Decaffeinated Coffee — Effect on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by William Johnson, Oct 21, 2019.

1. William Johnson

William Johnson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      Does decaf coffee help cut back on the tinnitus noise?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. addot

addot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, in the sense that it doesn't spike tinnitus, unlike regular coffee. Caffeine is the main culprit here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I always thought so and drank decaf exclusively. Turns out it didn't make much difference for me one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
    4. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I agree. I haven't experienced a change in tinnitus/tinnitus tones with decaf coffee. I have cut down on consumption though mostly because I don't have the money to buy it these days.

Imho, decaf probably doesn't have enough caffeine to affect tinnitus but I am only guessing and offering my personal experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      Caffeine doesn't effect me whatsoever.I really wonder why some people get spike's so easily, vs other's that don't.

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've never noticed any change in my tinnitus due to diet. I've tried to cut down on many different things (salt, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, etc) and it has made zero difference. YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. addot

addot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      For what it's worth, coffee does affect my tinnitus, but not so much that it becomes unbearable. It also affects my H and this bothers me more, though the increase in sensitivity is also slight.

After my T became worse a couple years ago, I quit coffee cold turkey and switched to decaf. Lately, I've been slowly reintroducing coffee to my routine, and the effects have been largely positive. I do not drink it daily, only when I need a little pick me up. One major positive I hadn't really considered is that it significantly improves my mood and helps with my depression.

I can't say what will or won't work for you, but if you're like me and stopped drinking caffeine for fear that it would drive your T nuts, I encourage you to at least try it again for a few days. Living with T means constantly weighing the pros and cons and adjusting to things that seem trivial to others (coffee, changes in diet, going to that loud restaurant/movie theater, etc). I was afraid the cons of coffee would far outweigh the pros in my case. I was scared of even trying it again, to be honest, but when I did I found out it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I still alternate between regular and decaf though.

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Decaf is not good for you because the decaffeination process involves soaking and washing for hours with chemical solvents to remove the caffeine. At that point, caffeine is the least of your worries.

• Informative Informative x 2
    9. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Erik, you can drink water processed de-caf and not worry about all those chemicals. I was reading another post of yours, and you talk about using 5-HTP. How much do you take and what brand? I have been taking Jarrow, but their lowest dose and I do think it helps. I have never taken an anti-depressant, but have often thought I need one since my tinnitus started in 2007. If I try to drink regular coffee, it makes my heart race.

• Hug Hug x 1