Deafness Cure in 5 Years

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Rachiejo, Apr 16, 2015.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. Plasticity, in abstract, it simply the ability for the brain to "reconfigure itself", ie neuronal topology. It happens all the time as we live through life. That's how learning happens.

The problem is that if you have hearing loss, the brain reorganizes itself "the wrong way". That's why it's called maladaptive plasticity. It thinks it's doing the right thing by allocating more "neuronal paths" to try and "crank up the volume" where you can't hear, but the outcome from that is worse than its cause, as you end up only amplifying noise rather than a useful signal. That is the genesis of Tinnitus in this particular case (there are other mechanisms for other root causes, such as otosclerosis).

Many studies have established that, and that is why many treatments try to reverse this (they try to trigger plasticity in the other direction). Sound therapies such as notch/windowed white noise/ACRN work under this assumption. Bi-modal stimulation too, but uses a somatic pathway to try to accomplish the reversal.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    2. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Studies, through multiple biopsies, have actually recently demonstrated that most hearing loss related tinnitus (that is, all the ones originating from cochlear dysfunction), are always tied to peripheral neuropathy (rather than just the loss of stereocilia) and have little to do with plasticity (maladaptive or otherwise) as a cause, plasticity however (more specifically the auditory cortex increasing its "gain"), has much to do with a significant increase in the perception of your tinnitus, in layman's term, the "parasitic" noise, already existed from an underlying condition (neuropathy) and its perception is then further increased by your auditory cortex as it perceives hearing loss and attempts to compensate so it would not be as impactful.

This mechanism exists in all brains, and we are not "special" in any way in that regard, the difference in between people who have hearing loss and no tinnitus, and us, is that they do not suffer from significant neuropathy (nerve damage), whereas their cochlear might still be experiencing a significant loss in stereocilia.

As to the brain reconfiguring itself, that does happen during the habituation process (triggered by chronic noise exposure processed through the prefrontal cortex), and is actually a physiological process, which physically deregulates receptors in the nucleus accumbens and reduces its size, this (the physical shrinkage of the nucleus accumbens) is actually measurable using contrastred MRI, an increase in dopamine can also be detected from this change. This however does not occur in every individuals (though it does in a large majority), for unknown reasons, this is why the habituation process does not happen for everyone, this may even be a blessing in disguise as we do not currently know all the possible side-effects caused by this physiological change.

Brain plasticity itself however, as I explained above, does not cause tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Unless there are heaps of money piled for hyperacusis and tinnitus research there will be no advances in the next century.

It is amazing that research is such an unproductive field. If people are dealing with projects with no money and no jackpot for finding a solution we are getting nowhere.

• Like Like x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think there is confusion about brain plasticity and what it means. Plasticity just means "able to change its configuration". See https://www.brainhq.com/brain-resources/brain-plasticity/what-is-brain-plasticity/ for more info.

It can change for the better or, in some cases, for the worse. When the latter happens, the result of the plasticity can be a hyperactive neuronal region that ends up being a perception of sound where there isn't.

Habituation is orthogonal to plasticity, if there is a definition of habituation at all that people can agree to to begin with. I feel habituated, but that's not a good outcome for me - which is not how many people view habituation.

Please take the time to dig more into Tinnitus and various studies. There is much to learn. In particular, you would benefit from watching Susan Shore's presentation on bi-modal stimulation. It'll clear things up for you with regards to that particular type of T.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Would really like people to post what their knowledge is before they post and if they have a science background or post links to their claims.

Really makes it difficult to learn anything new.

I’m confused now, does brain plasticity contribute to tinnitus or not?

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Very well said.

7. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Perhaps you should send this information and any back-up studies to Dr. Rauschecker. You could save him a lot of valuable time and resources.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @ChrisBoyMonkey Thank you for your service.

Cause of Tinnitus: U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran.

I was in the military 1966-70. I was a firefighter. We were on the flight line and was never given hear protection.

Were you supplied ear protection?

• Like Like x 3
    9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I like to look at it away from the FDA! The 'F' does not stand for fast. Whatever country offers it I'm there!

10. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is some research articles done on the subject linking tinnitus to cochlear neuropathy:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3921399/

https://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/20q-cochlear-synaptopathy-interrupting-communication-20946

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378595516302507

There are others I looked into, but I am currently using my cell phone inside a mHBOT chamber, so that's not the best/most comfortable way to look at and for research xD.

11. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks! I don't understand how this refutes the gating mechanism though.

12. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve never thought about habituation being a physiological process. I’m not sure what to make of that. Interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It strongly correlates hearing loss related tinnitus to cochlear peripheral neuropathy as well as regular hearing loss (without tinnitus) to stereocilia damage/death without associated neuropathy.

Meanwhile there is no existing research whatsoever which proves or promotes the "gating mechanism" theory. If there is some, I would be very interested in reviewing/reading such research.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you for your service too, Ken219. I was supplied ear protection but it was the knowingly defective 3M earplugs. I'm trying to get my documents ready for a claim and will try to join the lawsuit.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      The fact that is was knowingly defective from 2003-2015 and if it wasn't for a whistleblower they'd still be selling the defective ear plugs. 3M should never have a military contract.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Agreed. It's a shame that the DoD already sued then yet has not given any of it to the service members, and instead we have to do our own lawsuit. I'm hoping the DoD at least uses it to fund more research like Dr. Tzounopoulos' work.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Settlement?

'3M agreed to pay $9.1 million to the government.'

Government did you no favours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I know, that's why there is a veteran lawsuit going on too, I'm going to join it.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Is a HBOT chamber loud? I have read there are several types of chambers; what kind of chamber is it? Has it helped your hearing?

21. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      My dad, who’s smart and cantankerous... said “son you ain’t gonna see squat till 2008”

He’s probably not too far off the mark...

22. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did he mean 3008?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    23. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeahhh... sadly, your numbers are spot on.
      Actually 2028... but I am reconciled to the pain... freak it.

24. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Imagine getting this in 1928. We are some lucky SOB's that we have a chance.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The troops coming back from WW1 and WW2 were just called shell shocked, poor souls. Life is cruel... we need to fight and have gratitude for so much, especially the science that’s coming. Even if doesn’t help us at least the young ones won’t have to suffer.
      I am not selfish, let’s hope for the best Rb86.

• Like Like x 1