Does Anyone Else Have Anxiety Panic Disorder?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by another sean, Aug 25, 2018.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone else has anxiety panic disorder? I do and am wondering how others cope and deal with it. Things that work and things to help move past it. Also what are triggers and symptoms that made you think was wrong with your body but it was just anxiety instead.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

I am sorry you are dealing with anxiety panic disorder.

I have suffered with escalating anxiety all of my life.

I also have ocd to deal with for the past 5 years with varying degrees of success.

Anxiety based hypnosis helps as does cbt mindfulness. Not looking after myself makes it worse, so getting plenty of sleep, eating clean food etc helps also.

I am considering inositol for my anxiety and ocd.

My health has taken a sharp nosedive the past year. This has caused quite severe health anxiety. So, I know what that's like.

I am just trying to take one day at a time, continue with anxiety management strategies as above (including a therapist) and looking after myself as best as I can. xxx

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Deb,

How did you get CBT therapy? Did you see a CBT therapist or did you follow a workbook? I was told CBT would be a perfect fit for my anxiety panic disorder but the only qualified CBT therapist is too far of a drive for my T to handle. How have you dealt with OCD? With CBT therapy or something else?

4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I'm new to anxiety triggered by tinnitus.

So it was a surprise to me and the symptoms that came along big time and dealing with it.

At first I was caught off guard that I was in severe anxiety that was not going away.

I made myself not to go crazy over it, but I did. I went on a lithium med and it took the edge off, took my body back. But I had other symptoms, eye flashes is one of them but that almost went away with meds. And I do breathing exercises, I do not do CBT due to unavailability in my area. But I went to therapy which helps a lot. I keep myself busy but I was a busy person anyway. Also I like driving with the radio on low it's the best.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I found a psychologist who uses CBT to treat anxiety and OCD.

I've outlined what I've done to help with OCD and anxiety.

James Callner on YouTube has made some very helpful videos on anxiety and OCD. He talks anout exposure ritual therapy.Check them out ☺

Maybe contact Dr Hubbard on here for a phone or Skype consult?

Dr jennifer Ganns has an online cbt mindfulness course specifically for tinnitus too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Whatever you do, stay away from benzos. They make it much much worse than the anxiety began and are addictive. Take it from me, withdrawal was completely horrible on them.

They are still there in case shit hits the fan but I haven't touched them in over a month.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, I took Ativan 3 times because I had insomnia from my anxiety. would be up for 3 days straight until I had to take one. I knew I had to find another solution so I can sleep again and finally did thankfully. Doctors were treating it like candy. crazy.

8. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have general anxiety disorder and it almost killed me in the past. My shrink thinks it developed because I had massive secret about myself and was hiding it from all people, including the closest one. It later developed into anxiety, insomnia, depression and irritable bowel. At least now I am open with my close friends and relatives, but got tinnitus this year.
      I am taking drugs from anxiety - Xanax, Mirtazapine and occassionally Zopiclone, pus natural supplements - valeriana, Mentat Himalaya, rarely melatonin.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How did it almost kill you?

10. Alex Prime
      Anime

Alex Prime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I became suicidal. It was a long time ago.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Hello @another sean !

I am curious about this as well. Not just with panic disorders but with anxiety in general. I one time read a statistic that people with anxiety issues are more likely to develop tinnitus. I think it had to due with the fact that it is harder for anxious people to let go of things so they dwell on their tinnitus which takes longer to habituate and is a bigger problem than a "normal" person who can more easily just get on with it.

I suffer from a variety of anxiety issues and tinnitus isn't helping the problem at all. I try to cope with my anxiety by keeping myself distracted from it. I go to CBT in order to address the issues that make my anxiety worse and help try to find patterns of anxiety to catch my through processes before they go into panic mode. I also think exercise had helped me greatly. I know exercise doesn't help everyone, but it is night and day for me. Exercise helps put me into a routine, helps me burn off additional unnecessary stress hormones (adrenaline & cortisol) , and helps calm my mind by using up excess energy. I would highly suggest it if you don't do it already. It by no means will solve all your problems and get rid of anxiety, but for me it helps me keep is under control and have it be more manageable.

