Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Now do the flu in 1959 (when those mortality figures were reported on page 40 of the newspaper).

If the US is anything like Europe, the actual excess deaths are in the normal range, slightly lower than they were back in 2019 and 2018.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

This seems like a uniquely American kind of stupidity, but I am probably wrong. @Ed209 is this nonsense happening there, too?

Last words for some, perhaps, "I AM NOT DYING OF CORONA, I AM DYING WITH CORONA!"

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Great to see you, btw, Jen. I have often thought about you and wondered how you were getting on.

4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Unfortunately, Linearb, I think this kind of stupidity is universal and is a direct result of social media. I think it would most certainly happen over here if it’s happening there.

It seems everywhere I look right now, I see people who believe the whole thing is fake.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you talking about the person who tweeted the blood libel?
      Yes, those 95 year olds and cancer patients and gunshots victims are not actually dying of coronavirus. What's your point?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It isn't fake. It is a regular flu. It is certainly there, but in the past we managed to live with it and to not care too much about it.

7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Why on Earth are you still calling it a flu? Are you saying that somehow the entire worldwide scientific community have got this wrong and that they don’t know what a coronavirus looks like? This would include people I know who have seen it for themselves under a microscope.

Or do you believe that every expert around the world has somehow been hoodwinked into believing it’s a coronavirus when it’s actually the flu?

I’m not sure what your point is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There has been no excess mortality, except for two or three weeks in March:

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

I had already replied to you with the information below, and I guess talking to you about this is hopeless.

Please read it again:
      There have been Many doctors who have been speaking out...
      My point is that whatever you choose to call it, it is less deadly than the flu that in the past nobody made a big deal about.

9. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      My healthy late 20s brother who had COVID-19 in April just had his 12th seizure last week because of it. He has had severe stomach issues and developed a heart condition as well because of this. He will be admitted within the coming weeks because the seizures aren't stopping even on anti-seizure medications (above the recommended max dosage). The flu doesn't do this...

Please, I am being sincere here, please do not downplay this by just calling it the flu.

• Hug Hug x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Bill has no idea, so please don’t take what he is saying to heart. The fact he is still calling this the flu speaks volumes to me.

I think the conspiracy nutters may have twisted his views somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Actually - it does. The flu can have surprisingly serious complications.

Please check out my earlier post - the information is underneath "Let's look at some numbers!":

12. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Bill Bauer's views on Covid are understandably deeply insulting to those who have suffered the bad effects of Covid themselves or seen its impact on friends or relatives. But the thing to realise is that Bill has absolutely no personal experience or understanding of Covid himself and has simply relied on the disinformation peddled by various far-right websites rather than from any authoritative medical sources. The best thing to do therefore is simply ignore his ignorance paraded as information.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have listened to people on Talk Radio that have been affected by "long term Covid" Although older people with underlying health conditions are particularly vulnerable to this disease, that may require hospitalization and unfortunately might die. Many that are younger, healthy and succumb to Covid 19 are having a lot of difficulty recovering from it.

A few days ago I was listening to a woman 28 years of age. Regularly ran 3 to 5 miles a day. After contracting Covid six months ago she can hardly walk 30ft without stopping to breath. She has lost her sense of taste, smell and the doctors have tried everything to help her. Another woman early 40s had three thriving businesses and employed people. She can no longer work, lost sense of taste, smell. Bleeds from her ears and gums. She lives on her own and now, can't even hold a cup of tea in her hand because it shakes continuously and everything spills on the floor. She was in tears and I found it heartbreaking to listen to.

LBC last night: Leading Britain's Conversation, is a revered Talk Radio station and accessible online. A man phoned up early 50s and fit. Had no prior health conditions before contracting Covid 4 months ago. Now, he can hardly wash himself, can't return to work, lost taste and smell. He said he used to be a very independent person and now has to rely on his wife to help, with simple daily tasks. He said his personality has changed and has become very emotional which he wasn't before.

Covid 19 is serious and although a younger person may get it and recover, often their body is not quite the same.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      Bill this is not the flu and you are wrong. It is easier to catch than the flu and it is impacting younger people with complications that the flu does not.

