Do Custom Moulded Earplugs Spike Tinnitus Less Than Foam Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Poseidon65, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Currently I use foam earplugs in an environment which could get noisy. For example, right now I am wearing foam earplugs when I'm around my 2-year-old child.

As I think many of us have found, wearing foam earplugs causes my tinnitus to spike tremendously. Normally my tinnitus is mild to moderate for example, but with the foam earplugs in, it sounds screaming loud.

My foam earplugs have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33 dB. Truthfully this is overkill for me. I'm wondering whether a pair of custom ear plugs with a lower (but still sufficient) NRR would cause my tinnitus to spike less.

Does anyone have experience with both foam plugs and custom plugs? If so, what can you say about the amount of spiking with each type?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, earplugs are certainly trial and error for each person. After 3 years of having tinnitus, I have tried countless varieties and have found uses for different situations.

I have found that custom earplugs provide more consistent protection than foam earplugs, but if used correctly and changed often, foam earplugs probably gives slightly better decibel protection.

Custom earplugs are excellent if you need guaranteed protection in a potentially loud situation. The key for custom earplugs is using a gel that custom providers sell that seals the opening around your ear to the ear plug. The advantage of custom earplugs is that they don’t irritate the ear canal like foam earplugs can.

Custom earplugs cost 200-300, but they last a long time.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Poseidon65

My advice to you is to use earplugs with caution and not to become too reliant upon them, as you risk making your ears and auditory system more sensitive to sound. The answer is to try and reduce your over sensitivity to sound which is hyperacusis caused by your exposure to loud sound. Self help can help but you may need professional help if things don't improve. Please click on the link below and read my post titled: Hyperacusis, As I see it. You may find posts in the additional links helpful too.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

• Like Like x 1
    4. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'm around young kids, but I prefer to wear ear muffs. I don't like ear plugs at all as I feel they may lead to compacted wax, so I just have the muffs around my neck at all times and just whip them on when needed.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have tried both and notice no difference between foam earplugs or custom earplugs. The noise reduction for custom earplugs is lower, though.