Another thing I have been looking into an doing is taking supplements (nootropics). Before taking any supplement please talk with your doctor to make sure they are safe for you. Currently for anxiety / ear health I take Vitamin C, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin E, Vitamin D3. For a little while I was taking NAC, but stopped due to an adverse reaction. NAC is a very beneficial supplement that goes beyond ear health. I am looking into other natural supplements to try as well to help with anxiety because I would like to avoid pharm medication if possible because they can sometimes have an effect on T.

Something that you and @DebInAustralia may find interesting is the connection between glutamate in the brain and anxiety. There are supplements that can effect glutamate production and whatnot in the brain, which has been scientifically proven to have an effect on stress levels. In particular, NAC has been proven to have a positive effect on people with OCD. I could go on forever about this topic because I have done a lot of research into it and have read countless studies on the matter. A quick google search about NAC, Glutamate and anxiety will put you down a rabbit hole showing you how much of an effect glutamate has on our anxiety levels.

Perhaps I will make a thread about this topic, but at this moment I am a little busy. Feel better Sean!

Jack

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    12. Gracious58

Gracious58 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suspect medication, or head trauma many years ago
      Hi another sean, and anyone suffering from panic attacks....

In 1970s I started having anxiety panic attacks and they lasted over 28 years.

It was excruciating while bringing up my kids because I missed a lot of happy or ceremonious occasions, I was always afraid the panic would start! Pills didn't really help!

I searched every corner of literature and first I found Dr Claire Weekes:
      Agoraphobia: Simple, Effective Treatment
      - helpful but she veered towards nutrition which didn't change much for me

Then I read:
      Free from Fears: New Help for Anxiety, Panic and Agoraphobia
      which led me to the CHAANGE program which me a lot more understanding and I could quit doing things thru sheer will!
      At about the same time it was discovered that I had hypothyroidism and with the Levothyroxine pills the attacks became more manageable

However, the most useful little book which gave me a technique that works in seconds.... AND I've never looked back is "Panic Away" That technique saved me, a little late in my life but I do not have anxiety panic attacks anymore! I have an Adobe file copy I am going to try and upload here now

I SO know how you feel, I wish you all quick recovery

Grace

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How you holding up @another sean?

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pretty good. Thanks for asking Jack!

16. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad to hear it! How was the supplements you have been taking working out for you? I saw in another thread you were going to try a variety.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good. There are 3 that I take, one of them for maintence and the other two when anxiety is elevated.

18. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Which ones are you taking? I am taking magnesium mainly for anxiety (not sure if helping, but I do feel more relaxed after taking it). NAC didn't work for me (adverse side effects), but also looking into theanine potentially.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take Magnesium by Calm for maintenance. When things are elevated I take alcohol free Passion flower drops and chewable Pharma GABA.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've never head of passion flower drops. Ill have to look into that. Did you ever try theanine?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, tried L-Theanine 200mg by Nature's Trove. I only took it once. Maybe its needs to build up? Passion flower drops you'll feel in 5-10 min. I had already used it as a sleep aid before anxiety but it also works for anxiety because it helps increase GABA without the side effects like xanex. I only need 10 drops but you can take 30-60 per the instructions. Highly recommend trying it. I like the one by Nature's Answer. Just make sure it's the one without alcohol. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am def going to look into it and let you know! Thank you for the recommendation! Did the Theanine not work for you? I was kinda hoping it was gunna work a little at least when my order arrives.

23. Danikam
      Happy

Danikam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy/unknown

There are many really amazing therapist that specialize in CBT who would do Skype sessions.

I can honestly say that CBT saved my life!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It didn't but maybe I needed to take it longer? Not sure.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the Skype suggestion. I look into it. Good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @another sean how has the anxiety been? Any update with your supplements?

I recently started trying Theanine and I definitely think it helps. Its not going to stop a panic attack, but it will help bring me down a step if I am getting worked up.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Jack,

Im still taking Magnesium daily for maintenance and then the Passion flower drops if something triggers it higher. It did try a break from magnums and I could definitely feel general anxiety coming back so its definitely working. Like I can tell when my mag levels are low now. So I take mag mon-fri and break on the weekends.

28. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What form of magnesium you taking? I take Citrate.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I take a citrate as well. Its a powder you mix with water and drink.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another supplement I am looking into is curcumin. @JohnAdams is currently experimenting with is for tunnitus and it seems to be helping him. curcumin is supposed to also be good for anxiety, but the research is still ongoing.

• Like Like x 1