[Danny Boy Memorial Fund] In Loving Memory of Danny Boy

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by vermillion, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      SO SO!! Sorry to hear this sad news on Danny's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Richard zurowski,
      Hi son.
      It was a big shock and upsetting.
      Hope you're ok.

love glynis x

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis. Hi Mother I'm OK, only have just seen this very sad news on Danny Boy passing.

I’m really shocked and saddened at this moment. He had such a big influence on Tinnitus Talk in the past.

I was only thinking a few days ago that he hadn’t been on this forum for some while now.

As you know I haven’t been active on this forum for some time. I’ve suffered from depression due to tinnitus, that’s why.

But I’m ok at this present time thankfully for some counselling which I have been receiving.

Hope you are well too. xxx

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I must say I'm saddened learning about the passing of Danny Boy.

I joined this forum back in 2014 roughly around the same time as him. I remember the early posts of his desperate struggle with tinnitus, they really resonated with me as I was also in the early stage freak out stage of dealing with the tinnitus. Although I never really interacted too much with him, he was very much active back round 2015 and provided a lot of interesting information on the research and treatments sections of this forum.

I had Danny down as a "success story" as such. From what I could tell recently he had lowered his tinnitus and seemed to fairly inactive on this board, usually always a sign a user isn't struggling with their tinnitus to the same degree. It seems from previous posts on this thread he had other stress in his life that may have exceeded his ability to cope.

RIP Danny Boy.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Danny's fund raiser seems to be going well @Ed209. I love his photo showing his beautiful blue eyes even though they seem sad.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There’s currently a glitch on the amount of shares it’s had on Facebook. I estimate it to be over 1k now but it stopped working nearly 2 days ago so we’ll never know. It will hopefully be fixed soon. At one point we were trending so high we were on the front page of GoFundMe.

However, let’s keep campaigning and let’s raise a huge amount of money and make Danny proud.

For the last few days I’ve been working relentlessly on this notifying as many influential people as I can. I also got in touch with Action on Hearing Loss, and our campaign is now on their forum, too.

So, if you can take just a moment to share this with friends, and family, it will be of enormous help. And if you can afford to donate (anything you can), please do! I’d love to see more of you get involved.

• Winner Winner x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Omg Danny Boy!

I just found out about this big big loss.

If anyone needs to talk please don't think twice and message me, I don't give the best advice but I'm a good listener (reader).

I have a profound love for this forum.

Here I have found friends & support and I'm going to support back my fellow tinnitus buddies.

Rest in Peace Daniel.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Can someone please do me a huge favour. I’m pretty certain that the Facebook shares has a glitch but the GoFundMe team want to be sure that all new shares are completely unique. I’ve seen someone I know share it since that hasn’t been counted, but maybe the link had already been used or something. So, if someone who hasn’t shared this, can you please do it now to prove one way or the other.

If you press on the plus sign next to Facebook it will give you a unique link for sharing purposes.

Thanks.

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ed209,
      I deleted mine and reshared and it's working xxx

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi Glynis, it still says 561. We still need someone who definitely hasn’t shared it, to share it now and see if the counter rises. It’s almost certainly a glitch because there have been loads of shares over the last two days. But for the sake of being extremely thorough, it would be really useful if someone completely unique could share it for us, and then see what happens. So that we know, after you do this if you could comment here that would be awesome. If the counter still doesn’t rise then we can be 100%.

Although, I also noticed that a friend of Daniel said he had just shared it across his network and the counter still hasn’t risen since then either.

In either case, I’m pretty much in constant contact with GoFundMe, so let’s see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    11. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      The counter is not updating, I and my group friend shared it now on FB and the number is still 561. It should be 563 at a minimum!

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      DownDetector is showing problems 0n their map for Facebook - most of Northern Europe, West and East Coast USA.

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Thanks Ann, I think we pretty much knew it wasn’t working which is a real shame. Keeping track of the shares is valuable information. We should be well above 1k by now.

14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I didn't know him and have never read his threads. I hope he rests in peace and his family can piece their lives together. Bless them all....

PS-Tinnitus is a TOUGH battle, we need to unite, support, love each other more and more. We need to rid our lives of negativity and lack of support. I feel so bad that this young man left us so soon. God bless him and his family. TT will miss him dearly....

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    15. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I don't log in here as much as I used to, I was quite active when Danny was at his worst, we talked a couple of times, mostly about Trobalt if I remember correctly.

He gave me the impression of a person who contradicts himself constantly but that was part of his character. I liked him, I cannot deny that, he must have been a very social and giving person when he was OK - and I think I must have eaten as much garbage meds as he has had :bag:
      What separates myself and him is the fact that I have a supporting surrounding that will go out of their way to have my condition improved. I know I could be in his place and I wish he had just gone to a hospital and asked for help.

I hope this doesn't go down as another "death by depression" statistic, I hope something comes along that works, I hope that not a single other person ends up like Danny, I hope this fund-raiser turns some heads, I hope people stop being oblivious to other people who suffer within but look OK on the outside. I hope...

