Dentist without the Ultrasonic Scaler?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I haven't been to the dentist in years and need to go.

I don’t think I have any cavities just lots and lots of plauqe to scrap off.

However I know the ultrasonic scaler is loud and high pitched so if I ask would a dentist just do manual slower scraping instead?

I tried picking some off with my finger nail and it’s on there hard. Or is it gonna be something when where I get there they say nah I tried but it’s too hard to scrape off I need to use the ultrasonic?

2. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You can just ask for a hand cleaning instead. This is not loud at all, and will take off the plaque just fine. You might just need a few cleanings instead of just one. If they say they don’t do it, then find a dentist that will accommodate you.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      There are some YouTube ideas for cleaning without the Dentist if you search there.

4. Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Karl28 Just tell them your concerns and they will use the manual scaler. It takes them a little longer but it should be no big deal. Hope it goes well!

5. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I had this done, it was high pitched especially when they went to back of my mouth. The dentist was so lovely and stopped when I asked her to which I really appreciated. It took a bit longer than it should because of this but it wasn’t that bad of an experience, I never had a spike afterwards.

6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I asked the dental hygienist to do it manually the last time I was there, and will do so next week when I return. They don't use the ultrasonic scaler for people with pacemakers, either.

7. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I had old fashioned scraping tool yesterday. No problems. Just as effective. This is how they used to do it before they invented the ultrasonic descaler which can affect hearing.

8. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I had a dentist appointment today. And my dentist told me I should do the suprasonic scaling (not sure what the term in English is, but he told me it's suprasonic and not ultrasonic), because I already have a little plaque and if it keeps building up, the gums could recede (if I understood correctly).
      I refused to do this scaling in the last five years because the last time I did it, it seriously messed with my tinnitus for about two weeks and I am scared if could worsen them permanently.

But apparently I really need to do this scaling now. I asked my dentist if there were other methods but he said no, that he has to use the suprasonic tool… Is it common that dentists do that manually? I might need to switch to another dentist…

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Julien87

Sorry to hear about your situation. Plaque needs to be removed otherwise it will get progressively worse and lead to gum problems as your dentist has said. I also had plaque problems and my dentist suggested his dental hygienist remove the plague. She done this using a tool similar to the dentist drill but don't know the name. Thankfully it didn't bother me.

I hope you are able to get the plaque removed manually or find a dentist/hygienist that can remove it using a tool that will not cause you any problems.

I no longer have any plague after following the advice of my dentist which has helped me immensely and hope the following suggestions help you. I floss by teeth using dentek floss sticks and bought a Waterpik device from Amazon. Use them daily and your plague will soon be gone. Please click on the links below for more information. Go to YouTube and type: Waterpik to see how it works.

Best of luck and take care
      Michael

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DenTek-C...755780?hash=item2ce94ddf44:g:s10AAOSwDJlcuDoH

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterpik-W...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

• Like Like x 1
    10. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Good evening @Michael Leigh , sorry for my late reply, I did not see your message. Thanks a lot for your advice, I will try to find a professional who can do this.

I bought some floss recently and I am trying to make it a habit :)

I will look up the Waterpik thing, thanks!

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI Julien,

No problem. Buy the dentek floss picks they are so easy to use rather than using conventional floss that you use with both hands which can be a real pain. Also, buy the Waterpik and use it twice a day and I assure you your plaque will soon be gone and you won't have any more problems. Once you start using the denteks, Waterpik and brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush, OralB is an excellent make, you will realise how clean and fresh your teeth gums and mouth will feel with all the plaque and food deposits that you once left behind in your mouth are now gone!

Go to YouTube and type in Waterpik to see how it works.
      Take care

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      You are right, denteks will really be more convenient.
      The Waterpik machine looks very interesting, I will definitely consider buying it.

Thanks a lot, and take care too :)

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Julien87

Julien, please do not consider just buy the Waterpik If you want to get rid of your plaque for good, then you have to do this: Floss with Dentek picks, Waterpik, then brush using electric toothbrush preferably with OralB/Braun which is good brand. If you don't use the Waterpik then you wont get rid of the plaque, similarly, you have to floss the teeth regularly too and I found Dentek the best for this. In less than 3 months my plaque was completely gone and my dentist was very surprised and said he has never seen such quick results.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Julien87

The Waterpik can be noisy as it uses a small internal pump. My ears are not sensitive and I don't have hyperacusis. If you are sensitive to sound then use Noise reducing earplugs. I bought Waterpik Ultra WP660 which has a large water container and is electric powered. Don't buy the battery operated Waterpik, as it's waste of time and money.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi @Michael Leigh
      Thank you. I had a look at the Waterpik product on Amazon France, and although it has a good overall rating, the recent ratings are very bad (please find a screenshot below), and the users complain that the product only works properly for a few months. So I wonder if they started sending dysfonctional products that they could not sell elsewhere.. this is weird.

psxa.png

https://www.amazon.fr/Waterpik-WP-660EU-Dentaire-Hydropulseur-Professional/dp/B073WGYSF9/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2820375BPAB59&dchild=1&keywords=waterpik&qid=1596438362&sprefix=waterpik,aps,364&sr=8-5

So I think I will try buying it elsewhere or will look for an other water flosser. Why do you recommend not buying the battery version by the way? Thank you

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Julien87

Unfortunately I can't speak or understand French but thanks for the reviews. I bought my Waterpik from Amazon UK and after 2 months it stopped working. However, the Waterpik has a 2 years warranty as long as you register it at the company website, which I had done immediately when I received it. I telephoned Waterpik UK and told them mine had stopped working - they sent me a new one in the post and I have had no problems so far and use it twice a day.

