Constant Pain in the Left Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is just a matter of time. Rest for 2 weeks, see how it goes. The use of earmuffs or earplugs shouldnt cause any ear issues, unless you got an infection due to dirty earplugs or something like that.. but if a Dr looked at your ears you can probably rule that out.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Rest how?

Do you know my situation?

My dr thought I have an ear infection but I dunno. I am taking amoxicillin and scared about what it might do but many say they took it with no ill-effect.

I went in a store and now t is starting ramp up. I need a strategy and plan. I think plugs cause pain right now so I need new muffs and open to ideas.

Can someone please advise on driving and going into stores? I am begging, on my hands and knees for ideas and opinions.

I have no faith in my own decisions because they always seem like the wrong ones.

My only thought is to get muffs which are a little lighter and hopefully, less hard on my ears and area.

The X4A is hard on my ear and the suction is very tight. I have read on here some owners of this model have no problem and others created a thread about it bothering them. Two opposite experiences for the same product! See?!? I would like to 'rest and protect' but I need something that won't aggravate my ears and surrounding area. Isn't it frustrating when you have to choose between ear pain and hearing protection? I shouldn't have to do that!!!! :-(

3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There isnt much more to it than using hearing protection, earplugs or earmuffs. The other option is staying all the time at home or at a place where you can rest and be in silence, avoiding noise.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I would but I would surely go insane. If I could move, it would be easier to stay inside longer. But, right now....

I wish ear plugs were an option but I have inflammation of my ear canals and the last time I used foam plugs, I had extreme ear pain that happened after wearing them after a few minutes, maybe 5. In my right ear.

So, I thought light comfortable muffs might be worth a try but I have to choose something. Peltor prime 98 maybe? I thought maybe silicone plugs might not cause pain. Are they comfortable? The other concern is they might not protect enough.

The muffs might be good for the car and in stores. I wish I could find something that would be good for outside my building which has traffic including large trucks and sirens.

I need to solve this asap.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Peltor makes good earmuffs. The old Optime III is somehow wider and more comfortable, in my opinion. The Peltor X5 is probably better in terms of sound attenuation, but I have not tried them myself. The Green peltor from the X series is more compact, less comfortable than the Optime III. The Green model is the X3 I think.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have left ear pain again. I am not going to wear the X4A anymore. I should thrown them out. I don't want to go through this again.

I am not meant to live, I guess.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @PeteJ I wouldn't be concerned with noise blocking headphones or muffs, but bending head down forward because of weight may place pressure to the jaw from the c spine for those with neck and jaw tinnitus. Forward head bending isn't something that one should do a lot of when there's jaw and c spine issues.

My do list for tinnitus. A cotton head net at home will help with dust (ear wax) from a heater or air conditioner. Staying clear of people coughing. If you go to an ER wear a cotton mask over nose and mouth in the waiting room. Ask for one when you walk in. I use a little magnesium and sometimes a little B12. Get some sunlight and drink the recommended amount of water. The respiratory and digestive systems is important with tinnitus. A balanced diet with green vegies, but not to eat before bed so you can sleep. Oral care - rinsing and brushing. Posture - keeping shoulders relaxed and limit forward head bending. Keeping jaw relaxed - lips together.

Otalgia (ear pain) aggravated by mandibular movement is a common cause. Maintain good mouth posture.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Have you been diagnosed with hyperacusis or anything?

What are doctors trying to do to help you?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Who would do that? The GPs? Doctors aren't doing anything to help me. Isn't that the theme here for most people?

I am still waiting to see the ENT I was referred to over 3 months ago. I suspect he won't do anything. I need to remember to decline any tests?

I think I have minor hyperacusis. I am hoping it will go away. I had (have) pain in my right ear today. Not major, it just worries me. I haven't put on my muffs today. So, it is from noise or sound I have heard? I went for a long walk today. This might be a dumb question but is it okay to expose our ears to birds? They can seem pretty loud. Anyway, I do cover my ears to the hallway and lobby doors in the apartment building. Also, the traffic if it seems too loud and mostly around the intersection and along the street beside the building. Is that okay or not?

I fear the ear pain came from noise I heard today. I thought the hyperacusis was improving but maybe it stalled a bit. I don't hear the amplified sounds as often but someone sounded louder than they should have in the elevator a bunch of days ago. I mentioned that in a previous post someplace.

The tinnitus was briefly lower this morning for around 3 - 5 minutes give or take. But, spiking again.

To recap: loud, piercing tinnitus, ear pain in both ears from time to time, is it just hyperacusis or is it also exacerbated by wearing muffs or ear plugs? I am living downtown which means at any time, sirens can go by, noisy trucks, cars with loud mufflers and wait, at any random time, fire and smoke alarms.

I have anxiety but you have to admit, this is the least safe/acceptable living area for tinnitus/hyperacusis sufferers.

10. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      It definitely sounds like you have hyperacusis as many of the sounds you are listing such as birdsong and traffic (at ordinary volumes not sirens) are those "normal" level sounds which will affect someone with hyperacusis.

When you do see your ENT you need to emphasise strongly the extent of your problems and explain that you need help - possibly from audiology or therapy. I wouldn't automatically decline any tests he/she may offer as this may mean that he/she feels that they can't help you further.

Longer-term I would definitely look at trying to move outside the city centre - as you say it's the sort of place where alarms/sirens frequently go off which is only going to aggravate your tinnitus.

• Genius Genius x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Ear pain again this afternoon/ evening! :(

I just want to end the suffering but don't know the best way how. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      When will this man be officially diagnosed with cochlear neuropathy, knowing is half the battle.

It's so damn stupid! Audiology is in the stone age compared to other medical fields. Hearing aid salesmen are going to mal-serve people with hearing problems that cannot be treated through hearing aids.

