Cyclobenzaprine/Flexeril

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, May 29, 2012.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have now been on flexeril for over a month. I just bumped up my dosage to 20 mg a day from 10 mg. I am pretty groggy but have noticed my T is definitely a notch lower then it was Mon/Tues/Wednesday of this week. I had a great day yesterday which directly corresponded with my bumping up to 20 mg of flexeril. (Generic) I will continue to update hoping this reduction will last. But it is hard to say with 100% certainty that it is the med doing the leg work. I could give a strong 85% certainty that though and I am definitely a skeptic so 85 is a generous number. The study indicated a higher (30 mg time released) dose made a noticeable difference so it would make sense. Hope everybody is well and carry on. Cheers.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @SoulStation Thank you for keeping us informed! Let us know if the grogginess also lessens as your body gets used to the dosage. Hopefully, you'll get at least a 50% reduction. That much--along with tolerable side effects--might be enough for more people to try this drug. Not everyone is brave enough for Retigabine, and Autifony isn't targeting the US for clinical trials. At least, not yet!

And you're right about the study being very specific regarding 30 mg, time-released. Are you US based? It looks like the 30 mg time-release version is available. It's name is Amrix. The time-release formula is available in 15 and 30 mg.

Here's the reference:

Here's a list of side effects:

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 10.44.06 PM.png

Here's the tinnitus mention:

Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 10.48.47 PM.png

A 2012 study, moreover, noted the drug works best on unilateral and pure tone tinnitus. Of interest, noise tinnitus and pure tone tinnitus have separate brain signatures according to recent studies. Is your tinnitus pure tone or noise or both?

For the 2012 study, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22541838

Thanks again for the information!:)

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is a bit of each. It's bilateral. But definitely the majority of it pure tone. Sounds like a sine wave.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Codaz

Codaz Member

What about hyperacusis as my dental surgeon said these meds belong in the anti epileptica group?

5. OnceUponaTime
      Fine

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
      @SoulStation Did you stopped taking this medication?? Did it helped???

6. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes but was too much on a daily basis.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. DannyTinnitus!

DannyTinnitus! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/14
      Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have recently developed tinnitus. I just happen to have some old flexeril lying around from an old injury, and desperate to get this T under control so taking a 10mg dose now!

8. OnceUponaTime
      Fine

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
      @DannyTinnitus! Hope you feel better soon. Let me know if flexeril works for you.

9. DannyTinnitus!

DannyTinnitus! Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1/14
      @OnceUponaTime So I took the dose last night, and it had no immediate effect as the ringing was still about the same. However, it did work as a wonderful sleepaid, which is good as I'm a light sleeper and sometimes the tinnitus can keep me for several hours.

This morning, the ringing had subsided a little bit, however I'm a bit groggy. I'm going to monitor and see how this progresses throughout the day.

10. korianto
      Sleepy

korianto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1996
      Interesting thread, but as usual, i get the reverse reaction. When I take Flexeril, my Tinnitus level ramps up considerably. It's only then that it becomes almost intolerable.

Right now, I've been taking Flexeril around the clock for 60+ hours, taking a full pill to start, and then half pills. I do that because they make me sleep to much, and a bit incoherent when I speak.

My Doctor wanted me on Flexeril to determine if my left kidney pain was due to back muscle spasms, or internal to the kidney itself. After 3 days, I can safely say that it's the kidney, so next up is the CT scan. Meanwhile, I have to put up with this elevated Tinnitus levels for a few more days,

11. Setmaster

Setmaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2014
      Started taking it yesterday, it completely nullifies my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    12. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Made my T worse after initially making a dent. It seems many sedating drugs have a good effect in T but the rebound I find is tough when drug wears off.
      I get huge reduction of T from opioid pain meds but it's a bad habit to maintain, needless to say. I Don't know how anyone who finds relief from a med can control not using often.
      Did everyone taking Potagia stop after having better days on it?
      Who's strong enough to not suffer when you don't have to. That's the problem with taking any of these sedating meds, at least in my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      The invention provides cyclobenzaprine for use in the treatment of tinnitus and related auditory dysfunctions by oral administration as tablets, capsules, powder or a solution or by parenteral administration of cyclobenzaprine through intramuscular, intravenous, subcutaneous or intrathecal injection, or infusion, preferably in an amount from 15 to 45 mg/day, preferably in a long-term treatment over 2 or 8 weeks or more.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20120077883

14. TomKA
      Thinking

TomKA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004 -> 03/2014
      @dan: I try to read the text, but could not find more info than this that T got worse (worse or to baseline?) after wean off. Do you see info in the long text were they look at the tralies again after some weeks to see if there is some permanent effect on T?

"The treatment according to the invention is in principle a long-term treatment extending over 2 weeks or more, or preferably over 4, 8 or even 12 weeks or more. In some patients positive effects were seen already after shorter treatment durations. In the below-described trials the treatment of tinnitus with cyclobenzaprine was weaned off after 12 weeks and tinnitus then got worse in some patients. It is noteworthy that the structure of the molecule cyclobenzaprine is similar to the structure of tricyclic antidepressants which have been shown to be safe for long-term administration. Moreover, cyclobenzaprine is on the market already for a long time, and its tolerability and side effects are well known."

