Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Funny Funny x 2
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is a NYT article I am taking the liberty of posting in its entirety, because it's basically a data-and-anecdote driven writeup of a point I've been making for a while: "ending" lockdowns don't matter, if people are unwilling to resume normal use of service businesses, and business owners don't want to risk their own health.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      ElRNZwQXYAEARbe?format=png&name=large.png

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

No one could have predicted that a virus which has not changed in any way in the past six months would become a serious problem again as people let their guard down and fall respiratory illness season ticks up. Truly a random tragedy.

I just got another 25 n95s and I am still staying at home. We're doing Halloween in our own woods with one other family we trust (and everyone wearing masks).

I actually think walking through / handing out candy in dark woods on Halloween sounds cooler than walking around random suburbia, but, there's also an element of lemons -> lemonade there.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You might also be wondering how the total numbers of deaths in Sweden compares to 2019 and earlier years. Check out how 2020 compares to 2015.

ElXPpp-UUAEsxiA.jpg

What does this mean for the hypothesis that COVID-19 isn't a regular flu?

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ed209 I thought about you when I was listening to NPR talking this morning about impending lockdowns in Germany, France and potentially other places.

All I could think was "you're having these conversations four weeks too late, and if you don't already understand that then your policymakers have refused to learn a single thing about this virus in the past 9 months". Merkel, for her part, seemed clear on this -- she cautioned everyone 2 weeks ago that they would be meeting again in 2 weeks, and here were are. On the other hand, that was probably already "too late".

And, really, I think this is dumb at this point, because we're letting the whole economy fall on its sword to try to shore up the sectors which are the most obviously not possible. Indoor nightlife, bars and restaurants cannot come back safely now. It sucks, I was a heavy patron of bars and restaurants right up until late Feb of this year, but "it is what it is" as a dumb man once said.

And, again, we're talking about this in fairly silly terms mostly. Trump in MI made comments about "you can't go to..." and listed various kinds of businesses -- none of them were prevented, legally, from operating. So, even in (what used to be) reliably conservative areas, lots of people are simply not reopening, out of fear for their own safety, or because they know they won't get enough business to make it worthwhile.

You can provide the water to the horse and say "don't worry about Corona, the water is fine", but you can't convince the horse to go risk Corona for the water, especially when the water at home is safe and cheaper.

Beyond initial panic lockdowns, we should have been looking at ways to bolster the parts of the economy that clearly were not going to "come back" during this, or, in the case of stuff like movie theaters, stand a good chance of just being killed forever by this. But, there was mass disagreement that the virus even existed, so we had no clear thinking or comprehensive plans like that, just a bunch of half measures which have only slightly hobbled the slow of the disease, and kept the economy under wraps, including sectors of it which could probably be operating now.

So, where are we? Headed towards a fall of homelessness, death and illness, as I have been sadly saying since April. As far as both COVID and homelessness -- the numbers are clearly trending that direction, at home and abroad. Right now rural areas of the US are getting pounded worse but numbers are crawling up here and I worry what hospitals could be like in the spring when we expect to give birth...

I think part of what is going on in the stock market is predicated on a belief in a Biden victory, and, further, that a Biden administration will have the political will and capital to do bailouts to avoid the worst of the impending eviction crisis. I am 50/50 on Biden winning and 50/50 on his admin managing to stem the tide of COVID and eviction in a relatively short timeframe, so, I am pretty pessimistic on that idea and I am not presently holding anything besides index funds that I expect to hold for a long time. Oh, and four shares of MSFT, for Reasons :-P

Stay safe!

8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I fundamentally agree. Our thinking on all of this has very much been in alignment since the first lockdown. The issue I see with letting those sectors fail - which was inevitable given the lockdowns - was what do you do to help those who are affected along with their families? There isn’t enough money being created, via tax, to cover the losses of entire industries. The first furlough and grant scheme used money that we didn’t have (in the UK), and this created the kind of debt that hasn’t been seen in this country since world war 2. There is no magic money tree. We are now in a worse position than before, which means that our previous plan is no longer sustainable going forward; we need better alternatives that seek to save the most lives. We are no longer just looking at lives being lost to COVID-19, but rather lives being lost across the board. This is a catastrophic position to be in, and I believe our leaders have failed us. There has been no proper planning or clear consensus during any of this.

