Do I Have a PLF (Perilymph Fistula)? — Change in Tinnitus Tone After Banging My Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by OWAIN MARTIN, Sep 25, 2021.

1. OWAIN MARTIN

OWAIN MARTIN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Trauma
      Hello, I am new to this site.

I have had high-pitched tinnitus in my left ear for 28 years following an ear trauma caused by a diving accident. In that time I have adapted to it to the point that it never bothered me at all. At times the tone of my tinnitus drops from the high pitch to a low dull tone which lasts a few seconds then the high pitch returns. It has done this for years.

The other day I banged my forehead on my living room door pretty hard and my tinnitus briefly changed tone from the high pitch to a dull low pitch for a couple seconds, and then went back. Is there any reason for this I'm wondering? Since then I have become obsessed with my tinnitus to the point I am actively noticing it and I can't sleep.

Basically I am worried that I may have done some further damage like giving myself a perilymph fistula (PLF) and have become totally obsessed with this idea that I am having panic attacks about it.

Just wondering if anyone has any input or knowledge on this for me? I have very little hearing in my left ear due to Mumps when I was a child and also suffer from PPPD which leaves me feeling dizzy and off balance all the time both of which are similar to PLF symptoms so it's possible I would not feel any different if I had a new PLF.

Or if I had caused a new PLF, would I definitely be able to notice a difference in how I feel?

I have done the targus pressure test. It's fine. The Valsalva maneuver does not make me feel any worse. Bending over, coughing, blowing my nose do not cause further feeling of vertigo or dizziness. Would these not make me feel worse if I had a PLF?

I am hoping for some advice that will hopefully put my mind at rest.

Thanks,
      Owain

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Owain,

I think it's best to see an ENT for an examination of your ear and auditory system. This is the ENT's area of expertise. Once you are examined you will know exactly where you're at and hopefully feel a lot better without the stress.

Best of luck,
      Michael

3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

If your tinnitus has changed in this manner periodically for years, why does the change occurring after hitting your head concern you more? As of now, if it is still behaving as it has all these years, I wouldn’t be overly concerned.

Quite some time ago I slipped on a carpeted staircase and banged the back of my head. Afterwards my main tinnitus sound took on a new character for a day or so. It changed to a higher pitch and had a CD disc changer skipping sound added to it. I was concerned at first, but when it went away it never returned.

With you saying it occurs just for a few seconds, it sounds like maybe fleeting tinnitus, which is fairly common. Hitting your head leading to a fleeting episode wouldn’t be surprising really.

Does your hearing drop out slightly with the brief tone change? Normally mine drops for just a second, then I have slightly louder and “fuller” sounding tinnitus build for a few seconds then it’s gone.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      No.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OWAIN MARTIN

OWAIN MARTIN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Trauma
      Hi @Matchbox, would you mind expanding on that a little? "No" is a bit brief.

When I hit my head, the change was very brief, lasting a couple of seconds, then I felt just like I always have, no noticeable difference in my dizziness symptoms which I have 24/7 as I have PPPD.

Would I have noticed any immediate differences if I had given myself a PLF?

Thanks.

6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You need to do your own research a bit, basically you'd probably be dizzy and deaf or at least lose hearing time to time with the new tinnitus on exertion.

It's also unlikely it wouldn't heal after this much time.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I am 9 months in and still trying to figure out if I have a PLF. If you're not getting headaches and dizzy with straining or bending over and your head feeling like crap and full all the time, no way you have one. And head trauma is known to cause a PLF but that is hard head trauma, like car accident type.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OWAIN MARTIN

OWAIN MARTIN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Trauma
      So does it need to be a pretty hard hit to the head to cause a PLF?

All the literature out there is very vague just saying head trauma - even mild head trauma - can cause a PLF, but no real clarification on what constitutes a mild head trauma. I hit my forehead on the door pretty hard but no visible damage occurred i.e. no bruising or pain afterwards. The only thing was the fleeting change in tinnitus tone. Now I seem to be convincing myself I have a PLF as I suffer from really bad health anxiety.

9. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes pretty hard. Sure it "could happen" but you'd have vertigo and hearing loss on exerting yourself.

10. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah I mean it’s possible, but extremely unlikely. Like I said if you have vertigo/hearing loss in that ear, dizziness, bad head pressure, trouble bending over or straining then it could be. Either way if you are convinced you have it, rest up and it heals for most people. Sleep with your head elevated, no bending over, no working out, no straining, sneeze and cough with mouth open, away from other people obviously, don’t do anything that increases pressure. Do this for 2 weeks and see how you feel.