Could the Acoustic Reflex Test Have Made Me Permanently Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by The Jordan, Oct 21, 2018.

1. The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Hello all.

I been having noise induced Tinnitus and Hyperacusis since June, and I made a post asking if Tympanometry test was safe, but after reading my test results carefully now I think that I did an Acoustic Reflex Test alongside the (apparently safe) Tympanometry and I'm worried it may have caused permanent damage to me...

I would like to tell you all of the info:

This test, that I did a month ago, was a series of loud high pitch noises through a staff inside my ears for some seconds.

In the tests results it says:

Right ear: Average stimulus level: 82 dB SPL. Test length: 16 seconds

Left ear: Average stimulus level: 83 dB SPL. Test length: 11 seconds

Does that mean I was exposed to 82/83 dB for 11/16 secs?

The next day after that test I started feeling stabbing pain in my head and 4 days after that my very low ear tinnitus transformed to a horribly annoying electrical buzz brain tinnitus.

After feeling this hell in my head for a week, it started to slowly fade.

However, almost 3 weeks before the test, a new high pitch tone appears in my right ear, (though very low), for no apparent reason. I don't know if it was random or it could be because of the test after 3 weeks. (Still have it now).

Despite that new tone in right ear, my electrical brain tinnitus and head pain (now only present in the left part of my head) have been continue to fading every day till 3 days ago, when it increased for 3 days and the pain returned. Today, it seems to have returned to fading again.

Also, last week I had some days where both tinnitus were 99% gone for 6-12 hours.

With all of this data and symptoms, do you think this test could have caused permanent damage to me, or only temporary?

I am very worried about that transformation of my low ear tinnitus to brain tinnitus and I hope is only temporary, I know only a month has passed since that incident but I'm very worried that it may have decreased my chances of full recovery.... :( Do you think I still have hope for full recovery?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Based on OSHA regulations we can listen to 85 dB for up to 8 hours without doing any damage. Whether that is different for people with noise induced hearing damage is unknown. I would like to think that short period of time wouldn't do damage to you hears, but I don't know

@dpdx knows more about hearing tests than me.

Also seeing that your tinnitus is fluctuating is a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I really wish people would stop using the OSHA guidelines as the gold standard for what is safe. 85db for 8 hours for someone with pre-existing noise induced tinnitus is just asking for trouble.

As for the acoustic reflex test, it's probably a temporary spike, but the acoustic reflex test should not be done on anyone that has hypearcusis. It's contraindicated. I would ask the audiologist / ENT who preformed that test to explain the results. Although you might prepare for them to be defensive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      We use it because it is the only standard we have....

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Those tests are not safe to do (Acoustic Reflex, ECOG, and VEMP), they can cause further hearing damage as our ears are more fragile now. I had a mild ear tinnitus 2/10, after cvemp I developed more tones and a subway screeching brain tinnitus, tinnitus on the good ear, and hyperacusis in both ears. I lost a slight bit of hearing on the left and right ear (dips on 15khz on 3 and 6khz), but my inner hair cells are damaged by those tests. I still suffer with Hyperacusis and Tinnitus and it has been since January 15/16.

My T right now is a 7 or 8 out of 10 and on a good day which is 1 or 2 days per week it is a 6/10.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      I made tympanometry/acoustic reflex test 3 times after acoustic trauma and it didn't worse my tinnitus. But after I developed mild hyperacusis this year and made this test once again I developed new tones in both ears. They eventually went away after 2-3 days in 90%.
      I wouldn't do this anymore but it just me.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      And I have mentioned many times why it is inadequate. It's based on very old data for industrial workers that doesn't take a lot of things into account.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Temporary spikes can also include temporary new tones and "brain tinnitus"?

Because my tinnitus didnt exactly spike, but rather transformed into a worse form... Im really scared :(

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You will need to wait 2-3 months before it would be possible to answer this question. If it doesn't fade and is relentlessly at the same level for 2 months, then that would not be a good sign.

In the future, don't trust the doctors (or anyone else), and do what you can to avoid noise exposure (especially the noise that goes directly into your ear).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If the use of a standard is causing people to become invalids, then perhaps that standard ought to not be used.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think they can.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry, I didn't see the above earlier. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about this new tone. It ought to continue to fade.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The Jordan
      Sad

The Jordan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/06/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Cinema)
      Dont worry @Bill Bauer , I have previously read some messages that you have write in this forum and I have to say that I respect you a lot because how informative, precise, wise and objective you are.

I was feeling so hopeless right now (couldnt even sleep) but your messages have relaxed me a lot.