This is what should have happened, but it appears that our governments buried their heads in the sand instead. We all knew that the virus wouldn’t just magically disappear overnight, so what have they been doing all this time? I’m aware that it’s an incredibly difficult situation to fix, but some of the decisions that have been made have left me scratching my head in amazement.

Unfortunately, that’s precisely where we are heading. Only a vaccine can stop this from getting any worse, but then we have the catch 22 situation of whether we can trust something that has been produced in record time. Can we trust that it will be safe in the longterm? Anything that messes with the immune system comes with an inherent risk.

And with all that said, stay safe and well, and hopefully, better times are ahead.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      COVID-19 is freaking me out because I'm considered high risk thanks to one of my health conditions.

I've been pretty isolated since March so I'm safe, but it bites that this pandemic has put me in between a rock and a hard place. I don't like being out of a job and I empathize with so many other people who have lost their jobs.

This pandemic has devastated so many people.

On the bright side, I got my flu shot yesterday. At least I'll be safe from the flu. This year the flu shot felt like a tetanus shot. I took Advil last night, tinnitus be damned. :p

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well, you knew it, I knew it. I'd say people in the 50th percentile for reading comprehension understood it.

On the other hand, our leadership?

And where are we, on October 28, 2020? We just logged our worst day ever for new cases.

I've always been faithless in leadership. Despite my constant ripping of the current admin - I spent all of 2012-2016 complaining about the draconian and hawkish foreign policy of THAT admin (who, to be fair, I voted for). However, the insanity we're seeing with the politicization of COVID and shameless, obvious gutting of scientific governmental agencies for (attempted) political gain is unprecedented and depressing. The same country that put the first man on the moon has a 50/50 hit rate of believing in evolution, and a 7% hit rate for being a QAnon believer.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It's depressing. I feel like I have witnessed the cognitive decline of mankind over the last couple of decades. Social media has not helped at all.

Why doesn’t anybody fact-check the information they are fed online? I feel like the masses are becoming more and more gullible by the day. People will believe the craziest things, especially if it’s in a YouTube video. For some, YouTube is the epitome of truth :facepalm:. I see idiots citing videos from there all the time, especially flat-earthers and other crazies :ROFL:. Don’t get me wrong, there is some really good content on there, just not the stuff that they watch:LOL:

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Social media hasn't helped? The rise of social media along with the rise of smart phones/tablets are probably the main causes for the decline. It's an exponential decline too!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s exactly the point I was getting at. I just said it in a very British way :D

• Like Like x 2
    14. Rjbookworm
      Brooding

Rjbookworm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic medication
      Those quotes from Trump about COVID-19 were appalling to read. Absolutely appalling. I shouldn't be surprised though.

I wish that people would fact check the information that they find online. I have some information that I need to continue fact checking myself. Luckily I didn't get the information from social media. I just want separate the truth from the crap.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What did he say?

17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is funny to see the people who are the problem complaining about the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      From Thursday we’re back on a full national lockdown in the UK.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      Guuuys. The title of the post says coronavirus and tinnitus.

Does COVID-19 have any effect on tinnitus?

I didn't find any post here discussing that. If there is, my bad, but does anyone know?

20. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It can cause hearing loss just like the flu, so it obviously can give you or worsen tinnitus. You can also get chronic fatigue syndrome or at least something similar. So best not to catch it. Of course not everyone experiences such consequences, but I'm not going to risk it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sevv Makes sense I guess. Yeah, I remember having slightly full ears when I had colds. Well, most people don't develop severe cases, so hopefully it doesn't leave permanent damage.

Obviously going to continue being careful.

22. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Yes there are reasons not to catch it.

https://medium.com/microbial-instin...dd-covid-19-symptom-we-overlooked-6cdf81a5e70

• Like Like x 1
    23. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      UK death rate ten per cent higher than normal for this time of year as a result of COVID-19:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54785358

Sadly we do still have our share of Covid-deniers in the UK who still insist, despite all the evidence, that it's nothing more than a bad cold...

• Like Like x 1
    25. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Does coronavirus affect the audio-vestibular system? A rapid systematic review

Objective: This rapid systematic review investigated audio-vestibular symptoms associated with coronavirus.

Design: The protocol for the rapid review was registered in the International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews and the review methods were developed in accordance with the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses guidelines. Risk of bias was assessed using the National Institute of Heath quality assessment tools.

Study sample: After rejecting more than 2300 records, there were five case reports and two cross-sectional studies that met the inclusion criteria.

