Do I Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 6tarme, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      Hi... I am a 23 year old musician who has been mixing his music at loud volumes for a long time now.

A few weeks ago my left ear started aching and I have a swollen red bump that almost looks like a pimple in it.

It subsided a bit so I went back to mixing at what I presume was too loud in my headphones and I've developed a hiss in my left ear that has been constant for 3 days now.

I also feel semi painful aches in that ear when I swallow too hard or burp. I already suffer from daily chronic migraines and if what I'm reading is true and tinnitus is for life , I don't know what I'm to do. My dreams are to be a artist , and performing with loud music blaring is part of that lifestyle...

Is there any chance this hissing will go away? I plan to see a doctor on Monday.

Thanks... I'm quite discouraged right now having suffered from 24/7 intense chronic migraines for four years and now this...

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes there is, but you need to stay away from loud noise to increase your chances.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You need to be careful of being around loud sounds. If you don't change your ways then your music career could end before its started and I'm not kidding. Click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus. If you use headphones I advise you to stop using them for a while and if possible never use them again.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Your ears have taken abuse from the loud volumes. Your hissing is what usually starts out with tinnitus. The more you continue to listen to loud music, the more of a chance that...it(tinnitus) can get louder. Our ears are very sensitive and loud music does take a toll on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      I see, I will take a break from mixing music on headphones the last thing I want is this. I've been naive to think loud music wouldn't harm my ears, This comes at a terrible time for me since I've just started to have music industry connections and label interest but I will do my best to show restraint .. Just praying it goes away soon.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I don't want to frighten you but just want to give you a little more advice. Listen to what @fishbone and I have told you and act upon it and read the articles in the links I have sent you. If you take care now, you could save yourself a lot of heartache in years to come.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I agree 100%! Your ears can get worst and then it can be a alot harder and LOUDER. We don't get many chances with our ears, once they are abused and damaged. If I only had a site like this 30 years ago, to be mentored. If I did, then my volume would be cut in half....

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      I
      I read them and I understand , the hissing is noticable but it's not effecting my sleep or anything so I'm hopeful it will go away in time. I will be using my monitors at low volume to finalize my music instead Of headphones for s long time. Is it bad to have headphones on at any volume? If I let my ears rest for a few months then use headphones at a low volume to record will I be damaging more?

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Since you have read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, you would have read my piece on headphone use? If I were you, I would never use headphones again. It is true some people with tinnitus use headphones without any problems. However, it is something I don't advise. Give the headphones a rest for a few months. Then, if you want to resume using them but keep the volume low. At the first sign of hissing or increase in your tinnitus stop using them. I advise you to use "sound enrichment" using a sound machine at night as I've advised in my article.

I wish you well
      Michael

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      Yes sir ,I read it just a little desperate I guess because you can't record music without headphones. Such a cryptic response truly frightens me, thanks for all of the insight though. I'll just keep my mind off it. Thankyou

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You're welcome. I am a HI-FI enthusiast and used to listen to music through high quality headphones which eventually gave me tinnitus. That was 2o years ago and haven't used headphones since. Take things slowly and when you monitor /mixing music using speakers try not to turn up the volume too loud.

Best of luck
      Michael

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      Its been about 4-5 days now, and it's barely there. I think it's subsiding already , I still hear a faint ring but it seems to be going away.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is good news. Take things slowly and don't rock the boat. I advise you to stay away from headphones for a least a month two would be better. When you resume keep the volume low. Read my articles and follow the advise.

Take things slowly.
      Best of luck.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      6tarme

6tarme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio
      Happy to say it's been completely gone the past few days. I will keep tinnitus in mind at all times now and not take this silence for granted.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Pleased to hear your good news. Just be careful and take things slowly...
      Good luck
      Michael