If you want to be insensitive and a sanctimonious piece of shit feel free free.

Fuck you.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very sorry to hear about your brother @DaveN, hope he improves with time...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      Thank you Michael! I am trying to stay positive and not worry as much. Hoping for more answers after he's admitted but it's been extremely overwhelming with these random symptoms popping up out of nowhere and seemingly getting worse.

17. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      At this point it's really difficult, we don't know what causes the symptoms in long COVID-19. I mean if an organ is damaged, I might imagine that stem cell therapy could help eventually. I hope that works for nerve damage as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My thoughts are with you Dave, try to keep strong though it's difficult. COVID-19 is not like the flu, it can be ruthless and shows no mercy to anyone that's unfortunate to get it. My post above, was a snippet about some of the stories I've heard regarding this terrible disease.

Take care
      Michael

19. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      @Sevv honestly part of what scares me is that we know so little about it! But I trust in the fact that we have people actively working around the clock to help not only stop the spread but see what the hell they can do about the long-termers. It is and has been difficult but I am hopeful! I keep telling myself it has to get better!

@Michael Leigh thanks again. I have heard and read some serious horror stories about this. Thank you for the positive thoughts!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the feedback. I just had one done at the pharmacy... they use a shallow nasal swab (supposedly 96% as effective as the deep swab). Was no more than twirling a Q-Tip in my nostrils for a few seconds each.

Self-administration of that long swab.... ouch!

21. ParaMotor

ParaMotor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of Loud music through headphones and Paramotor noise
      I tested positive 2 weeks ago, and now just starting to see light at end of tunnel. This is not a regular flu, it's a brutal virus. Most who dismiss it as a wee flu haven't had it or lost someone to it, I suspect they would change their views.

At the peak loudest tinnitus I've ever had, surprisingly I couldn't have cared less. It settled down. Xx

• Hug Hug x 4
    22. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Denying it as you lay dying of it is a whole new level of brokebrained though.

"Aerobic respiration is bullshit, it is not required for life!" I cry, as I die of asphyxiation inside a sealed container.

23. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I had COVID-19 in March. It is really dangerous, would not recommend. A lot harder than the flu. I am extremely strong but it rocked me.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, it is more contagious than the flu in the average year.

Now that I think of it when I, and the others, say "the flu" we are not talking about the seasonal flu/the average flu outbreak, we are talking about a "bad flu" year, say in the top 20% of the most deadliest flu years of the past 120 years.
      [And we are not counting The deadliest flu outbreak of them all, the one in 1918. People nowadays act As If this year's flu was Like the flu of 1918, even though it isn't even close.]
      During those bad flu years (e.g, 1958, 1969, etc.), most people weren't even aware of the fact that that year flu was deadlier than usual. It was "just a flu and not The Plague" back then and this continues to be true this year.
      First we were told that it was Killing young people at a higher rate than the flu. Now we know that "15-44 mortality is 0.03%"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02483-2

May I ask you to post a link to the study that has concluded "it is impacting younger people with complications that the flu does not."

In other words, we are told that out of millions of people who got a flu this year, some have had complications, and some of them are young. We also know that the flu has serious complications, and even young people can get flu complications. What study has looked into the actual complication rate for the young people of this year's flu?
      When a member of a cult is shown the evidence that the main idea behind their cult is nonsense, it is my understanding that their natural reaction is uncontrollable anger. Hopefully you will come to your senses and do what a rational person would do when they see empirical evidence contradicting their religious beliefs.
      WOW. I posted all of that information that you can't argue with (as evidenced by the fact that you haven't done it), and this is your response? Is this the result of brainwashing, low IQ/poor education (that would allow one to conclude that the person who provides arguments that you can't argue with "has no clue"), or "an agenda"?

I would love to understand what is happening here.

25. DaveN
      No Mood

DaveN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
      All I did was ask you to not downplay this. You decided not to. You can hope I "come to my senses" all you want.

What you can do is -

1- get off your high horse. most of the medical and science community is in agreement that it is much more dangerous and easier to spread than the flu. The 'many' you claim is a small outlier... remember the Haitian doctor Trump was promoting? The one who was talking about demon sperm etc? She thinks it's no more dangerous than the flu so you are in good company there.

