Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How old is she? If I don't receive any context, I will assume a person is elderly and already had progressive health problems.

I assume that you are not 20 y.o. so I suspect your mother is elderly.

I don't reach my opinion/conclusions lightly. I read a lot on this and can conclude, for a fact, we have been told a continuous pattern of lies and a spun narrative. Governments and health professionals are criminal in this collaborative deception. Some might just be naiive or ignorant but many are outright deceiving the public.

• Like Like x 1
    3. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My mom is in her 70’s, but she looks a lot younger. Prior to getting COVID-19, she was fit and very active. Now she struggles to get up the stairs and is breathless after walking the length of the living room.

She isn’t the only person I know who has had the coronavirus. During the peak, earlier this year, it killed a well-known hospital security guard who was in his 30’s. I didn’t know him personally, but many of my friends did and he had no preexisting health conditions. Another family, who were friends of my cousin, lost 3 people to it: 2 who were a married couple, and a relative of theirs who lived in Spain. They were either in their 40’s or 50’s.

A lady named Jean who my mom befriended in the hospital (who was in the bed next to her) suffocated to death. My mom witnessed her struggling as her final moments drew closer, and it still torments her to this day. She saw many people taken away - from the ward she was on - into intensive care. She doesn’t know what happened to the others. What she experienced has given her PTSD as what she witnessed during those 3 weeks was incredibly distressing. It’s affected her so badly, both physically and mentally, that she is petrified of catching it again. It’s an ongoing issue that we are trying to support her with.

I don’t rely upon the MSM or social media for my information. Many of my students are consultants, GPs, and dentists, so I get a lot of my info from them. They all see the real effects of this virus on a daily basis. When I see people calling it a fake virus I just shake my head in disbelief at the stupidity. To fake something on a global scale that would require every country and person to be in on it is just laughable. I suppose that means my friends are in on the scam as well, considering some of them have seen the virus under a microscope and have witnessed its effects up close on hundreds of people?

I can understand peoples frustrations, however. The way many countries have handled this crisis has been poor, and it shows how unprepared we are for viral outbreaks. I think the conspiracies are born out of frustration because it’s natural to hit out when people’s livelihoods are at risk. It breeds contempt, making it an ideal scenario for the spread of misinformation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a colleague of my mother-in-law also died. She was a 36-year-old nurse.

Also, one of my best friends’ boss died. He told me he spoke to him over the phone to tell him he had tested positive for COVID-19. A week later he died. My friend was shocked and couldn’t believe it.

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I see. So, you're calling me stupid. It's okay. I have been called that here many times.

Your mother is elderly like I said. People's health can change drastically in old age and governments are killing people with lockdowns. The Elderly get stressed out, not being able to do what they previously did, no outings and often being deprived of visitors including family. People get depressed and isolated.

I am not being convinced because of isolated stories of some anonymous 40 year-old supposedly dying (of it). We were lied to about full hospitals with infected and dying people from COVID-19 which were lies. My local hospital was mostly empty almost the entire time. Hashtag Film Your Hospital exposed this hoax. I don't doubt people will get sick but not at the extremes we are told about. Some young people die of conditions like cancer. But, the authorities are blaming every health condition on COVID-19. The PCR test was never meant to be used for diagnosis.

The government and health departments are feeding the sheep this narrative in a deceptive way and this becomes apparent if you spend any length of time looking into it instead of fear mongering and parroting the media and government.

6. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think flu vaccines and unnecessary prescriptions are unhelpful and even harmful especially for the elderly. The number one need is to try to boost/improve the immune system especially for older people.

Diet and exercise is important plus determining if any nutrients or vitamins are deficient. I think a lot of the elderly don't have a good diet especially in retirement homes. It's really sad when our society contributes to deterioration of our health especially the elderly. I have seen it and it's a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You seem to have your answers ready before you’ve read anything of what I’ve said because your mind is already made up. We share common ground in that I think the current lockdown is going too far and will only delay the inevitable (whilst introducing more problems on top).

I never called you stupid, I said that people who fall into the category of believing that COVID-19 is fake, are stupid. If you fall into that category, then yes, you are indeed stupid. However, protesting against your government’s handling of it is another matter entirely, so if you fall into this category then you’re not stupid. I don’t know where you stand.

The fact that you use language like “sheep” makes me believe you may have been indoctrinated by what you’ve seen and/or read on social media. In my experience, those who overuse that term are usually incredibly naive and suggestible to anything they see or read online. For example, most the Qanon types and Illuminati believers relentlessly accuse people of being sheep whilst the irony is lost on them.

I know of 6 people who have died from COVID-19 in less than a year who were all fairly young, 2 were in their 30’s. As a comparison, I don’t know of anyone who has died from the flu in my lifetime. The longterm effects of COVID-19 are still largely unknown, but it is becoming heavily correlated with various heart and lung conditions.

