Cycling and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Straw, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Hello everyone,

I am looking to get into a new hobby that will get me outside and physically active. I am thinking about cycling since I love being in nature and listening to nature sounds.

Is there any potential concern with cycling and tinnitus that I may be unaware of? From what I can gather cycling is a relatively quiet hobby when done on bike trials and major roads are avoided. The only real concern is wind speed causing "loud noise", which shouldn't be a problem because I will stay at slower speeds. If it is windy on the day I cycle I can always wear ear plugs or muffs. This should work right? Or does wind hitting ear plugs and muffs cause sound?

Any other advice for me? Anything I am missing here?

I hope everyone is doing well!

Regards,

Jack

• Like Like x 2
    2. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      @Jack Straw I am an avid cyclist (amature road and criterium racer). I wore cat ears (or windblox) for a while. But I recently just bought an aero helmet that covers much of the ears and wow...did this make a difference. I own the giro vanguish. It is about 200 USD, but verrryyy worth it IMHO.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Luminox

Luminox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been cycling for quite some time, and I can state that cycling (as any other vigorous exercise) can significantly help with managing anxiety and keeping depression away. When I ride my bike, my tinnitus will temporary spike up (because of the higher blood circulation). However, the feeling of natural dopamine after the ride is just amazing. The wind actually masks my tinnitus and makes me feel free!

Riding my bike improves my mood overall and help me to sleep much, much better.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Agree with the above poster. More distraction and more life and exercise is the best recipe for tinnitus and not being withdrawn and fearful which promotes the exorable repetitive do loop of focusing on it and obsession.

As you may be able to tell by my avatar cycling is a big part of my life. There is something you should be made aware of. Quite possible over my life of cycling, that it has been a contributor to my tinnitus. Unprovable of course but cycling with saddle to handlebar drop common on road bikes and racing bikes causes a head forward position with prolonged neck extension. This places a lot of stress on the nerves adjacent to the audority nerve.

So my advice is...if you purchase a drop bar bike, choose what is called a French fit whereby the handlebar is about the same height as the saddle or above. This will reduce magnitude of neck extension and stress on the base of the neck.

To me wind noise isn't a big deal. In fact, it somewhat naturally masks my tinnitus. I 'generally' don't hear my tinnitus on the bike. When out in the environment, my tinnitus is more evaporative.

But, bike fit is critical in particular if choosing say a road bike versus a mountain bike whereby the riding position is generally more upright for the latter and the spine is more in compression versus a cantilever inducing tension in the neck area. The weight of the head is about the same as a bowling ball and holding this up with torso more horizontal places a lot of stress at the base of the neck where nerves can interact with the hearing apparatus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Before I drop too much money into this hobby I want to do it for a little. I think I will start with Cat Ears and if they are good ill stick with them for a little or until I feel the wind sound is too loud.

do you wear any other hearing protection besides that?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you very much for the response! It helps reinforce why I should give this hobby a go.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very interesting. I thought you were going to mention wind noise contributing to your tinnitus, but i didn't realize that neck strain can also do that.

Thank you for sharing!

8. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usually no. But on rides where there is an extended downhill and I may be going near 50 MPH or into extreme wind I do... but not with my aero helmet.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you are going downhill, a lot what additional protection do you use? Bam mentioned that earplugs can sometimes make the wind louder as it hits the ear plugs.

10. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I ride a lot. Like others, my tinnitus spikes dramatically when I ride, but riding overall makes it much more bearable, mostly because I am more relaxed, sleep better, and just happier overall. It takes a long time to build your cycling specific musclies and endurance to sustain it, but the harder you go the better. Doing ultra high intensity intervals is amazing. I sometimes use a single ear Bluetooth earpiece and listen to audiobooks while riding. The spoken word really masks the ringing for me, but I advise this can be dangerous in traffic.

If you have the funds try Zwift. It’s an online racing/social riding app that you hook up to a connected bike trainer. I use it all winter and in foul weather. You don’t have the wind noise you can play music. I would not not do it as a replacement for outdoor cycling, but its great if you live an region where weather limits you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spikes because of noise level or increase blood flow to ear?

12. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I’m not sure. In my case I’m pretty sure it’s due to the hyperextension of my neck and the stress it puts on my neck muscles and the increased blood flow. I also think keeping off excess fat makes a difference. I just don’t find that external (real) noise affects my tinnitus, other than psychologically...

13. Manny
      In pain

Manny Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      central gain << NIHL
      50 mph on a bicycle?? That's pretty lit.

14. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long descents on large hills with little turns. It's going fast in corners that separates the wheat from the chaff!

• Funny Funny x 1
    15. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I find my tinnitus is quieter after cycling - no idea why.

16. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree that bike fit is critical. I like Italian fit :)

17. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Just looked at this helmet online and it doesn’t appear to cover the ears at all. Am I looking at the right one??

18. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The visor creates an air gap around the ears. It's technically open (an open ear is a requirement for road racing in UCI classifications) but it is muccchhh quieter than adding cat ears or windblox to a standard non-aero helmet. You could go full aero like the Giro Aeorohead! Check that one out. But I can't race road or crits in that helmet, only tris and time trials.

@Bam you can check out this helmet to: https://www.lazersport.com/adult-helmets/wasp-air-tri A few of my racing buddies swear by this one. You can also check out the Kask Bambino. It's what Team Sky uses. It's pretty much the best you can get.

• Like Like x 1
    19. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I used to be a competitive rider and ride about 5-6K miles per year now. I still ride with the fastest riders in town in spite of my advancing years.
      My tinnitus stays about the same...when I start versus when I finish. But, my tinnitus varies a fair amount daily if not hourly from mild to rather loud and annoying. I of course think about the dynamic of neck extension and what it does to the nerves at the base of the neck. I like to ride aero to ride fast and keep up with other strong riders. I don't believe this change in blood flow and/or compressions to the nerves at the base of the neck is positive for my tinnitus and may have even been a contributor over the decades I have been a rider.

But as touched upon and I believe this to be overarching, I believe people that dramatically alter their lifestyle to 'pander to tinnitus'...to be forever engaged in monitoring it and constantly obsessing over root cause when there are so many unanswerable contributing factors to tinnitus, I believe this promotes more anxiety and worsens tinnitus.

That said, I listened to Michael's advice for example and stopped wearing earphones, on and off the bike because I believe they promote excessive sound level over ambient sound levels. I try to avoid very loud music and noise levels to protect what ear health I have left and not further temp fate.

But cycling overall for me is who I am and a blessing. I love to hammer on the flats and get an endorphin buzz and let the environment drown out this scourge we all share. I have considered stopping but never very seriously.
      Live life fully.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey, it sounds a great idea to keep trying to do the things you love and enjoying life. Just tinnitus a bit of a bugger if the leisure activity you loved the most was to be curled up in a silent room with a good book. I've cycled for 30 years but to me it's just a way of getting around and keeping fit.

Ignore the bastard is the best way though.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Aficianado

Aficianado Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am a long- time cyclist and participated in the sport before I got tinnitus as well as while I had tt and after it went away about a year ago, so I would go for it if I were you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Great that it went away. @Bam it can sometimes happen.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For anyone still interested I am looking at bikes and the salesmen mentioned the Trek Marlin 5 2018. I am looking to ride paved trails and do some beginner mountain bike trails, which is why I am thinking about it. He said it was a good beginner bike and in my price range ($500).

Trek a good brand? Everywhere I look online says it is.

24. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      Hi All,

Are there any cyclists on this forum? I'm talking bicycles.

I love cycling and since not being able to drive anymore it's beceme quite a passion of mine.

I have mild tinnitus and hyperacusis and I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with cycling?

I'm thinking wind noise is the main issue?

Thanks,

COYS

25. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      https://www.helmetangel.com/product/jet/

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    27. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Jack Straw how have you found cycling with your tinnitus? Do you have hyperacusis as well?

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don’t find it to be an issue. If it gets too loud for whatever reason, I wear ear plugs but ultimately I don’t have an issue.

29. COYS
      Sporty

COYS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock
      @Jack Straw Thanks!

Will definitely give it a go. I want to get back into road cycling. I'm a bit nervous about the hyperacusis but I can only try right!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. MikeS
      Mellow

MikeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident
      I sometimes cycle to work. I find the wind comforting. It takes my mind off the tinnitus. It also takes the edge off my tinnitus. And being healthy always helps.