I would always buy a product from a large distributor like Amazon, instead of a small micky-mouse company that might give me aggravation should problems arise.

Set the Waterpik at a low setting to start with and gradually increase the pressure over time. You will be surprised at the amount of food and plaque it removes between your teeth and gums. Some people believe you don't need to floss if using the Waterpik, unfortunately this is not true in my opinion. When you use the Denteks to floss then you'll see what I mean as it totally removes the gummy plaque that looks like a white slimy residue that Waterpik and brushing alone cannot remove.

I assure you that you won't have anymore plague problems after 3 months as long as you stick to this regime twice a day. You'll probably have less dental fillings and hopefully won't have to have extractions and save money on dental fees! I have had no problems with my teeth during the lock-down (touch wood) unlike a lot of people I know that have wanted to visit the dentist but have been unable to.

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Julien87

I bought the battery Waterpik and the water container is just too small and doesn't give enough time to thoroughly clean between the teeth. You will have to constantly keep filling it up and it doesn't have the power like the electric version. I know using electric in the bathroom one has to be careful. I have a dedicated power point known as a shaver socket in my bathroom so it's safe. Some people don't have this and therefore, might choose to use an electric extension lead plugged into a wall socket outside of the bathroom and run this into the bathroom and plug the Waterpik into it. Please do not do this! If you don't have a power point in your bathroom then you might have to use the battery version.

Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    18. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I understand, thank you very much Michael :)

Regarding the Waterpik warranty, that is good to know, thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I bought (and started to use) DenTeks and I just ordered a Waterpik. However I chose the portable version because I often go abroad (and there was a nice discount).

But it will probably not be enough to remove all the plaque efficiently and my dentist will certainly talk to me into doing ultrasonic scaling. I will ask him again to try to do it manually, and if he can't I will probably look to have it done at another professional.

However, I am wondering. Could I consider having the ultrasonic scaling done while wearing ear protection? I have read it is not recommended for some dental procedures. But what about the scaling/plaque removal?

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Julien87

Good that you bought the Denteks and the Waterpik. Use them regularly and hopefully you'll be free of plaque within 3 months as I was. Just think about all that money you're going to save on future dental and plaque removal treatment. Now, I think I deserve a commission for putting you on the right track....lol:D

Take care
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Does anyone have thoughts on this? Thank you.

22. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Bump.

I called many dentists today and did not manage to find one who offers manual tartar removal care. Does anyone know if it's better to wear ear protection during ultrasonic scaling? I consider doing it now... I don't want to lose my teeth :confused:

Thank you.

23. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Mon Ami! I have had both done. It does not affect tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi @bobvann.

Thank you for your reply. Did you wear hearing protection? Or did you mean with and without hearing protection when you said "both"?

25. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      No protection. They have a TV with wireless ear buds. I wore them at a really low volume and it did not cause spike. Or I will read the captions.

Both = Manual & ultrasonic. My wife works at that office...

• Like Like x 1
    26. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Alright, thank you Bob. Never seen a TV in any dentist cabinet, must be a US thing :D

27. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi again @Michael Leigh,

I use the Waterpik every evening to avoid plaque buildup. I am not sure I use it properly though, because Waterpik explains that you should put the nozzle right against the teeth/gum, and my dentist tells me it is dangerous if I put it close to the gum... so I try not to put it right against the gum. Other than that I am happy with it. Easy to use and not unpleasant.

By the way, I was wondering, are you supposed to water floss the back of the teeth too? Or is it sufficient if you "shoot" water from the front only?

I also use Denteks regularly (only when I eat something that may stuck between the teeth, though).

And, I finally found a dentist that can do manual scaling. My appointment is only next month though, but that is a real relief I found one.

Cheers,
      Julien

28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Julien87

I will be brief and say your Dentist is wrong. I have used Waterpik twice a day for 6 years in the way they advised, between teeth and along the gums at power level 6 to 10 with no adverse effects. If you're not using it this way then you are not removing the plaque. Use a power level that you're comfortable with.

Take care and all the best.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    29. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      First stage of plaque removal is to use dentek floss sticks. Then start at the back of the teeth with the Waterpik - work along the outside between each tooth and along the gum line. Then do same along the inside. Do the same along the top row of teeth. When you have finished and you have brushed your teeth, they should feel scrupulously clean much more than when you brush your teeth alone without using Waterpik. If you don't notice the difference then you're not using the Waterpik correctly.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    30. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Thanks a lot Michael, I'll follow your advice.

• Like Like x 1