Do Earmuffs Cause Occlusion Effect? Hitting the Cups? Scared!

Discussion in 'Support' started by LisaCuddy, Dec 23, 2017.

?

Have you hit your earmuffs before with a ring, keychain, your hands etc?

1. Yes, often.

2. Yes, a few times.

3. No, never.

4. Can't really say I paid attention to this.

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. LisaCuddy

LisaCuddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ and Stress
      Good evening to you,

I was wondering if earmuffs cause an occlusion effect like earplugs do? After all, there is much more space between them and the actual ear canal, and I cant find an answer online?

I am very scared because of something that happened to me today. I was wearing earmuffs when entering a shop because they had some balloons on display and I know better than not to avoid those menaces. Wehen I finished my shopping and went back to the car, I went to take my earmuffs off but somehow I managed to hit one cup with my wedding band! It made a clunky type noise and it SCARED the shit out of me. I was already having a spike bc of the stress from Christmas shopping and the ballons (and little kids running around trying to pop them!) so I don't know if this caused any problem? I am so scared of it. How loud can it be? Does the Occlusion effect apply, even if I wear glasses and thus there's not 100% tight seal? I feel so stupid! I am always very careful but I had never thought my wedding band could pose a threat. I feel stupid and desperate.

Has this happened to anyone here already?
      Is there something beside steroids I could take which really helps?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My Ts pretty bad and I bump stuff into my muffs (accidentally of course) more regularly than I'd like to, but it's usually not an issue because the noise is over so quickly. The worst was when I smacked the right side with a 50lb dumbell while I was curling at the gym (ouch), but I don't believe it did any real damage. You should be fine.

-Ross

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      it happens and it's scary but any spike i've noticed is from the stress not from the sound

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That's not the same as the occlusion effect. You may get some minor effect from earmuffs, but it's not nearly as bad as the occlusion effect you get with earplugs.

As for the clunking sound, it's disconcerting, but I don't think it's anywhere near being dangerously loud.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I made a thread on this two weeks ago, most of the time I wear my muffs for hoovering I manage to hit a wall or something and it makes that clunk, I don't think it's loud or long enough to cause any damage though.

6. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I've done this a few times but honestly it has never felt that loud. My ears respond much less to blunt type noises and far, far more to high-pitched ones.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      This is unrelated to the occlusion effect.
      I wouldn't worry about it.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are doing the right thing when you wear muffs in those environments where you might be exposed to loud noises. If you are worried about the cups of the muffs being hit with anything, you could wear ear plugs underneath your muffs.

This Had happened to me recently. I hit the ear muff cup on the side of the car, as I was getting into the car. It was loud. It scared me. I had a spike but it didn't last long.

One person shared with me that he had accidentally touched a shaver that was on to the cup. It was loud, but didn't cause any permanent damage.

Try to be careful and not do that again. And don't worry about it causing any lasting damage. It ought to be ok.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      this just happened to me when getting out of the car and I dont know if am spiking or not but T has been so awful lately though I did notice something 30 minutes after the incident

10. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I put my sound meter inside the cup and knocked against the cup with a key. I was able to get a 107 dB decibels with a moderate force so it can in fact be pretty loud.

Amazing though you can get a 100 dB by squeezing a plastic water bottle if you put the meter close by.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Yeah, but is it actually 100 dB? I've heard a balloon popping can get up to 160 dB for a fraction of a second. Curious how we can't just hear balloons popping at Riley's birthday party, two neighborhoods away.

12. Eric N

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's a good question. Are decibels equal no matter the source? Or is there something else that make some more dangerous. Balloons are very dangerous I remember popping them as a kid and they used to make my ears ring of course I didn't know about the dangers at the time

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A year or so ago, someone had pointed out that when two sounds are at the same volume (measured in dB), the one that is higher pitched carries more energy. I am not really sure what to make of it.

14. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I certainly hope not... I had one popped about 3 feet from me last sat. I've haven't had a spike from it, just regular 'ol shit T.

15. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      All the ear Muffs will make loud sounds when hit Except the peltor x5a

You won't win the fashion award with these on though

I use those for. Airplanes, commuting and gym and loud restaurants when looks isn't an issue

16. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Noticed it seems quite loud for sure. There are handy men in the house using loud power drills and so I put on some earmuffs. My cell phone rang a few minutes ago and I got sidetracked in the moment, so I forgot I still had the earmuffs on - banged the cell phone right into the earmuff cup. Surely such an event wouldn't be 120+ db or enough to cause any damage?

17. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      After whacking my left earmuff today against the pantry door, I got a muffled ear and a tinnitus spike. Reproducing the event with my calibrated SPL meter placed in the muff showed about 94 dBC. Not happy at all. This was louder than anything else I had managed to hit my muffs against in the past 12 months (and I hit them inadvertently probably about 18-20 times).

• Agree Agree x 1