Do We Understand How Benzos Affect Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Oct 5, 2020.

1. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Hello everyone

I was wondering, if anyone here has or is still on xanax everyday, and did it cause or increase your tinnitus ? If so, after you stopped it did your tinnitus go back to your normal baseline ?

Thank You

Louie
      Quietatnight

2. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      My limited experience with benzos off and on is, when coming off of them, it takes a few weeks for any spikes to go away.

This is me using it once a week, certainly not everyday. I'd imagine the time scale is onwards of a year for improvement if benzos were used everyday for more than a couple of months.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Last month I only took Xanax once, before that it was every 1-2 weeks - I was forced to take it yesterday after a crazy spike. For me at least there is no rebound spike, but of course I worry about long term effects on GABA if I were to use it more often.

4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Interesting, I totally have rebound thumping and it seems to die off as time goes on.

Of course it might be 110% unrelated.

5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I began taking Clonazepam about a month after tinnitus onset in July 2019 as a sleep aid. It also improved the volume level of my tinnitus for quite some time and helped with my hyperacusis early on.

My tinnitus & hyperacusis have improved over the course of time. The benzo no longer seemed to be having any positive effect so I began a daily micro taper of a few thousandths (sometimes more) of a gram on January 7th, 2021. Just shaving the pills down with a large nail file and weighing them on a postal scale I’ve now been completely off for close to a week.

I haven’t had any major issues. A little bit of heightened tinnitus periodically during the taper. My tinnitus fluctuates regularly though so can’t say for certain if it was related to the taper or just the nature of the beast. I had some profuse sweating on occasion and a few restless nights. My hyperacusis seems heightened the past three days. But again could just be something has aggravated it. As of now a very minor setback. It’s improved already as of today.

My tinnitus at onset was probably 7/10. After other medications attempted for sleep went to 10/10. Now, it fluctuates from 1-3/10 with brief periods of “silence”. Meaning that it’s there, but imperceptible without earmuffs on.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      How are you doing now? Great to hear a recovery story.

7. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

The 2nd dose of Pfizer has caused me pretty bad issues with hyperacusis. Tinnitus is pretty much the same level since getting off Clonazepam. Maybe a little “busier” as in multiple tones at kind of the same volume instead of my normal main tone sticking out, but still low.

Having other issues like feeling extremely fatigued, photophobia seems worse, tingling sensations in my face and hands and numbness in a few places periodically. Hoping it will clear up eventually.

I think all my issues are most likely from the vaxx as I got the shot on the 5th of May and all these issues started on the 6th.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      I wonder if anyone who has taken benzos for tinnitus at a certain level for an extended period, say, 6-12 months, and, following a taper, has found that their tinnitus is no longer there - or, at least, that the volume has significantly decreased.

9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I'm now completely recovered from the setback after the second dose of Pfizer. I would in fact say I've even improved somewhat beyond where I was before I got the second shot at this point. More periods of "silence", my reactive tinnitus seems less reactive, hyperacusis making my ears tense up less and getting less numb achiness in my jaw and face.

• Like Like x 3
    10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have a question for you. What did Lamictal do for you after taking Clonazepam for so long?

For me it was stimulating but I also have dysautonomia, so I don't know if that would happen in normal people.

11. Kenilworth

Kenilworth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My tinnitus was fine for the past 5 years.

Then I took a benzo (alprazolam) for the first time in January this year for stress. Doctor gave me 30 tabs (0.25 mg), which I took occasionally or only when I need it within 3 months.

My tinnitus has changed since, especially after I stopped taking them.

At first, before I took the benzo, my tinnitus could/would automatically go in the background no matter how loud it was but now it's always in my consciousness. I never tapered off the benzo as I did not know I had to.

I've been 5 months off them and my tinnitus is still weird and constantly loud. I never knew taking only 30 pills at lowest dose used occasionally can cause a big spike that's just never ending. I'm so sad.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I have used benzodiazepines long term, even before tinnitus. It is really difficult for me to see them as a good solution for tinnitus, especially as a long term solution. Maybe they could work for a short period of time to bring relief if the tinnitus is destroying sleep, causing unbearable anxiety etc. But in the long term they can cause their own issues and can lose their positive effect/cause tolerance. Benzo dependency can begin relatively fast when benzos are used every day.

I have experienced benzo tolerance, harmful effects of them and withdrawal. And I have tried to taper off them. It has been a nightmare sometimes. Nowadays I use only a tiny dose. I am planning to stop some day. Easier said than done though. I know not everyone gets as much harm as I. But still there are risks.

