Do You Hear Tinnitus Clearly Over the TV?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Nov 1, 2014.

?

Do You Hear Tinnitus Clearly Over The TV?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Martin I just keep telling myself that within the next 10 years they'll have to be some type of cure or at least something to bring down the volume and when that happens I'll be the happiest dude on the earth till then my friend stay strong for your family and keep that faith ....I know its easier said then done especially during the dark days.
      God bless

Carlos

• Like Like x 1
    2. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      Y
      Friend, you just wrote my thoughts, word for word. Even the T sounds somewhat similar. High frequendy multitone loudness making life pretty interesting.

About that wife question: i dont know. Like yourself i dont talk about this anymore at home. There´s no use for that. I tried it a few times. For some people this is, unfortunately, impossible to understand. I understand that completely, though. In some cases it seems there is no future together anymore.

3. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      All of my TV's have "Smart sound" on them it's keeps them at the same volume even during the commericals and that really helps. I can still hear my tinnitus over the TV's at times but at least I don't have to worry about loud parts. I have to say it works for me. Some times I will put on the CC if I can't make out what's being said. And with my DVR I can just back up the parts I can't make out and play them over and over till I get it.

Louie

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Here is the weird thing...part of my T is unmaskable but I have had a good few times this year where it was easy to tune out while watching the TV because it was low. This past week not so good but, I am hoping tomorrow morning my T will drop.

5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Old thread. But if the TV masked my T, I think I would probably have habituated by now. Few things actually mask this ultra high pitched head hissing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Do you still watch?

7. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      At its worst, mine could be heard over almost everything - I would sleep with a radio, a fan and the TV on. The combination of all those jumbled noise sources wouldn't mask it, but it was such a cacophony of noises that it would offer a lot of alternatives to feed my brain.

It has quietened down significantly since initial onset though, but it still seems to increase in perceived amplitude to match and it is a daily roller-coaster as to how loud it is. Some days I can clearly hear it over the TV, others not at all - I do listen to the TV pretty quietly though, but then I always have.

8. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      If the show is good, I don't pay attention to it. But no, TV does not cover it at all... I'd just say that having good speakers is important. When you hear an external quality sound, maybe your brain is less interested in the T junk ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I need background sound before I can even concentrate on the tv

10. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts and Acoustic shock.
      I have reactive T that distorts the sound of the TV and amplifies it. Sometimes I just give up or use subtitles. What did we all do to deserve this living Hell?!

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    12. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many thanks, Micheal. Iwill certainly look into that. I'm finding the sound that causes less reaction (or hyperacusis) at night to sleep by is birdsong funnily enough.

13. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus are NOT the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ford Using sound enrichment is one of the best ways to cure hyperacusis. I had very severe hyperacusis to the point I had to ask people to lower their voice when in conversation as my ears hurt so much. It was treated by wearing white noise generators WNG as part of TRT (Tinnitus retraining therapy) That was many years ago and the hyperacusis, sensitivity to sound is completely cured.
      Michael

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Ford. Get a referral to ENT and take things from there..okay
      Michael

16. Ford
      Alone

Ford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, I will

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I understand that you consider yourself a expert, but do you have any other sources linking reactive T to hyperacusis besides your own opinion? If so, could you please post ?

18. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I would consider myself to have very reactive tinnitus, but at the same time I don't really have bad hyperacusis at all. It was bad after my never-ending-spike, for a few weeks, but then it settled. But the reactiveness is still there. My T is roaring and loud, standing next to a busy highway, in a bar, or at the cinema.

19. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Ladies and gentlemen. There is something you can do with the quiet bits. I'm not sure about TVs as I don't own one, but with many video players on the computer, you can adjust the sound compression.

'What!?' you say?

Well, you know how TV adverts sound very loud compared to the show that you are watching? Well that's the audio compressor at work. The compressor works by making the quieter sounds to be as loud as the loud sounds. Do a search on youtube on 'audio compression tutorial' and you'll find lots of tutorials on the subject.

I'm using VLC Player, which is free and available on PC and Mac, which has an audio compression feature. Star Wars Force Awakens reaallly needed it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      I can hear my T at the loudest possible tv volume. Jet aircraft pass over my house very low , Phantoms etc , and I can EASILY hear my T over them ! Today my head is just screaming. Many days I cannot watch TV or hear the radio.
      Is no masking this and it changes all the time. I often end up cluching my bead crying.
      I cannot even make my wife understand how loud it is.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      How bad is your hearing loss? I assume if you can hear your T with the TV full blast you are not getting any input from exterior sound. Do you wear hearing aids?

22. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      I had a recent hearing test and they said my left ear had particularly bad losses but I am to see ENT Dr this week for the exact figures.I am Hoping to get a hearing aid.This last week my better ear had some sharp pains and the hearing dulled a lot but came back up a bit.However, that ear now hums loudly too.I really am afraid se the high pitched screaming just fills the world. Many imes I just give in trying to watch TV etc.
      Thing is I can hear other sounds ,TV,traffic ,etc etc it is just that my T is louder than any other sound no matter how loud that other sound.
      Cheers

23. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If I watch TV I can clearly hear T in the quiet periods. When I watch on the tablet however the T seems to be less bothersome or non-existent. That said my T changes. I am developing an annoyingly increased humming sound in my right ear over the past couple of months.

24. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I think its becauae the speaker on your tablet will be closer to you so the sound waves have more power when reaching your ear, where as with a tv you are generall further away from it so the sound waves lose power. The same thing happens to me, sometimes i will have some purple noise playing from my phone on low while watching tv, i find that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Off the topic, sorry, but how bad is your reactive t?
      Is it constant?
      I have reactive hissing that's causing me burning pain and it's driving me up the wall.
      How do you cope?
      Thanks!

26. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Exactly the same

27. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I consider my T mild still I can hear it over TV. On TV there are so many silent moments that in opinion even with very mild T you would hear it. TV is not a good indicator for T severity.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Thats something i always wondered to. If its just a couple people speaking of course i will hear t. If it is bothering me ill have some low purple noise on to erase the t.

29. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I do pretty much the same, for watching TV I usually play pink noise through headphones to cancel the T

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I don't really know how to rate "how bad" my "reactiveness" is. But hissing/white-noisy sounds are the worst. Like, when the fans of my computer kicks in, the tinnitus goes right along up with them. I wouldn't say its constant though.. or rather.. sometimes I think less about it / my ears feels stronger, and sometimes I'm weaker. There are more factors controlling this than I've been able to figure out, so I don't really care to anymore.

I know it's a shitty answer, but as time goes on, your brain will adapt and your fight or flight system will lower it's guard, pushing the T to the background of your awareness. I think I have reached the current "limit" of this though, since my emotional response/physical state has been the same now for a few months. It's still a huge bummer and annoying as hell, but hours can go by without me thinking about it, so I guess I'll have to be happy about that for now.. :p Sorry about not being of more help.

• Like Like x 1