Diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in September

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joe_PAguy, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Joe_PAguy

Joe_PAguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meniere's disease
      I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease in Sept. I went to my ENT with a respiratory infection and what I thought was a clogged ear.

My ENT ran tests including an MRI and 3 hearing tests. At that time I had no other symptoms but a clogged ear. He prescribed a water pill and a vitamin supplement.

The tinnitus started 3 weeks ago and was intermittent, but is now a steady hum that varies in loudness. I have the ear fullness at times, but that too seems to come and go. Salt intake in my diet seems to affect the intensity of the tinnitus, so I have cut all sodium from my diet. Ditto with caffeine.
      I do not have any of the vertigo symptoms for now. I am going for a second opinion, but the Dr can't see me for another two weeks.

Since I don't have the vertigo, I'm wondering if steroid injections could help. Perhaps since this started when I had a bad cold, that it is viral. And thoughts and similar experiences would be appreciated. I'm quite sad and scared.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Menieres is usually diagnosed over a few years as symptoms don't all come together and also after tests.
      So you might not have it but time will tell.
      Symptoms _
      Motion sickness
      Bouncy vission
      Dizziness
      Vertigo
      Tinnitus
      Ear pressure
      Brain fog
      Hearing loss
      Poor concentration
      Sick
      Drop attacks

Menieres can not be cured but meds like-
      Buccastem
      Betahistine
      Proclorperazine
      Cinnarazine 15mg
      Can help control symptoms
      Love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Codaz

Codaz Member

How did they diagnose you with meniere if there is no vertigo yet?

4. robmrob51

robmrob51 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Menierre’s Disease
      I do not have vertigo either. I just have a horribly clogged ear with pressure and constant tinnitus. It all started out of the blue in March. Finally went to an ENT and he diagnosed Ménières. I had 50% hearing loss in the affected ear. Very discouraging! I was surprised and thankful I don’t have vertigo.
      I am taking a water pill and adjusting my diet but that’s it. It’s not really helping.

5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @robmrob51 A friend of mine had Meniere's disease with jet-engine level tinnitus for years. He has now recovered to the point where he can comfortably go to rock concerts with earplugs.

He attributes his recovery almost entirely to diet and exercise.

I wish you well with your recovery.

• Like Like x 1