Results: No records of audio-vestibular symptoms were reported with the earlier types of coronavirus (i.e. severe acute respiratory syndrome [SARS] and Middle East respiratory syndrome [MERS]). Reports of hearing loss, tinnitus, and vertigo have rarely been reported in individuals who tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2.

Conclusion: Reports of audio-vestibular symptoms in confirmed COVID-19 cases are few, with mostly minor symptoms, and the studies are of poor quality. Emphasis over time is likely to shift from life-threatening concerns to longer-term health-related consequences such as audio-vestibular dysfunction. High-quality studies are needed to investigate the acute effects of COVID-19, as well as for understanding long-term risks, on the audio-vestibular system.

Review registration: Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews (PROSPERO; registration number CRD42020184932)

Keywords: Hearing loss, coronavirus, COVID-19, SARS-CoV2, tinnitus, vertigo

Full article: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14992027.2020.1776406

• Like Like x 3
    26. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      A friend sent me this.

Changes in Tinnitus Experiences During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Introduction: The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted delivery of healthcare, economic activity, and affected social interactions. Identifying and supporting those most affected by the pandemic is required. The purpose of this study was to determine the impact of the pandemic on individuals with tinnitus and to identify mediating factors.

Methods: This is a mixed-methods exploratory cross-sectional study, using data collected via an online survey from 3,103 individuals with tinnitus from 48 countries. The greatest representation was from North America (49%) and Europe (47%) and other countries were only marginally represented.

Results: Although the study was aimed at those with pre-existing tinnitus, 7 individuals reported having COVID-19 initiated tinnitus. Having COVID-19 symptoms exacerbated tinnitus in 40% of respondents, made no change in 54%, and improved tinnitus in 6%. Other mediating factors such as the social and emotional consequences of the pandemic made pre-existing tinnitus more bothersome for 32% of the respondents, particularly for females and younger adults, better for 1%, and caused no change to tinnitus for 67%. Pre-existing tinnitus was significantly exacerbated for those self-isolating, experiencing loneliness, sleeping poorly, and with reduced levels of exercise. Increased depression, anxiety, irritability, and financial worries further significantly contributed to tinnitus being more bothersome during the pandemic period.

Conclusions: These findings have implications for tinnitus management, because they highlight the diverse response both internal and external factors have on tinnitus levels. Clinical services should be mindful that tinnitus may be caused by contracting COVID-19 and pre-existing tinnitus may be exacerbated, although in the majority of respondents there was no change. Additional support should be offered where tinnitus severity has increased due to the health, social, and/or emotional effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Tinnitus may be more bothersome for those experiencing loneliness, having fewer social interactions, and who are more anxious or worried.

It may have been posted already.

• Like Like x 2
    27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Bunch of lies.

There's no evidence of it doing anything to people other than elderly unless you have complicated health problems.

Brainwashed people being conned.

Every report ends with "more studies are needed." Right. Of course. Sigh.

28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Because it is.

29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I think another lockdown is the wrong move, but COVID-19 is real. I’ve seen people die and have their health affected first-hand. My mom has long COVID and still gets breathless. She has a problem with her heart that’s yet to be diagnosed, and her kidneys were also affected.

We are in a difficult situation of trying to save lives whilst protecting the economy. I fear the latest lockdown in the UK is going to make matters worse rather than better, though. This is because a lot of the rules are contradictory. For example, all the schools and universities are still open, and many people are still working. I don’t think the effect this will have on the spread of the virus is worth destroying the economy. We might slow the infection rate for two or three weeks, at best, whilst the economy takes another battering. I believe we are now in the worst position we’ve ever been in, economically speaking, and this could cost more lives than the coronavirus.

It’s a difficult balancing act, and I understand that there are no easy answers to this. What doesn’t help matters are the conspiracy theorists who fuel the fire for people to dismiss this virus as being “fake,” which is absurd.

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am sorry to hear that your mom has been experiencing complications following a flu.

Back in 1980s Ronald Reagan managed to convince the people in charge of the USSR that the "Strategic Defense Initiative"/"Star Wars Program" wasn't fake. They felt compelled to increase their spending on developing new weapons, and it is my understanding that this had contributed to bankrupting the USSR leading to its demise. Of course the program was mostly fake, as the technologies involved were decades away from becoming reality. COVID-19 is basically the "Strategic Defense Initiative" of our times.

• Like Like x 1