There's a saying where I live for those departed - "Have a nice heaven" - I suppose it might sound corny to most people but that's all I have to offer to my friend Danny now.

• Like Like x 8
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @jimH, you are an absolute gentleman and your generosity has not gone unnoticed. Thank you for being totally and utterly awesome.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks for the kind words, @Ed209. I just wanted to give some additional help so that we'll surpass the 2000 mark today.

• Winner Winner x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    18. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thank you to everyone giving to Daniel's fund.

love glynis

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      We will continue to be committed to Danny's cause created by @Ed209 and so many wonderful donations so far.

No one is going to make this cause unimportant!!

My husband and I are donating for each and every member here and each and every tinnitus sufferer.

So @jimH we did it for you also. Passed the 2,000.00 mark today!!

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’m assuming that was you Starthrower! I can’t thank you enough, and that goes for every other person who has contributed in some way, either by donations or by sharing the campaign.

I’m sure Danny would be smiling right now if he could see how we’ve all come together.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yes @Ed209. I do not do any social media including Facebook.

This cause is so important. From this day forward we are only going to support the BTA and TT regarding tinnitus donations. The BTA so quickly helped you out with this. Thank them for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      £2007 ($2630) in five days is pretty awesome! Let’s keep this momentum going because I believe we can make this campaign something special. Something that others will take notice of.

Let’s not forget, the other day we were trending so high we were on the front page of GoFundMe in the U.K.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thanks ST!
      Convey a "Thank You" from us to your husband, as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    24. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      When people donate to this cause I hope they realize they are helping others with tinnitus all around the world.
      The awareness is so important. You may not know how your donation helped a person - that is the beauty of giving.

Someone out there has the help they so desperately need. Whether it is research money for a cure or the simple knowledge that something is being done - it makes a difference.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I must admit I am disappointed that not more people have donated to this fundraiser.

I just keep thinking if this was a fundraiser for cancer there would have been several thousand people who would have donated by now. @Ed209 I am starting to get what you mean when you say there is an indifference to fundraising in the tinnitus community :/

• Agree Agree x 4
    26. Maria Lopez

Maria Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      One more time severe tinnitus and hyperacusis put in darkness one good family and unfortunately we are still in the same position as 100 years ago.

Everything is speculation and maybe this horrific condition has never been taken seriously and never will.

Thanks to this we are going to continue to see these kinds of horrific tragedies in the future.

My condolences to Danny's family, please GOD help us.

27. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      GOD will help nobody! Only researchers' work will help us, and for that to happen we need to contribute to research with our time and money.

• Agree Agree x 5
    28. Maria Lopez

Maria Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes I agree with the money and research part but looks like only God is the one going to help us.

Every single year it is the same. 5 to 10 years more waiting and then NOTHING. No matter how much money we put in.

I lost everything because of this horrific extremely stupid severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, so even if I wanted to donate I can't because this shit took everything from my life.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Unfortunately, this is how the tinnitus community works against itself. We all want more research; we want treatments; we want a cure; we want to see some form of action; we want to lessen the suffering of others, and we also want more awareness. But, only the most tiny, minuscule percentage, take some form of action to help ensure these things can happen. The vast majority of people would rather do nothing at all, and unfortunately, that’s the sad reality that we find ourselves in. The number of views on this thread is in the multiple thousands, and of those, fewer than 70 have donated (more likely fewer than this as well). I know this because at least 11 donations are from people I know (non-tinnitus sufferers), and more than likely, some are people that know those people. This means the percentage who have donated is a tiny fraction of 1%. In fact, if we did get to 1%, that would be a huge increase in contributions.

I really didn’t want to post this, because after all, we’re still doing awesome, regardless, and this is thanks to all the amazing donations from members here, and from others elsewhere to which we are all collectively over-the-moon with.

However, I feel this reality check is also really important, and useful. I have spent some time looking at other campaigns that have been successful, to see if we can pick up anything useful that might make ours better. I’ve noted quite a fair few campaigns with 700-2k Facebook shares reaching very high, respectable, figures. Not just one-offs either. These campaigns have various causes but what strikes me is how people really rally round other conditions, whilst tinnitus related campaigns often have very little donation activity. The number of shares we have had for the last 6 days is breathtaking! But this hasn’t really converted into donations as well as you’d expect.

I will add a reminder that this money will be going directly to research, and nothing else. So, if we all care so deeply then let’s supercharge our efforts. If all the viewers to this thread had donated just a £1 each we’d have likely reached our target by now. I set that £10k figure as a rudimentary goal; I think we’d all love to see us set a new precedent in terms of what a tinnitus fundraiser can do. Success breeds success. And most importantly of all, let’s do it for Danny!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is really sad that things are this way :(

I must say that I feel people have no right to complain about there not being a cure if they are not willing to give even a few bucks to research. I am quite low on money as well, but I know that if I want something I have to want to give. That's just how it is....you can't go into a shop and get away with an item without paying for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1