Do You Believe in God/a Higher Power? Does Prayer Help You Cope?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      I do believe GOD will help in a way to find some solution through research and docs not directly

2. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

I've tried Faith. Was raised with it. However I am more a logical/ realistic thinker. IMO the end result is everything is random and we alone are responsible for our lives through our decisions. There is no God, at least the Christian one. Perhaps something out there but if so, not an interventionist God....then again, I know enough that I don't know...Can one answer this with absolute certainty? Not really..But after thousands of prayers and being a kind person, it didn't seem God as in Jesus was on my side.

However I've had some freaky paranormal experiences, as has my family. My grandmother and her sisters from Ireland were really into Fortune Telling and all that. Many of us seem to have a "6th sense" I don't know what this means but it's true.

3. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      The only two certainties in this world are death and taxes, or so the saying goes. To the extent that a God may exist - a fact I do not believe in - it seems to me for certain, however, that should a God exist, He made some rather poor choices (for a superior being). That much even I know - as a mere mortal.

"Tinnitus is a curse straight from Hell that somehow ended up in the realm of the living."
      --attheedgeofscience

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. mcgregor

mcgregor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Believing in a God is so illogical, for my way of thinking, to me it makes no rational sense.
      Its possible there's a Devil though, because I am living with one in my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Blackbird26

Blackbird26 Member

Actually there is no fact that God exists. It's all based on old manuscripts and Faith.

Ravi Zacharias would argue if you believe in evil, then you acknowledge there is good. " Moral law"

Nice qoute though.

6. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I do believe in God and I do pray. It does help me cope when times are tough.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I respect people's choice to believe or not. I mean, if the Democrats and the Republicans in the State, or the Liberals and Conservatives in Canada can't agree on a single issue as intelligent and grown men/women, what chance is there to agree on religion and God. LOL.

I believe a superior intelligence of the Universe exists. There is evidence of that intelligence and there are so many laws governing this universe, nature, and even in our human body. Take the ear and hearing. Sound travels in waves, which vibrate the ear drum, and then transmit that vibration through the inner ear through conduction of bones using some principle of hydraulics, then the inner hair cells vibrate based on the frequency of the sound waves using the principle of resonance in physics. Then through a series of electro-chemical processes the signals are transmitted in the brain for interpretation. That process is too deep to even cover here involving too much laws of physics and chemistry or whatever.

Take the eyes, to have vision the cells need to know light waves and photons needed to be converged to a single focus for sharpness. This process is using a law of physics in light called Refraction. When light passes through a curve convex surface, it can be bent and converged to a focus for sharp images. So some basic cells have to understand that to build a soft gel structure, our natural eye lens to do this job. Again the process where those receptor cells convert the light to electro-chemical signals to go through the nerve fibers and neurons are just too complicated to talk about here.

These are just some of the most basic of bodily functions which require very complex understanding of physical laws and chemistry. We are not even talking about the much more complex laws involved in the embryo and birth process, not to say the thinking or intellectual processes in our brain. I simply don't think millions of years of evolution from some protein molecules or basic cells can come up with all the wonders of nature and the universe. I mean do these basic cells made up of quartz, protons, electrons & neurons really have more intelligence than our brain to come up with this grand scheme of intelligence? I mean with all the seeming intelligence of men and their accumulated knowledge and powerful or precision machines such as this computer, we are far from achieving anything these basic cells can do. Think even deeper, if you were one of those basic cells, how on earth you and your tiny bit of existence made up of protons, neutrons, and wildly spinning/vibrating electrons or their sub-atomic particles such as quartz can have the intelligence to understand that there light and sound are made up of different kinds of waves and all the physical and electro-chemical laws to make them work in unison so we have hearing and vision?

I have to concede that there are simply something beyond human ability and beyond human comprehension. Even Einstein himself didn't rule out God nor Newton. But to each their own. After all, faith is to be lived to feel its reality. That is one thing people can't understand by mere logics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      But there are plenty here who didn't do this to themselves. In a sense the God thesis is easier to accept for those of us who have tinnitus through our own actions. It leaves the others out in the cold a bit though.

9. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      There are lots of 'gods'..... The truth is there is only one true God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, who sent His son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, so that we might have eternal life.

