitched it really bothered me when it started,anxiety and paranoia, depression but now I started to live with it and dont think I even hear it anymore!only at night
      But my concern is that a while ago I have bought a concert ticket.Rihanna ticket and now I really cant sell it, no one wantsit is a seating one really up(bad for vertigo) but i was told speakers are everywhere which i think it is true.It is really far from the scene but still...So I have bought a pair of earplugs which block the sound for 25-30 DB i believe.I COULD NOT GET EARMUFFS.I can't order them anymore since the concert is tomorrow.What can I do?I have the earplugs..what else can i do to protect my ears?thank you guys

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Alexandra,
      If you go and find it to much you can always leve.
      It also depends on how you would cope if your tinnitus did get worse from going..could you cope mentally.

You are always more vulnerable now and a cold could make it worse even if you did not go the concert so you can see what I mean.
      Good luck if you go......lots of love glynis

3. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Don't go. Imagine getting worse t from a Rihanna concert. Damn, that would be a good reason for suicide.
      Instead of going, search youtube for some quality music, such as Pulp, Blur, Radiohead, The Verve, even Oasis, what the hell.
      Listen on low volume and enjoy.

Hey, no problem.

4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Ear plugs give false sense of security.....25db plugs only give you 9db protection....

I went with 25db plugs thinking that i will leave if its too loud but i did leave but not soon enough and i have T since 2.5 months....

Take my advice and dont go ...its not worth it...Trust me

5. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I shall explain later when i go home:)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Still want to sell them? Maybe some desperate people would be ready to buy them at the entrance of the venue.

8. RAY
      Lurking

RAY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus in left ear
      A couple of hours of pleasure could give you a life time of misery, ask yourself, would it be worth the risk just for one concert.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      And if you prefer to avoid this risk (which would be my choice but it's obviously up to you..), you can give the ticket to a friend ;)

10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I have been to a few concerts with ear plugs and have been fine. The choice is yours.

Having said that. So many people dont wear ear protection, i don't get it, is tinnitus going to become very common? It would seem so.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A friend you don't like.

• Funny Funny x 4
    12. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Which kind of earplugs do you have? The foamy ones are not that good, you can get a musician earplug and amazon can probably deliver tomorrow. I would go, and if you find it's too loud, just leave and get a molded earplug for you to wear next time ;)

Protect yourself and live your life!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @alexandrrax why do you want ear muffs if you have ear plugs ?
      Ear plugs actually give more decibel protections than ear muffs
      26 v 33 (foam ear plugs )
      Enjoy the concert

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alexandrrax

alexandrrax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey guys thank you for all the replies!
      I have some plugs called EARPLANES(yeah i know weird) I got today but it says they block 25 DB.They are not foam though.
      I have earplugs I just wanted to be safer with earmuffs.
      This is true, I will probably go only if I will get earmuffs which is kind of impossible.
      Anyways thanks y'all!!

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @alexandrrax: Earplanes are designed to be used for flying by easing inner ear pressure. They aren't really meant for sound protection, although they do cut down the volume. I fly with them all the time.

I would worry about going even if I could get ear muffs. Your bones actually conduct sound as well, especially very loud sound with very heavy bass notes. I bought tickets to a St. Vincent concert about a year ago, payed a lot of money and even took precautions to sit toward the back. Had ear plugs and ear muffs. I walked out after about four songs. No more concerts like that for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It really depends on fit, the foam ones will give you higher attenuation if they fit correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Is a concert worth the risk? I got my t from a concert which I would have gladly not gone to if I had known what can happen.

18. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      @alexandrrax Same thing happened to me. Take care of yourself. Give the ticket away and then buy a recording that you can listen to and control the volume.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Go to the venue @alexandrrax . Sell your ticket for what you can get and listen to the concert from OUTSIDE the venue.

I went to one concert that has destroyed my life as I knew it. Buy some dvds of her concert and watch in the safety of your home. Don't make your nerve damage worse, where if you do further damage, you possibly won't enjoy any music anymore. Yes that happens!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

You can get a STD by having sex. You could get run over by a car crossing the street. If you have PROTECTED sex it lowers the odds of having problem. By checking both sides before crossing you lower the odds of being run over. A lot of musicians have Tinnitus (Hell, I used to play the drums). A lot of them keep playing even with Tinnitus, only with good protection.

By this "avoid potential problems" reasoning you end up giving up on life itself. Have sex, cross the street, go to wherever you like with good earplugs. As in anything else in life, have a good strategy and achieve your goals ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    21. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't go to very many concerts anymore, but I've been to ~a half dozen since my T got worse, always with plugs, never any problems. Others have different experiences. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

A Foam earplug or other low quality filters may be good enough for industrial environments where your only aim is to reduce your decibel exposure. You can research this if you like but they also distort the sound when you need fidelity, etc. So, you may not be protected across the frequency spectrum, and some musicians complain that this unbalanced plugs give them Hyperacusis.

A filtered earplug will even out things a bit. It will feel less weird to your ears, even out your protection and decrease the odds you'll get hyperacusis afterwards.

23. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      so what I don't understand is - how do earplugs drop sound 12, 15, 25, 32 decibels - when a decibel is a not an exact unit. 10 decibels from 120 - 130 is a huge difference than from 70-80.

Also - while the noise reduction ratings on foam earplugs aren't actual numbers, I understand that musicians earplugs actaully are the number specified (e.g. Westone custom molds)

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    24. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      just saw an old post where Dr Nagler said he was going to a Rolling Stones concert. Draw your own conclusion from that :)

• Like Like x 1
    25. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I conclude that Nagler is not a rihanna fan?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    26. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I thought you said before that your tinnitus got worse after a concert? Was that only one without plugs?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alexandrrax

alexandrrax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey guys thanks for the replies
      I went to sell my ticket and the girl did not turn up.Bad I guess eh.I went it, took very long breaks-toilet breaks in the stadium, with earplugs.Totally I went to the seats and I was there for about total max 1 hour-1 hour 15 mins.Yes I did get a spike, but not only a spike I can't hear that well.I had earplugs yes and I wonder is it much damage?I usually got spikes before when I was going to the nightclub/parties.Went after 2 days..I think is it normal, what would you say guys
      ?
      btw.i will never ever again go to a concert!

28. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      It's plausible that you're anxious, and that is what is causing it. Many pro musicians, even ones with severe tinnitus still play.

Curious - what kind of plugs did you wear?

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      alexandrrax

alexandrrax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wanted to get customed plugs but there was no time!I got some plugs(obviously not me and my mom got the wrong ones) some plugs for airplanes, better than foam though, saying on the packet they reduce by 24-25 DB.And yes I am anxious, it is a bit better now but there is definitely a spike :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, but it was the last one without plugs ;)

• Hug Hug x 1