Also, I want to add that my new tone on my right ear has been 1/10 since onset 2 weeks ago, but yesterday it spiked for a few hours, but then it returned to baseline.
      It did the same 1 more time and today as well, but always returns to the very low baseline, but it scare me because this tone is much more annoying than any previous one that I had because it sounds like white noise.
      (And I remember read somewhere that you said that white noise tones were the most dangerous ones, or something like that, so I freaked out).

Are those random mini-spikes for a few hours not a sign to worry about for the tone eventual disappear if this new tone normal baseline is 1/10?

Anyway, thank you a lot.

Ps: (I wonder if I can send you a private message too?)

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Normally, it doesn't just fade. Usually it resembles a stock price chart (which hopefully has a downward trend; here the height represents the volume level). What matters is the trend and the global lows.

I used to get very agitated whenever my T would get louder as a result of some external shock. These days I know that it makes sense to ignore those short term fluctuations.
      In my personal experience, those mini-spikes are normal and are not something to worry about. I can't recall reading any posts that indicate that this is not the case for other people.
      Feel free to send a PM to me. I will have to reply tomorrow, though, as it is midnight in my Pacific Time Zone.
      If it is at 1/10, it will be difficult to notice the fading (it is my understanding that the quieter it is, the slower it fades). But there is a very good chance that it is in fact fading. Try to match the volume to an external sound. That way 3-6 months from now you will be able to see whether it had faded compared to how it is now.
      Thank you for your kind words!

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This happened to me and I got Severe hyperacusis, it didnt get better but it worsened after being at a resturant. I lost a lot of hearing from calorc/cvemp (inner hair cells). If it dosent get better in 3-6 months it is likely to be permanent. I have permanent T and H now.

16. jimj

jimj Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Effexor
      Reply to The Jordan: I think you have a strong chance at improving. Like someone else said, the fluctuating is a good sign. Someone mentioned trying meds such as gabapentin (neurontin is the brand name). My opinion is to stay away from gabapentin. I am currently experiencing withdrawal from gabapentin after having been on 1500 mg a day for about 4 months. The withdrawal for me (it's different for everyone) has been extremely tough and one of the potential side effects during withdrawal is tinnitus. I experienced very bad anxiety attacks because of the withdrawal. That led me to trying effexor for anxiety. The effexor induced tinnitus. I've been dealing with it for about 6 weeks and it was slowly improving. However, like you, I had a setback. I was experiencing nausea from the gabapentin withdrawal and I tried some benadryl to help with the nausea. I tried some 25 mg caplets yesterday (4 spaced out during the day). I woke up this morning with my tinnitus much louder. I hope that it just subsides again and I'll stay away from the benadryl. I understand the tough part is being patient and remaining hopeful and optimistic. However, I think things will improve for you again. Please keep us posted with your progress and I will try to do the same.

17. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Absolutely agree! Microsuction screwedmy mild Tinnitus up big time! I’d never let another thing near my ears! I truly don’t understand why they do this. It enrages me so much!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      And yet we have to put up with it and shut up!!!! There’s absolutely no justice for ‘professionals’ errors! :(

19. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are at HIGH RISK for damage now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      ENTs glaze over with total boredom when they hear you say tinnitus. But then they are like hey let’s stick these extremely loud things in your ear and make it worse. Oh it’s perfectly safe they assure us. Dumb f***s.
      It’s like going to the doctor for s sprained ankle and them taking a sledge hammer to it like in the movie Misery.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      My ENT wanted to send me for a VEMP test and an MRI a few months ago. I asked how loud the VEMP was, and he said "pretty loud", to which I responded "but that'll hurt me, I have hearing sensitivity". And regarding the MRI, he said "they'll give you ear plugs".

I'd had it with him and never went back. He was good at ear wax removal though.

22. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      If you went through with those tests and things worsened for you he would have basically told you to stop whinging and get lost as there’s nothing they can do to help. Such morons.

23. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lucky I read this forum first.

24. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good thing you didnt do it. I did VEMP Test and ended up with inner hair cell damage in both ears and hearing loss. I am still dealing with Severe H and Severe T. My hearing never recovered from the damage caused by VEMP and CALORIC tests.

25. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My audiologist I saw later on (a very beautiful woman, I feel like adding!), also told me that it was good I didn't do it. She was way more clued into this than the ENT.

26. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear tests damage hearing 100%

27. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Then what's the point of them? If they're so damaging, why haven't they ceased administering them? What happened to the old clinical motto "do no harm"?

28. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      An ENT tried to do an Acoustic Reflex Test on me, but within one to two seconds, I moved my head away and said that it was too loud for me to endure. Not until later on did I realize how close I had been to aggravate my condition.

You can't trust doctors.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh man, what was his reaction?

30. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      He didn't persist.

When I lie on my death bed many years from now, I will remember it as the one thing I did right in life.

• Like Like x 1