Does Any of You Own a Decibel Meter?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If so, where to get a decent and a reliable one?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can download a free app Nathalie on your mobile phone but I would say just for a rough guide.. .lots of love glynis

3. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I use the decibel app 'SPLnFFT' which @Ed209 recommends, costs around 4 eur and seems quite accurate. (I read that my car produces around 72 dbs while driving at 130 km/h and this app showed about the same decibels upon testing)

4. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    6. Andrea Lopez
      Worried

Andrea Lopez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection?
      No problem @Nathalie. Love the new pic <3

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The most accurate of the phone apps are SPLnFFT and Sound Meter by Faber Acoustics. Sound Meter is the most accurate according to the studies I've read, but it's £50. SPLnFFT is only £3 or 4 euros as @Rubenslash has stated, and is not far off. This is all based on using an iPhone by the way (iPhones are more reliable than android in this instance because they use the same hardware). The best part about these apps is that they can be calibrated. You can also purchase a special calibrated measurement mic (i436) which will then apparently make your phone both IEC 60651 and ANSI s1.4 compliant.

However, you can get a dedicated meter which will cost less. Make sure they state that the standards are met that I have listed above. If they do not meet these standards then they are just toys really. Because they are cheap they come precalibrated, which means they won't stay accurate forever. Measurement devices have to be sent away to be recalibrated after so long, but because they are cheap, it would probably make more sense just to replace the device.

If you want to spend more you will get better components, meaning better long term accurate results. The more expensive devices can also be calibrated to ensure results stay accurate.

The device I use is not available at the moment, but a quick search found this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ibel+meter&dpPl=1&dpID=41lgiPeyOwL&ref=plSrch

All I was really looking for was the wording stating that it was precalibrated and met the appropriate standards. I haven't used the device above however so I can't recommend it based on first hand experience. If you search around I'm sure you can find a device that meets these requirements with maybe some reviews to give an idea of how good it is.

A good idea to test any meter is to find a device (like a hoover) that's been professionally measured and roughly gauge the accuracy of your device based on that. If it's out by a considerable amount I'd probably doubt the accuracy. Bear in mind that there is a big difference in measurements based on the surroundings (hardfloor, carpet etc) and the distance you are from the object you are measuring.

Hope this helps.

9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      PS, don't use any free apps. They are awful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    10. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
    11. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I bought a calibrated large db meter for 50 dollars
      I also have have the smaller yellow unit that was posted here - both are Chinese made and give slightly different Db readings
      I found that the free iPhone app Decibel Ultra gives almost exact same numbers as he largest unit I have so for our purposes that's more than adequate

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A bit off topic, but where can you get decibel meters that measure ultra high frequency sound (above 10kHz)? Most weighting cuts off completely at 10kHz.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Alue

I use the iPhone app Octave that provides the full sound spectral composition.

14. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The larger unit I have says up to 12khz