With that said, I still believe that what the UK is currently doing is the wrong approach, but what do I know? I’m just some loser posting on a forum. Who cares what I think.

8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It appears that you called me stupid so why don't you own it? I made my perspective on this topic quite clear.

I don't know any young people who died of COVID-19 and bet that the majority doesn't. I don't put much stock in what an anonymous person claims about COVID-19 because most people haven't researched it much if at all. Citing government statistics isn't researching.

The people who are indoctrinated are the fear mongers, mask wearers and those who follow the public health/governments like sheep without question - because it's a way to "be safe."
      Many of them 'live on social media. "

As for something like Qanon, you seem to assume you know what I think. I can discuss this topic. But, just because they call someone sheep doesn't mean I am wrong or that the term is overused. They are not relative or contingent.

I care about what you think especially when most "believers" are increasingly supporting more restrictive and authoritarian measures in the name of "fighting the virus."

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ultimately, though, it’s a free world @PeteJ. We all have the right to think and believe whatever we want.

10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Did you read any of what I wrote? :facepalm: I thought I couldn’t make it any clearer.

If that’s what you believe then fine. I won’t argue with you.

11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, but if you consider my POV for one minute, if the government has conned 95% of the people on this, isn't that a big deal? I don't want to live in this authoritarian/totalitarian society. It's bad enough living with severe tinnitus. My ringing is insanely loud right now. I am miserable 24/7. I hope like hell this FX-322 or whatever it's called does something and that it's SOON! :-(

But, look up southern Australia and France. It's arguably worse than your UK. It's crazy clown world.

12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Which government? And I do look at this from your POV as it affects my livelihood as well. I have two young children to bring up and sick parents to look after. The restrictions mean I cannot work so I’m losing thousands, and my kids rarely see their grandparents. This is not an easy situation to solve.

I too don’t trust random people on the internet which is why I base my views on my reality. My experience is clearly different from yours, but I lived in an area that was one of the worst affected in the UK during the first wave. I don’t read newspapers and I certainly don’t build opinions based on what I see on social media. It’s like the blind leading the blind on there at times.

If you disagree, that’s fine. I’m certainly not going to try and change your mind about anything you believe. That’s your right. We all see life through our own individual biased lenses.

• Like Like x 1
    13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am explaining that we are lied to by the authorities and how they are increasingly authoritarian and totalitarian to punish people, physically and violently even, if we ask questions.

You are obviously not engaging me in a sincere and receptive way. I am only urging you to investigate for yourself since you are saying you are considering my POV. YouTube censors so it's worthless. Search videos on (Victoria) Australia, for one example. It's awful what's going on there.

People whine about police brutality here yet no mention of this.

14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I have seen a lot police brutality videos when it comes to COVID-19 protests. Some of the stuff is just plain wrong no matter how you frame it, and I agree that the UK government is heading in a totalitarian direction, but we are still nowhere near as bad as countries that are under an actual dictatorship. We are becoming more of a nanny state if anything.

I’m not sure why you’re saying I’m not engaging you in a sincere and receptive way. I’m just being honest about my experiences and opinions on the subject at hand and am not purposefully setting out to offend anyone. You don’t have to agree with what I have to say. Disagreements are fine.

15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Nanny state, really?!?

You have continually ignored my pleads to research.

So, I reiterate, you are not engaging me sincerely.

16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Ed209, I don't mean to be grumpy or sound whatever word you want to use.

I am just pleading, begging for someone who believes the official narrative to look into things. To date, no one who I have asked has done so. You could be the first! :) I understand the sources probably make you skeptical but I assure you if you check out enough, you should find some that are intriguing.

I don't know how anyone could seriously examine what's going on in Victoria, Australia and just shrug it off.

17. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Isn't that study referring to whether or not masks prevent someone from getting COVID-19? That question was answered a long time ago. They don't, really. However, it doesn't appear to address how they prevent an infected person from spreading it, which is the main reason the public is advised to wear them. If that's the case, I can understand why medical journals don't want to publish it. As soon as people read, "Masks don't protect against COVID-19," many will selectively ignore the data that shows that they're effective against transmitting it if you're already infected, which has been common knowledge since the spring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
    19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You're just speculating. The researchers are saying they won't release the reasons. Only that they are controversial. It just shows the politics involved with these so-called peer reviewed journals.

20. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm only speculating about why they might not want to publish, not about the focus of the study:

"It involved as many as 6,000 Danes, half of whom had to wear face masks in public over a long period of time. The other half was selected as the control group.

A large proportion of the test participants were employees of the Salling Group’s supermarkets: Bilka, Føtex and Netto.