I know benzo withdrawal can also trigger tinnitus and sensitivity to sound etc. (For example Ashton Manual talks about this). What is worst, benzo withdrawal symptoms can be long lasting/protracted. I wouldn't be surprised if benzos made the tinnitus problem even worse in the long run in some cases. And tinnitus isn't the only harmful effect or withdrawal symptom, some symptoms can be really disabling. Careful slow taper after long term use can be lifesaving and make the withdrawal more tolerable. I have microtapered.

If someone is having issues with benzos or withdrawal I recommend reading Ashton Manual (written by professor Heather Ashton). It's old but many ways it is still relevant:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Ashton-Manual.pdf

It has helped me during my benzo taper. I taper slower though than this manual suggests. I think the most important thing during benzo taper is to listen to the body.

Benzo withdrawal didn't trigger my tinnitus though. But withdrawal has caused sensitivity to sound. I have had to sleep earplugs in my ears during my benzo taper because every sound seem to bother me in silence.

My tinnitus started after loud noise exposure. Maybe the combination of benzo withdrawal (sensitivity to sound) and loud noise was the trigger. I am afraid that the fact I still taper benzos make healing from noise induced tinnitus more difficult.

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is similar to my story (existing tinnitus, history of benzo use, tinnitus worsened by acoustic trauma well after benzo withdrawal).

After a decade of messing with other ideas I went back on my original dose of Klonopin combined with a relatively low dose of Gabapentin, this did more to help with my tinnitus than anything else I had tried, and so far, almost 4 years later, that's been sustained.

We'll see where I am in another 10 years, should I live so long ;)

• Like Like x 1
    14. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      My doctor agreed to put me on benzo for life today, after 5 years of discussing it.
      Hopefully it will benefit me as much as you @linearb.
      My problem is more noxacusis though, but tinnitus is also a bitch.

Maybe I should throw Gabapentin into the mix as well.

I would think some kind of NMDA-receptor antagonist would prolong the onset of tolerance at least, but no one seems to know anything about it here in Norway . I don´t know if that is the reasoning for why you take it in combination with a benzo.

Gonna start with 5 mg Diazepam three times a day.

15. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good luck @grate_biff -- I like Klonopin for various reasons but certainly saw effect from Valium, ~15 mg was my PRN use a couple times a month for a couple years before I finally went back on daily.

There's a little research to suggest Gabapentin is helpful in conjunction. I will say I am obnoxiously dependent on the Gabapentin for sleep, and am trying to slowly dial it back on that for that reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am happy for you. You found a thing that worked for you and it has been helping you for a long time. That is great! :)

I am not saying that benzos don't work long term in any situation for tinnitus. But there are risks though (tolerance, interdose withdrawal etc). My own experience hasn't been as positive.

I couldn't see myself "going back" and reinstating bigger dose of benzos or returning to use benzos because after tolerance happened I felt like benzos have been doing more harm than good in my case. I don't know have they helped or have I just treated my dependency and avoided withdrawal when I have continued using them. And my benzo withdrawal has been brutal, even though things have been easier in the end part of the taper. Tapering hasn't been easy. Its been a lot of sleepless nights and worse anxiety during my taper.

Our stories have similarities. I didn't have a history of tinnitus before benzos though. I was prescribed them for insomnia/anxiety. Before my tinnitus started those things were almost resolved :( I thought I could just taper off and didn't need them anymore. I have been feeling better the less I use benzos. Better quality of life overall.

After my tinnitus started 3 weeks ago after loud noise exposure I have decided to take a break in my tapering. Tinnitus wrecked my sleep, which was really good before it, even when my dose is just really tiny. This situation sucks so badly. Tinnitus is also benzo withdrawal symptom. So I don't know does my acute tinnitus heal if this benzo withdrawal is making it worse or somehow preventing my healing because it's messing with GABA etc... Will this just get worse when I taper more... On the other hand, I did not have tinnitus while tapering so maybe there is hope this will heal. I dunno.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ouch @Sointu, getting blasted with a noise trauma during a taper is sort of the worst possible combination, at least I was a few years off during my trauma.

Holding at your current dose and seeing where things level out makes sense to me, do you take Magnesium or anything? Might be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope those meds work for you!
      Yes, noise trauma and benzo withdrawal is a terrible combination. I have felt really hopeless and scared how will I heal from this. And how much time will it take if I heal. :(

But I try to see hope. That my noise trauma will heal. I have had many difficult symptoms during benzo withdrawal (caused by tolerance) that have mostly healed. Even when I am still using these drugs and still tapering.

Yes, I use Magnesium. Maybe I could try using it daily in this situation for some time and see would it help.

I think the most important thing in this situation is try to learn to handle the stress this has caused and find ways to live with the new symptom. Stress has made this situation even worse. Hopefully when time passes this symptom gets easier too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @linearb, how much of a difference does the Gabapentin/Klonopin make to your tinnitus? I have read in a few places that it has made your tinnitus more livable.