2 - it is clear you care more about feeling right than a compassionate human being. I asked please don't call it the flu. What is so offensive about that? I didn't ask you to change your beliefs, I asked you on a message board not to downplay something that is upsetting. Screw me, right?

3 - this is my last comment to you so I'll make it count. Fuck you you piece of trash. You don't deserve happiness if you are just going to sit around and be a miserable dick to people who are in pain because it makes you feel superior and smart. Fuck you.

There was a time where I thought I was happier after finding this board because reading all the stories and struggles and participating made me feel a lot better and less alone. But too many people here absolutely THRIVE on being negative and nasty to people. They seemingly enjoy people's suffering. I'm good.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The only trustworthy indicator of how bad a "pandemic" (scary!) is, is the actual total death count from all causes.

Check out these weekly death counts:
      https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2020017-eng.htm

At the peak of this year's flu back in April (week 17), the weekly mortality was 6,640, which 10 higher than the weekly mortality during week 2 in 2018 which is reported to be 6,630.

Reminder: Back in 2018 nobody cared about the flu.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It IS more contagious than usual. For a given number of deaths, if the disease is MORE contagious, it means that it is less deadly.
      The reason for that is that people who dare to disagree with the narrative face serious consequences. This implies that what is happening here (when doctors and researchers choose to not publicly disagree, and when researchers know that certain findings will be easy to publish in a good journal and certain findings will cause problems for their career) has nothing to do with Science.
      The policy based on facts will result in minimizing human misery. Enough said. If this isn't clear to you, I should stop "throwing pearls before swine". If you see it now, I expect an apology.
      It is upsetting to me (and many others) when hysterical idiots (and the smart people with an agenda who are manipulating them) are blowing up/murdering my society. Now what?
      LOL

This feels like an exorcism in a bad horror movie - they force the victim of a possession to look at a cross and that causes the victim to get agitated.

See, if you were to actually Address why you think my arguments are wrong, then you wouldn't look like a religious person defending their religion, while being utterly unable to cite any evidence for it.
      I am not sure what you are talking about. All I see are people who are worried about a Plague-like event happening, while they also have to deal with tinnitus. Me posting data proving that there is nothing to actually be concerned about ought to make them feel better, right?

And you must feel dumb for accusing Me who has literally made hundreds if not thousands of posts here providing sufferers with the info that increases the chance of them getting better and also giving them hope that eventually their tinnitus will fade.

I will assume that your tinnitus has caused some temporary insanity for you. You are forgiven.

28. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It is indeed, but it doesn’t surprise me at all.

You’d think people would want to listen to what the experts have to say, especially when one is not qualified to assert meaningful opinions in this field. But, I guess not! Apparently, many would rather listen to their mate Dave, the local window cleaner, who knows everything there is to know about COVID-19 and how it spreads. I mean who cares what the epidemiologists and virologists have to say when there are so many on social media who understand it better? I think it’s difficult to beat the knowledge of those who have studied YouTube relentlessly and can provide a google link or two.

I would hope that this is why people hire me to teach them about music rather than a computer programmer, for example.

29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      More people died of Covid in the year to August than have died annually from flu and pneumonia combined in any year since 2000.

Despite the fact that the virus is only thought to have been in general circulation since March, Covid has so far caused the deaths of 3.4 times as many people in 2020 as flu and pneumonia, according to data released for England and Wales by the Office of National Statistics.

Although flu and pneumonia deaths have been relatively low this year, the report found that more people had died of Covid in the first eight months of this year than have ever died of flu or pneumonia in the same period since comparable records began in 1959.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-times-higher-than-flu-and-pneumonia-ons-data

30. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      None of your posts have helped me and I’ve had tinnitus for years. You must have a form of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. You’re welcome.

COVID-19 seems to spread more easily than flu and causes more serious illnesses in some people. It can also take longer before people show symptoms and people can be contagious for longer. Another important difference is there is a vaccine to protect against flu. There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.Oct 6, 2020

• Like Like x 2