Deafness Cure in 5 Years

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Rachiejo, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Agreed, except the shit in two years is going to be awesome. At least that's what my bookie told me in Vegas. But seriously, the explanations and breakdown at least for progenitor cell regeneration is really straight forward and clear. Good effective science fits this criteria.

2. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      Science progresses slowly and imperfectly (drugs have side effects, sometimes serious).
      When I was 19 years old, my teenage acne did not disappear and I did a treatment with isotretinoine (acutane). If I had acne today, 15 years later, I would not have new treatments, the disease is still treated in the same way.

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Retin-A works too.

4. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Didn´t know that. I don´t have it anymore. I took finasteride too so my DHT levels are probably low forever and my skin is not oily anymore.

But I understand both productus (retin-A and Accutane) are vitamin A based.

What I wanted to say is that, if you want to "cure" your acne by attacking the cause, the only thing that still exists is Accutane. So there were no great advances in all these years.

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And Accutane is really bad for you too.
      I have noticed that when I get a nasty bump that tea tree oil works really well.

6. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did not have serious side effects but I know many people who didn´t have the same luck. My treatment was short because the acne was moderate.

The problem is taking a drug for years. That's why I'm not so enthusiastic about the pharmacological (pills) developments for tinnitus. However, I would probably take the risk to treat such a horrible condition.:(

7. Jab4

Jab4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/31/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was listening to Ray Kurzweil on YouTube... he believes in the next 5 to 7 years we will have biological stimulators combined with advanced AI...We won't have to wait 3 or more years for drug trials to get improved but in his words 3 hours.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Or you could ask it to cure a certain disease and it would print out instructions for the cure, or even produce the compound.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I read the singularity is near back when it came out. I am also a fan of Kurzweil and consider myself a transhumanist.

You have no idea how much I wish I was born just 10 years later. We wouldn’t have to suffer through this shitnitus.

By 2029, AGI, BCIs and FIVR will be out and we will have all likely moved on from tinnitus, most if not all diseases(including aging) will have been dealt with by then. By the 2030s we will begin transcending biology altogether(posthuman) by merging with Artificial General Intelligence.

But my god, I could have done without it. I think when I can, I’m going to wipe all memory of this condition.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Not to be disrespectful but if you really believe that you are incredibly naive, the sad truth is that most things will most likely be very similar to what they are now in 10 years time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Brain Computer Interfaces are what will give us AGI, not sure if you’ve kept up with recent developments. But Mary Lou Jepsen of Openwater (Google it) has developed a BCI that can scan the entire brain with infrared light, it can read neurons at the submicron level. It can literally scan your thoughts and as your axons are synapses are firing off. Her device is already ready and the dev kits are set to release this year. She has already beat Elon Musk to the finish line.

We can copy/paste the human brain’s architecture and combine it with deep learning(which has recently defeated top pros at Starcraft II and DOTA II even without BCIs), not sure if you’ve been keeping up with recent events, but AI has been going through a renaissance. Don’t be discouraged because the Tinnitus world is moving slow, because a lot of other fields are moving very fast. AI is having a breakthrough every couple of days. And Brain Computer Interfaces are about to combine with deep learning. One field of science helps another. BCIs help will help an already fast moving AI field reach it’s end goal faster than expected. These general learning algorithms can then be applied to solving all different kinds of problems humans currently struggle with.

You solve intelligence, you solve everything else. If we get a general learning algorithm in the next few years, consider everything cured. Because it will be far more intelligent than the entire human race combined in a very short amount of time.

We will have generalized learning algorithms by the middle of next decade. After that, human research doesn’t matter.

Quite frankly, I agree with Elon Musk, we need BCIs here quick just in case AGI gets here without them. Humanity has no choice but to merge with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well, I am not an expert nor have I researched seas of papers, however I am a computer science student and I'm aware how AI is opening a lot of doors to technology, but my opinion is that when you deal with brain problems, it's never as simple as just "using algorithms to solve problems" . Don't get me wrong, I long for a tinnitus cure so much, I feel like my life is just ruined because of this and I would give anything, and I mean anything to be cured, but I think saying that a cure is 5~10 years away is just too optimistic, I honestly hope with all my heart I am wrong about this.

Plus... I think it's ironic how people are talking about a cure in 5 years in a post that is 4 years old that promised exactly the same thing.

13. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I understand your frustration 100%, but I don’t think you’ll have to suffer for too much longer. Hang in there and stand strong.

And yes, when it comes to any one drug or trial, you shouldn’t put all your hopes into it (see FX-322).

I think we already understand the basic concepts of tinnitus. A lot of it has to do with neuroplasticity in the brain. I know the commonly held theory is that the brain is trying to fill in the lost frequencies by emitting a sound. We at least see this method is effective for the vast majority of people (at least that’s what the numbers in the trials have shown).

We already have a partial treatment on the way (Lenire, Dr. Hubert Lim and Dr. Susan Shore), and while this might not eliminate the sound for everyone, it’ll certainly help people reach the end goal. And it could still silence your tinnitus, we have had severe sufferers testify on this board surrounding bimodal stimulation.

But for an AI, I don’t think it’ll be much an issue. Even if all these treatments fail, I think AI will beat humans to finding a solution (but we already know bimodal stimulation works for 86% of people).

14. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It makes perfect sense because people who are in this sort of mindset aren't really interested in determining the true odds of something happening by this or that date. They are adopting this mindset like a drug to get them through each day. I'm too much of an empiricist to do this, which is why I largely avoided scanning around for tinnitus developments for all the years I've had tinnitus. I'm only doing it now out of a greater sense of desperation.

15. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, FX-322 could get approved soonish. Also, I am adamant that injections of PRP/bone marrow can treat hearing loss, and all that is required to get that going is ENT's willing to try it. Theoretically in a year, I and others could probably convince a handful of ENT's to try this out, and if it is successful, and it will be, then there you have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I totally get that... and I apologise to anyone if I seem bitter, it's just that tinnitus ruins me everyday and I'm just sick and tired of all these promises but in reality having no relief... I want to believe that something will come, but it's just so hard after all the promises and scams that are out there.

17. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I hope you are right.

18. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      You know what, thanks man. You just gave me a tiny bit of hope. I honestly hope you are right because I don't know how much longer I can take this... I am aware a lot of people in this forum say this but it has been three years and it has only gotten worse for me over and over again, I am not sure how to cope or how to live like this any longer when it feels like you have lost everything and nothing matters anymore.

19. Jab4

Jab4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/31/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Exactly. You're not an expert and I'm not an expert and that's why I listen to people who are experts in their field. To say the next ten years will be like the last ten years is absurd. You definitely need to do more research. Being a computer science student you should know about Moore's law and the doubling of processing speed every 2 years. This is called exponential growth and its happening in a number of areas such as gene sequencing.

I would recommend watching Demis Hassabis, probably one of the greatest minds on AI and founder of Deep Mind... He talks about AlphaFold and how AI is solving the protein folding problem which normally takes 5 years to fold just one protein and AI is doing it in matter of hours. You can find it on YouTube.

It seems like every day they're finding new discoveries, it's hard for me to keep up with them all.

We are living in the most exciting times ever. Over the next decade we're going to see miracles.

20. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      That’s the law of accelerating returns. Things start out extremely slow then speed up immensely.

21. Jab4

Jab4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/31/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Another fan of Ray Kurzweil :)

• Like Like x 1
    22. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I used to think in the early 2010s that AGI would be achieved in the late 20s from deep learning and zettascale computing. But I think we can have it by mid 2020s if we use brain computer interfaces.

I’m more optimistic than Kurzweil because he only factored in achieving Artificial General Intelligence via bottom up approach(building it from hand) rather than top town(combine nearly as good deep learning with BCIs/human brain)

I think even the people over at OpenAI, Deepmind and Baidu are all going to be shocked when they see other branches of sciences combining with their work to produce AGI before they could hand craft it.

Anyway, come next decade, our worries won’t be Tinnitus. It’ll be able us becoming posthuman as fast a season humanly possible. The quicker we merge with AGI, the better. We really have no other choice but to join it.

AI could probably solve tinnitus in seconds, if not minutes if it’s a hard takeoff ASI and not a soft takeoff AGI. (Another thing I disagree with Kurzweil on is soft takeoff, from what I can see, all the evidence is pointing towards a hard takeoff, OpenAI Five achieves grandmaster DOTA2 status in hours, why couldn’t a General purpose algorithm do the same?)

23. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I agree but solving processing problems using AI is not the same as finding a cure or treatment for a condition. It just means some steps are possible when they weren't or a lot faster. It doesn't mean it gives you all the answers and solutions, there is still plenty of things that AI can't do, and it's also about if anyone is actually researching in the field.

Last time I checked tinnitus wasn't a priority, Dr. Rauschecker said that himself, most organisations that fund this type of research have other priorities so as much as I'd love any sort of relief for tinnitus I don't think we will see a legit cure or treatment in a long time.

24. JoNo78

JoNo78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hey John,
      you're really optimistic! But well,I hope the same... And what FT and REGAIN have posted sound good!or what would the others say?

25. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There is a world renowned lab just 5 minutes from where I live that is conducting stem cell research as we speak. I was talking with a nurse with over thirty years experience the other day and she believes we are on the verge of some major breakthroughs in medicine. I envy the young and the coming generations that won't have to deal with the multitude of diseases and disabilities that we currently deal with. I hope to take advantage of the discoveries and treatments that hopefully are right around the corner.

• Like Like x 1
    26. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This statement is true no matter when, in history, it is being expressed, because "on the verge" and "major" are both very subjective terms.

27. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      We’re talking about a super intelligence that’s capable of outsmarting the entire human race combined here though.

Those Algorithms will go out and solve the issues facing a ton of other fields and health conditions. Tinnitus included.

28. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I suppose it's all relative, but stem cells do hold great promise. The applications are many.

29. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed, but realize we started researching stem cells about 40 years ago (1981). We've been "on the verge" for decades...

The thing is, there are often breakthroughs that unlock other breakthroughs. The ones we plebeians benefit from are "end of the chain breakthroughs", and they seem sparse, but from a scientific perspective, intermediate breakthroughs accelerate progress tremendously.

An example of that, which is directly applicable to us, is the "Ear in a dish project", that is key to accelerating a bunch of other research, that will ultimately benefit patients (even if only a small percentage reaches successful outcomes).

30. Jab4

Jab4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/31/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      AI is already being used in finding many cures. Right now we have around half a million humans DNA sequenced and in about 3 years about 2 billion people. What AI is great at doing is taking all this genetic information and comparing it to the phenotypes. Example: why do my sister, mother and wife have hearing loss much worse than me while they don't have tinnitus but I do. There could be a genetic component to tinnitus.

We're reading and writing genetic information faster then ever because of AI and using CRISPR technology to edit these genes which are leading to cures.

All tinnitus sufferers should have their DNA sequenced. It's basically free now.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1