Dog Groomer, Loud Dryers, Lately I've Started Hearing Odd Sounds WITHIN External Sounds

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sandy Heath, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Sandy Heath

Sandy Heath Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely, workplace machinery
      I am a female, age 64. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years. Professional pet salons use high-velocity, extremely loud dryers to dry the pets. About 10 years ago, I began to notice some cicada-like noises in my ears. This has been a constant since that time, but I’m dealing with it ok.

But lately, I have noticed, when I hear relatively loud noises like the dryers, or a leaf blower, or even a washing machine running, I hear odd sounds WITHIN that sound itself. Cymbals crashing, drum beats, etc that no one else hears. I heard whispering like noises from my clothes dryer.

Anyone else experience this? It’s really, really strange.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      Yes. I was experiencing a lot of this a couple months ago. My brain was imprinting music-like qualities into anything noisy like loud fans, etc. - lasted for about a month. Now I can sort of hear those kinds of things if I will myself to, but they're nowhere near as pronounced.

3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Probably a sign to start protecting your ears when doing noisy activities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. jlish
      Jaded

jlish Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      26 years of loud noise
      Good evening! I have the same issue as you.

I have a constant ring, which is bad, but can be covered up. What can't be covered is the cicada-like sound that I hear along with other sounds. When I hear it most: fans, waterfalls and plastic bags. But I also hear a chirp like sound with other sounds, too, such as my voice, others' voices, footsteps, and soo much more. I actually find it very disturbing and am having trouble managing it.

Glad to hear you're managing quite well! It is probably more so my focusing on it that is the issue and not so much the noise.

5. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I get thuds and low wavering, like a deep gargling sound. Always from any fan or noises. Purely awful. Ringing or static would be heaven compared to this shit.

6. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Seems like your hearing has become hypersensitive, its sound tolerance level has gone down. The brain can react in strange ways, like producing the funny sounds that you hear. It's just trying to tell you to be careful with noise.

Walk away from loud sounds and if you can't, put earplugs in. But don't overprotect either. You need to find a balance between not protecting at all and protecting too much.

7. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild hearing loss due to high volume sounds
      I experience this quite a bit. Sometimes at night when the AC, fans, and white noise machines are on I'll perceive music even though I know there isn't any. Sometimes in the shower I'll hear imaginary sounds. If the vacuum is on sometimes I'll hear a phone ringing although I don't have a land line and my cellphone doesn't sound like an old fashioned phone.