This thread reflects the failure of audiologist ,ENT's and Jastreboff's TRT.

13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      What in the world is hyperacusis?

Pain from noises?

Noises sounding too loud?

Alloydnia around the ear?

irritating middle ear Muscle spasms from noise?

Ear fullness from noise?

There are too many definitions of the same word, not useful for anyone say hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      When do you have your ENT appointment? - Be sure to explain how you are feeling and to accept tests which they might offer. If you cannot wait until then do go to the emergency department of your nearest hospital.

15. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      So the usual definition of hyperacusis is finding "everyday normal level" sounds painful. That could easily include closing a door, putting a plate down on a table etc - if you find these sounds painful then you probably suffer from hyperacusis (having suffered from it in the past I know). Sensitivity to much louder sound such as an alarm or a siren, wouldn't count necessarily as hyperacusis, though most people with tinnitus also find they have a heightened sensitivity to sound.

16. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I was being sarcastic. I am just frustrated knowing hyperacusis has way to many definitions that all vaguely mean intolerance of sound.

But at this point it is obvious there are separate pathological problems responsible for these conditions. Example Loudness and Pain Hyperacusis are evidently not the same condition.
      https://www.entandaudiologynews.com...iological-mechanisms-of-hyperacusis-an-update

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It can't be h in my case, can it?

It feels like it's from my ear canal and the cartilage there. My ear feels empty or however you describe it. I wondered if the jaw or a dental issue is contributing.

If it is h, would it cause pain like that in that area?

I can't take this. :( I also have a popping like sensation that happens.

The t is bad too. This is no way to live and no one cares. Why should I go on like this? If there is no remedy and no cure, I should kill myself.

18. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      I read some old article from 70s and the information was the same what articles these days have. For some reason studying ear is lagging behind..

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      An outer ear infection, maybe? :(

I can't take this pain!!

20. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      It sounds like you have hyperacusis - it is not unusual to get this at the same time as you get tinnitus.

The ear-popping sensation is also quite a common feature of tinnitus in first onset - the popping normally fades over time.

If you think you may have an ear infection it is definitely worth getting that looked at quickly - either at ENT or if that still a while away from your own doctor or even in the emergency department of the hospital.

When you see your ENT you need to explain that you have hyperacusis and tinnitus and how badly you are feeling about them. It may be worth the ENT prescribing some anti-anxiety medication but obviously that is their decision.

Definitely look at relocating in the future so you are not exposed to all the very loud noises of the city centre on a regular basis.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Will a doctor be able to tell if I have an ear infection though?

I want to relocate but I am homeless now. I am stuck at this location until an opening at the only other one opens up. There is also what is known as a centralized waiting list for other locations and apartments but transferring to that puts you at the bottom of the list which means you could be waiting a few years. The system is insane and no one cares.

22. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Yes a trained doctor should be able to tell if you have an ear infection.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Greg Sacramento, my right ear suddenly feels tight or strained inside. Can a loud noise do that?

I am scared and worried. I hate this. :(

The left ear pain subsided a bit and now this.

I need groceries. I need to drive about 5 min and I don't know what to do. Wearing plugs will surely cause ear pain. Even wearing muffs will cause irritation, almost certainly?

How long does it take to starve yourself to death? :(

@Contrast - is there anything I can do? :(

I think I am screwed. Why do people tell me to hang on when ear pain and other issues prevent me from wearing simple ear plugs or muffs since they lead to pain and discomfort? :(

24. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @PeteJ In my opinion you may be having secondary referred pain, a condition affecting one area of the body that causes perceived pain in another area and is quite common with tinnitus and ear pain. With the slightest pressure to the jaw, problems of teeth and gums tops the list of ear pain as referred pain with pressure having been applied to the outside front and bottom area near the ear. This will tense nerves and muscle of the ear and those from the oral mouth. If your ENT rules out your right ear, maybe seeing a dentist will help.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How long did it take to go away?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am wondering when my left ear will heal. :( IT HAS TO! :(

It's sore and has light popping.

Also, the amplification seems to happen more often. Sporadically, sounds in my apartment are amplified. It only happens in there, I think.

I don't see any reason to go on with this. The tinnitus is loud and piercing, I have ear pain and my ears don't ever feel normal.

I can't seem to wear ear plugs or muffs, the plugs cause pain especially in the ear canal area and I even had difficulty inserting them last time I tried.

The muffs cause ear discomfort and then eventually the ear is in severe pain. The muffs are Peltor X4A so they are pretty tight and have lots of suction. Some people here do fine with them and some don't but I don't know if they have the same problems I have with them.

I have tried various ear plugs. I don't know what to do. :(

Sometimes, you have to protect yourself from noise but how do I?!? :(

I carry my muffs with me as a last resort when I have no choice but I would like to find a better plan. Why can't my ears be normal? :(

27. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      If you feel that the earplugs and muffs you are wearing are causing you pain - and you are unable to find a pair which do not cause you pain - it may be best not to wear them that often. Over-wearing of plugs and muffs can lead to increased hearing sensitivity. Probably it's best therefore not to wear them in your apartment but only on occasions when you are outside and there is particularly loud noise nearby.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I believe the whole inner, middle and even outer ear and facial region is is allodynia-zed causing pain to the touch.

Why would we assume a separate ear infection is the blame?

29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The reason is when people develop significant hearing loss they are sold super expensive and ineffective hearing aids. Maybe there is a better cure for damaged haircells, it cannot be that hard, but the solution is probably cheaper than selling a pair of hearing aids for a lot of money.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The ear fullness or whatever you call it and the ear pain makes me want off myself. I bet people who have this don't want to hear 'just hang on.' They just want it treated and for it to stop hurting (and go back to normal).