Deaf... Is This Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by keenly, Apr 27, 2016.

1. keenly

keenly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      this past week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi! I am new to this website. I was born with severe hearing loss, I hear pretty well with my hearing aids I can engage in coversations with hearing people. For the last 2 years I've been listening to music on my earbuds, which of course was a bad idea since I am listening to it loudly in order to hear it. The last week (I think, not sure if it has been longer) I noticed like, music lingering? It would stop. But this week I've been hearing not a ringing but what sounds like lots and lots of birds chirping... Now of course I am starting to be frustrated since I've had hearing loss my whole life so I am used to silence when I sleep or shower or whenever my hearing aids are off but now all I hear is this, even with my hearing aids on.... Is this truly tinnitus? I am severely grieving over silence now, I am willing to stop using earbuds but according to what I've been reading, the damage is already done and I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes this is indeed tinnitus. It could still go away but especially with severe hearing loss it might stay for good. For now I would advise you to not listen to music with your earbuds and to go see an ENT to check if there is further hearing loss. If yes you might want to do a course of prednisone.

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk Keenly.

I would see your doctor and might give you so mm e Prednisalone to try calm down your ears.
      It's early days and it might settle in a few days ......lots of love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      keenly

keenly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      this past week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Wow this is heartbreaking honestly... I never thought I would never hear silence again...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      keenly

keenly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      this past week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I noticed the music thing around March 16, it came back at random times but never persistently. Typically I rately wear my hearing aids and I use earbuds to listen to music. I think it started around a few days ago (maybe a week?) thats when I started noticing it while I was laying down in bed. Im reading in the forum that wearing hearing aids helped people, so I will try wearing my hearing aids from now on and not using earbuds anymore. I'm hoping so much this works.