Do You Hear Tinnitus Clearly Over the TV?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Nov 1, 2014.

?

Do You Hear Tinnitus Clearly Over The TV?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Generally no, but continuous sounds (like music or a running shower) will. Or at least distract me enough which is just as helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that this is not the case for some of you.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      The shower seems to mask mine but at time reaches over 80db...that is way louder than I watch TV, hope it's safe.

3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I can hear mine above and beyond the tv at full volume...I can hear it over trains, traffic...And even headphones at loud volumes. I can hear it over white noise, brown noise...There's no masking it, nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Yes. It got worse with time I could not hear it in the shower when it started but now I can.

5. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That brings up an interesting point. 80 dB should still be safe according to the scales you see everywhere. Even when showering all day long ;)

But I understand your concern and feel that my ears are way more susceptible to damage than the average person's ears. Also, it's like my ears have become more sensitive over the years. Does anyone else have the same experience?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Do you mean the shower is 80db or your T is 80 db?

7. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm pretty sure he means the shower is 80dB.

8. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That's what I thought but even 80db for a shower is a bit loud one would think, I'm sure water flowing from a shower would not be the same volume as someone shouting surely?? Unless you have got an unusually loud shower?

I know my shower isn't at a volume like that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Over TV and over driving my car(a loud SUV), not in the shower but the water pipes sounds distorted in my ears so i kind of hear it there as well:depressed:.

10. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've had mine 21 years no
      Nothing masks my tinnitus. How come you've just joined?? Spike or t getting you down?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah shower is 80db at times...it's is a loud shower...it's mainly when a bunch of water hits the floor all at once. It was actually hurting my ears so I brought my phone in to see. The db meter was reading 80db when large amounts of water splash and hit the floor all at once.

12. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I don't doubt what you're saying, but that's horrific. A stadium concert is soooo loud and what caused mine to begin with. How do you cope?

13. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      How do i cope? Long story short: i dont.
      Its been like this for some year and a half now thanks to Meniere's disease. Surviving, more or less.

Before MD i had that nice normal easy-to-habituate-to-T for years.
      MD took T to another level. Beyond any understanding.

I have a hearing loss in my sick ear... doesnt really matter whats the sound level in the environment anymore. My T is there always. if i use earplugs like in that stadium concert in august.... my T is pretty much what i hear the most.

Its just a sound, like they say. Ha ha.

14. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I'm so sorry to hear that @MichaelM .

At times I have trouble coping with mine, but compared to yours it's really nothing.

15. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      Thank you. When they say that T is pretty much the same for everybody and an issue of attitude... i usually stop reading at that point.

But it is possible to keep on going. I am a living example. I feel like Ferrari with 62hp engine. Keeps on going but there is something not exactly right in the engine room.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Kay Reeve

Kay Reeve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/10/1993
      Hi Marlene, I've been chronic asthmatic all my life, taking inhalers and tablets daily, but a few years ago, I finally cut out dairy and switched to Eco products where possible, now I only use inhalers every couple of days - which was once beyond a dream for me. I had lost hope of being well. Now I have a successful job, three torn disks and tinnitus lol. tackling the tinnitus is next. I've never found sinuses to affect it, nor normal headaches, only colds or inflammatory type aches. I often wondered if this gives clues to the type of tinnitus.

17. Kay Reeve

Kay Reeve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      23/10/1993
      I'm the same. Never goes away. I had the acnr bleeps up louder in my left ear yesterday while watching Drive on DVDs. The movie drowned out the bleeps entirely, but still had T clearly. Trouble with concerts is that T is much louder afterwards for a day or two. Won't stop me going to see Train in March though

18. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi Kay ,you've had your fair share ,my husband has asthma and has T also 30 yrs ,he's on inhalers ,(2) ,plus when infection the steroids come out .Oh to the joys of life .
      I've always believed there's a cause to T ,no one could ever tell me different ,you know what you know ,or intuition lets say ,Can be several causes that start it off ,but it's finding it .
      People get T on its own it goes up and down in pitch ,where as others go on and get further noises with theirs .
      All baffling to say the least .One truly stressful condition to have

19. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      I only have TV sound on level with my T ,if the programme goes up ,I'm quick to drop the volume down .
      Can't do loud at all,even if someone is on phone who doesn't know me and there voice is high I ask them to lower their voice ,got to do what I got to do,they are pretty good soon as I mention I have T .

20. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Yes. The TV, music and everything else is lower EXCEPT the shower which volume measured at 85db blends in so I don't notice it. Has the same frequency and then some. Longs showers may not be good for my ears!
      I have a hard time focusing on the voices on the show with that f'n sound in my brain.

21. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh right, now I got ya bro, one thing with those db reader phone ap's, they are usually out sometimes up to 20db over what the level actually is, I think it's got to do with the microphone or something with it.

22. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      The volume isn't over the TV's, but frequency of my T makes it hearable anyway.

23. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Question is what you lose on the road when driving your defect Ferrari. If this condition makes you sad, frustrated, lonely, unhappy, depressive, anxious... how should your wife (in this example my wife) continue with this for months, years, until the end of life?

I give you an example: I do not talk about T with my wife anymore (for four weeks now), but of course she sees in my face how I suffer. She asked me this morning how I could hear T above the loud fan in my PC. I was laughing a little bit, frustrated. And she became directly angry. So I did not say anything anymore. My T is 14-15 kHz, maybe 2-3 tones, loud and oscillating. Much higher and louder than my PC fan. Whole head is buzzing.

And people tell me, change your attitude, do CBT, do TRT, do this, do that. And if you have done it and you still suffer, it is my own failure. Yes, I am a failure.

But on the positive side I can say that yesterday was a better day. My T was a little bit lower. Still loud, but I could function much better. Today is the standard back. I do my things, make it through another day. But I have dark thoughts. Who wants to have such a suffering husband, father and son? And again, I change my thoughts into a positive direction, but it is so difficult. Every day. No relief.

And I tell everyone, also the ones who do not want to hear it and tell always the opposite: Loudness matters.

• Agree Agree x 4
    24. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      You need a "sometimes" answer for the poll. My T fluctuates from day to day, so sometimes I can watch TV and not notice it, other times I do. I often use the caption feature on the TV when I can't catch what the characters are saying.

25. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The only thing that can go anywhere near masking mine is the hairdryer. Otherwise it's heard over and above everything, only silence can calm it down. I have reactive tinnitus.

26. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      How do you cope?

27. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      With difficulty and determination. I try hard to think positive thoughts, sometimes without success. Any noise I try and avoid, I wear ear plugs often. I have had all the tests, I had a mini stroke which made me instantly deaf in one ear, now I have horrendous T. I, like everyone here, will survive, it isn't going to get me that down! I won't let it!!!!

28. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      "But I have dark thoughts. Who wants to have such a suffering husband, father and son? And again, I change my thoughts into a positive direction, but it is so difficult. Every day. No relief."

What keeps me from acting on those dark thoughts Martin is my family my kids I couldn't possibly leave them with such a burden if I did something foolish. I suffer in silence....Take care of yourself the best you can and hang in there.

Carlos

• Like Like x 2
    29. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      You have a very strong will God bless you

Carlos

30. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Carlos, same for me.
      My family, my kids, my wife, my mom.
      The question is how long you can take it. No one can suffer endlessly, in particular when we become older and other illness joins the game. So either we habituate, T lowers or we must re-think about options.