Believe on Jesus as your Lord and Savior (John 3:16)...that will be by far the greatest ever thing you can ever do.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. terry b

terry b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      counting the years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It happened
      Way worth mulling over:

http://godisimaginary.com

God/Jesus is just a form of admiration which can be equalled to being a massive fan of a pop star in modern times.....I respect those that believe but don't believe myself

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I like to believe in life after death and we go to a better place after death and sometimes God listens to our prayers.
      I'm not a bible basher but think there is a God and he loves us all ....lots of love Glynis

12. John G

John G Member

I personally don't know what to believe. I respect others that do though.

Old song from Depeche Mode -
      Blasphemous
      Rumours - Lyrics

I don't want to start
      Any blasphemous rumors
      But I think that God's
      Got a sick sense of humor
      And when I die
      I expect to find Him laughing

13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes I do believe. I was raised a Christian, started studying the Bible and found a lot of things wrong with modern churches. Then I got T and started taking Klonopin which zoned me out in la la land and then the T started bothering me and for some years I was so focused on my T being tortuous when depressed. Sometimes I would spend a whole week in bed while other times I would just be content watching tv and movies because I was so tranquilized. I then started "waking up" and thought what am I doing?? I have to try to get off the med which I tried to do but did it the wrong way. If I didn't have T, I probably could have done it. Later, I prayed about it and said God please help me, this is torture. Well, shortly thereafter I went to the doc and we came up with a med to take for depression which helped a lot once I titrated up to a good dosage, my tinnitus and depression were actually lowered and I got slammed me into "reality". I started thinking oh my goodness I'm 37 now, and no longer in my 20's or early 30's. What have I done with my life?! I need to start serving and listening to God! Before when I was tranqilized I started to go back and forth about wether or not there is an afterlife because I was in such a tranquilized state. I realize the importance and preciousness of life and that we need a sense of purpose and it is harmful to believe that an afterlife in paradise is not possible. I met atheists in chat rooms that were severely depressed, had no values, no purpose, believed life was meaningless, and believed once you are dead, you are dead. This kind of garbage thinking has to stop being taught in school. If you ever wonder why God doesn't answer your prayers more, just read the Bible more and find out why. Many churches don't tell the full story.

Proverbs 28:9 He who turns away his ear from listening to the law, Even his prayer is an abomination. (NASB)

Micah 3:4 Then they will cry out to the LORD, But He will not answer them. Instead, He will hide His face from them at that time Because they have practiced evil deeds. (NASB)

Proverbs 21:13 He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be answered. (NASB)

There is other verses too. In my case, I think God had mercy on me and I definitely need more mercy. Hopefully, I will get more help and my mood will be even more stabilized.

14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I use to and very strongly at that

-2008 My brother dies of cancer
      I say to myself that the Lord works in mysterious ways and maybe sometime in the future my brother would have suffered a horrible death and to spare him this he took him as peacefully as he could,my brother had a peaceful death.

-2011 I get T out of nowhere,I lose my then girlfriend and sink into a deep depression for almost a year.I pray everyday and eventually my T disappeared.I of course thank god for this.

-2012 I go to a club with earplugs to get my girlfriend back,the next day my T is back strong and yet again I sink into a deep depression.I pray everyday for the volume to lower and within two months my T drops from a 5 to a 1.I thank god for this and promise to never do something as stupid as this again and to live my life to the full and to enjoy life.

-2014 I'm exposed to a high frequency noise that lasted about 1 second and resulted in new level T and now H too.I pray and pray even though I'm full of anger for him doing this to me.After two years I improve and my T drops from a 5 back down to a 2 and my H resolves 80%.Being a man of strong faith I thanked the Lord for such a result and yet again promise to live life as best I can.

-2016 My father develops strange symptoms and within two weeks passes away from a brain tumour,I prayed and prayed but my answers weren't answered.

-2016 When my family need me most I'm exposed to another noise outside of my control and I develop severe H and higher T which hasn't really improved.

I beg and beg but yet God throws shit my way for no reason,I've been screwed twice since 2012 along with a host of other traumatic events for my family and it's relentless.

Do I believe in god now?Absolutely not!I hate to say it but if there was a god he wouldn't let this happen to good people like a lot of us here.I have done so much for people and this is how he repays me?By taking everything I love away from me?No sir it's pretty safe to say there is NO god.

I would just like to add that I still respect people that do,I'm not one of these atheists who needs to tell everyone that they're wrong.I did believe very strongly at one point but after all the misfortune thrown my way after all the good I did it's impossible for me to believe now,I can't believe a caring loving God would do this to me.

• Like Like x 1