Could My Anxiety Be Making My Existing Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by NathanNd, May 30, 2019.

1. NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys hope you are all doing well.

I have had tinnitus for years now. (Since around 15). A hissing in both ears by sounds mostly from the right and a whistling noise in the right ear as well. After the panicking and stress from this I had as a kid I finally got used to it and it didn't bother me anymore.

Now (21 years of age) about a week ago I woke up and noticed a similar but different whistling noise in my left. I didn't think much of it at first because after I got up and starting doing things by night time I couldn't hear it. However after coming back from work one day I noticed I could hear it. That's when the panicking and anxiety kicked in. It's been about 3 days since then and I have been focusing on my tinnitus a lot. Sounds of when I flush the toilet and it's relfilling I focus on because it sounds like that new noise. My brain is completely fixated on it. I've been so worried that even my hissing that I've had for ages sounds like it's a lot louder and is worrying me more than the new noise i have got and i can't tune out from it I just focus on it constantly. Is it possible that my brain is just hyper aware of it all?

Would you reckon I do to try and habituate again and get my brain to accept it again?

* I should also mention that the work I done was taking down a stage from a concert so it was quite loud.

Sorry for the long post,
      Nathan

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would also like to add that I had the hissing so long I thought it was normal. Until I asked someone the other day if they hear something similar and they said no. And that made me panic. It's almost as if I unhabituated myself by thinking about everything too much?

3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, in short you are correct.

However, if you exposed yourself to loud noise recently or previously that certainly could be the reason for the tinnitus being louder now. Also, it has a good chance of returning to it's previous level as long as you take care of your ears from now on.

4. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah either it will settle down or you'll let used to it (habituate) again. Could your anxiety be making it worse? I'm not qualified to say, but I think it's likely the other way around, that your tinnitus is giving you anxiety. I can't imagine how anxiety could affect your inner ear, but maybe there is some physiological link. I've just never noticed a change in my hearing when I've had anxiety.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the replies. @CMIH yeah I understand I was thinking because the new noise I got in my ear made me anxoius and made me super aware of noise and I was listening in to everything that it then made my tinnitus I am used to appear to be louder. If that made any sense.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @HeavyMantra I was thinking the same. However after I was exposed to the loud noise I did not notice that the hissing got any louder. It was just days after of worry and anxiety I got the thought that it is louder.

7. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could be either. I got my permanent spike 1 week after the suspected noise exposure

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear. How you getting on with it?

9. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, my life is objectively much much worse now and I don't expect that to change sadly. That said, it has gotten a bit easier to deal with after 6 months.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's upsetting. You don't think more time can heal?

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @NathanNd Anxiety and panic can make T louder but should subside once they are dealt with. I say “should” because that’s been my experience, but everyone’s different.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did you personally deal with the anxiety and panic? I feel like a rookie all over again

13. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had severe panic attacks over a couple of weeks. Wave after wave... really horrible times. My T would crank right up when they hit. I had to take aprazolam during that time. It helped bring the T down too. But being a benzo, it’s not good to take for too long. After that I was able to improve on my time gradually.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have times when my anxiety cranks up and get horrible thoughts. Not sure how I should deal with it. How loud is your tinnitus? And how is your life now?

15. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could consider seeing a professional about it. Or try practicing mindfulness...? You have to try to learn to not react to it too much emotionally.
      I’m just trying my best to live an ok life. My tinnitus changes a lot.

16. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      This question was not for me, but I have a few comments.

Everybody has disturbing thoughts, but they can't hurt you. CBT and Mindfulness can help by letting ourselves defuse our reactions to the bad thoughts. Among other things, I use the methods in the book "The Illustrated Happiness Trap", by Russ Harris and Bev Aisbett, to learn how to do this, which is a very good primer to ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will look into mindfulness. I mean for me it's still early days. This anxiety and panic only started on Monday.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'll look into practicing mindfulness. As it's only been 4 days since I've been in this anxious state I'll wait with CBT if it persists. Thanks for your response.

19. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I guess. My emotional reaction to it has gotten better, but the actual tinnitus just keeps getting worse

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NathanNd

NathanNd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Update:
      My other sounds have gotten louder. And I get a strange burning sensation when I try to mask my tinnitus. Is that hyperaucsis?

• Useful Useful x 1
    21. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      You are over thinking it maybe? What work do you do, does your job require being around loud noises daily? Do you wear ear plugs every time you are around noise? These are important questions worth considering.

22. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Pain from sound is called noxacusis
      https://www.statnews.com/2016/02/18/noise-induced-ear-pain/
      upload_2019-5-31_17-21-13.png

Seek medical attention and tell the doctors you have "pain from sound" and it was caused by loud noise exposure.

23. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This is why you got worse, loud noise can damage hearing thus worsening tinnitus. That's your problem. This is a ear damage issue not an anxiety issue.

Futhermore how would anxiety cause burning ear pain from sound?

24. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      He could be wearing ear protection while he was doing those things.

25. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      what is occams razor?

26. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      To me it's the other way around, tinnitus causes anxiety to run bad. Once you get the anxiety under control, you will start to feel better and can cope with tinnitus.