15. Setmaster

Setmaster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2014
      Just a little update, I tried not taking it for 1 day and the tinnitus came back but in a much less noticeable volume.

• Like Like x 1
    16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      BTW, @Setmaster Are you taking the sustained-release version? This version is supposed to be more effective on tinnitus because it keeps the drug at a study level for a longer time period. (See http://www.drugs.com/cdi/cyclobenzaprine-extended-release-capsules.html)

And here is the latest research on Flexeril and tinnitus in a rat study:

J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2014 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]

Partial to Complete Suppression of Unilateral Noise-Induced Tinnitus in Rats after Cyclobenzaprine Treatment.

Lobarinas E1, Blair C, Spankovich C, Le Prell C.
      Author information
      Abstract

Some forms of tinnitus are believed to arise from abnormal central nervous system activity following a single or repeated noise exposure, for which there are no widely accepted pharmacological treatments. One central site that could be related to tinnitus awareness or modulation is the locus coeruleus, a brainstem structure associated with stress, arousal, and attention. In the present study, we evaluated the effects of cyclobenzaprine, a drug known to act on the rat locus coeruleus, on noise-induced tinnitus using Gap Prepulse Inhibition of the Acoustic Startle (GPIAS). In untreated rats, brief silent gaps presented prior to a 5-10-kHz bandpass startling stimulus produced robust GPIAS. Treatment with cyclobenzaprine alone had no effect on the ability of gaps to suppress the startle response. When animals were exposed to intense narrow-band (126 dB SPL, 16 kHz, 100 Hz BW) unilateral noise, GPIAS was significantly reduced, suggesting the presence of tinnitus. Following the noise exposure, a subset of rats that maintained a robust startle response continued to show GPIAS impairment at 6-20 kHz, 40 days post-noise, suggesting chronic tinnitus. When this subset of animals was treated with cyclobenzaprine, at a dose that had no significant effects on the startle response (0.5 mg/kg), GPIAS recovered partially or to near baseline levels at the affected frequencies. These results were consistent with the absence of tinnitus. By 48 h post-treatment, evidence of tinnitus re-emerged. Our results suggest that cyclobenzaprine was effective in transiently suppressing noise-induced tinnitus in rats.

Reference:

17. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      ive got some flexeril ive had for awhile, maybe I will take it, I thought it was toxic to ear sso I stopped taking it for my neck issues and take robaxin now...

18. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      so why u say its oto toxic, if in the studies shows to help patients??

19. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I took flexeril for my middle ear myoclonus it didn't stop the spams I didn't noticed any change in my t. I stopped taking it because I hated feeling like a zombie and after a few pills it didn't make me sleepy.

20. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      juan carlos, I thought it was toxic to the ears, didn't know for sure... I thought I had read muscle relaxers can be toxic but I guess I was wrong..

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. lost horizons

lost horizons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      any update on Flexeril effectiveness for Tinnitus?

22. I take 2mg of clonazepam a day and now 10mg of flexeril as well. For a full week I noticed this concoction to lower my T and H. Separately they do not work however flex helps with ear pain.

23. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Does this work if someone has TMJ??

24. It can, yes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wonder why dentist don't prescribe it then :eek: , they always say use a splint at night which I think is useless

26. Different treatment depending on symptoms/ issues... I don't know about dentists, but both my doc and Neurologist prescribe it.

• Like Like x 1
    27. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Did it help u?

28. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      From the article:

65 patients received the drug treatment, while 30 patients received no treatment (i.e.,
      waiting list control group). A waiting list group was used as a control, as this is easier to do in the clinical setting of a pilot study,less time consuming and, and less costly than placebo-controlled clinical trials. Six patients that received drug treatment stopped taking the drug because they did not obtainany response after a few days, leaving 59 patients in the drug treatment group. The drug treatment group had to take cyclobenzaprine (10 mg) twice daily for 4 weeks. See Table 1 for tinnitus patients’ characteristics for the patients included in the study.
      So they completely forgo proper usage of controls because it is easier? They have no baseline to compare their results with. A completely flawed study from the start. They also only measured tinnitus with questionnaires. No minimum masking levels audiological matching. I have no idea how this passes for science, let alone the peer-review process.

De Ridder is involved in this study. People here on TT seems to think he's some kind of big-shot in the T research community. If this is true, this can't be good for us.

I am not impressed by the quality of his research and this casts a doubt on the validity of the brai2n clinic.

This falls in line with the thread made recently about the declining quality of science as a whole:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...he-pharmaceutical-industry.10260/#post-125456

29. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What's the difference between pure tone tinnitus and noise tinnitus ?

30. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      noise is like a bad tv set with no channel on it with the gray dots everywhere

tone is when the tv set has that image with the colors - test channel.