The study and its size are unique, and the purpose was once and for all to try to clarify the extent to which the use of face masks in public spaces provides protection against coronavirus infections.
      "

21. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I can't believe I thought that this thread might be about COVID-19 + Tinnitus. Instead it's a stupid political mess with Bill Bauer telling us COVID-19 is the flu? What a disaster of a thread.

Anyways, seeing as how COVID-19 infection rates seem to be skyrocketing, does anyone here have personal experience with COVID-19 affecting their tinnitus? I have a child in daycare and I feel like it's just a matter of time before she brings it home to me.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    22. SeanD5054

SeanD5054 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma/shock? possible TMJ issues?
      All,

Going back to the original thread about COVID-19 and catching it, yes I did and my whole family. It was caught from my wife's side initially and mother-in-law spread it to my kids. My wife and I tested negative at the time but kids were positive.

Shockingly a few days later, my wife and I got it. My tinnitus was not affected until probably the middle of the second week of our quarantine. As my tinnitus is relatively new, it progressed differently and now is a more high pitch constant tone as opposed to the electrical flickering pulse sounds it was before. Also I suffered from an acoustic shock and my symptoms took a turn for the worst. Higher tinnitus more hyperacusis and im thinking some TTTS as I am having burning ear symptoms with pressure and burning side of face where tinnitus is. Seems like it hit my nervous system even though we all had mild symptoms of COVID-19. Anxiety was not good either and my ear was full and achy for a week. It subsided but now it has become more regular like every other day.

Hoping it subsides soon. Stay safe all!

• Hug Hug x 6
    23. EddieL.

EddieL. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      FYI, the CDC just updated their guidelines, showing that face masks CAN also protect the wearer from COVID-19 infection:

"Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron. Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/masking-science-sars-cov2.html

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The US has been over 100k cases/day long enough to be back over 1k deaths/day in the current rolling 7 day averages for the last few days -- but we also just shattered 150k cases/day for the first time, so any way you slice it, this has never been more poorly contained than it is now.

This is an interesting visualization of disturbing data. The last few frames are pure :wideyed:

25. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Informative Informative x 3
    26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Frédéric -- Here's a snippet from your linked article:

It is well known that viruses such as measles, mumps and meningitis can cause hearing loss. Also, auditory neuropathy has been linked with Guillain-Barré syndrome, the latter having a known association with coronavirus (Sedaghat and Karimi 2020). There are unsubstantiated and anecdotal cases of COVID-19 and hearing loss reported in national newspapers (https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1259453/coronavirus-update-news-symptoms-hearing-loss).​

27. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I was diagnosed in August with COVID-19. Spent 10 days in quarantine in the guest room. It was a real mind fuck to live through. The virus affected my hyperacusis and tinnitus ten fold. It attacked my ears and throat mostly.

I am virus free now but the effects are still bothering me quite a bit. Increased tinnitus and hyperacusis the sound sensitivity is so bad but I try to deal with it as best as I can.

@Ed209 do you still have any long lasting side affects from your COVID-19 sickness?

I wish good health to all here and hope you never experience this illness. Stay safe.

• Hug Hug x 4
    28. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Has anybody here taken the invasive "swab" test?

I am thinking about getting tested, but deathly afraid of that jabbing in my nasopharynx of setting off a spike... on top of what I am dealing with right now.

If anybody has taken a test and can share their experience, it is most welcome.

29. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @frischky I haven't been here on Tinnitus Talk for a while but would like to answer your question about the swab test.

Back in August the virus outbreak was in full mode and it was so very scary. My doctor sent me to a drive through location. My husband drove and we were in line a while. It was like a weird scary movie scene probably from having watched the on going news and being in a hot spot for the virus outbreak in Los Angeles. People were dying and hospitals were full and the anxiety overcame every inch of my body.

When we pulled up to the testing site three nurses in total body suits came to the window. I did have the swab test done and had no idea what exactly to expect. I think the anxiety was much worse.

To answer your testing question it was very uncomfortable but not exactly painful. The swab was placed inside of the nose and went up to the eye socket area. It lasted a minute or so but seemed longer. The test made my nasal passage very sore for a few days. Sore meaning... swollen. Not like a stabbing or tooth pain sensation.

I don't think you have to worry about a spike in the loudness of your tinnitus from that particular test. Mine was already very loud but not because of the test.

I think the procedure if you decide to take the test won't be as scary now. Try to find the least crowed testing site.
      I had to have an appointment from my doctor. But I think you can get the test without a doctor's order.

I got the results in three/four days.

Why are you considering being tested?

• Like Like x 1
    30. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I've had the test twice, Frischky. I also went to a drive-through location, but we had to self administer the test. A swab deep down at the back of the throat, and another deep into the nasal cavity. I had no tinnitus concerns whatsoever, and it didn't have any effect on it for me.