Dr. Jennifer Gans Psychologist Specializing in Mindfulness & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dr. Gans, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Dr. Gans

Dr. Gans Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      I am a clinical psychologist in private practice in San Francisco, CA treating clients with tinnitus, hyperacusis, misophonia, and hearing related difficulties. I recently returned from the Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) Conference in New Zealand where top researchers and clinicians from all over the world talk about discoveries and experiences with tinnitus. I completed research at UCSF in the Department of Otolaryngology--Cochlear Implant and Audiology Clinic on Mindfulness Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction (MBTSR) as a treatment for chronic tinnitus. My area of specialty is the psychological impact of deafness and hearing difficulty as it relates to a person's well-being. I look forward to connecting with people on this Support Forum.

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Dr. Gans, so incredibly great to see you here!!!!

I attended your outstanding MBTSR presentation at Rich Tyler's meeting in Iowa City in 2012. It was one of the highlights of the conference!

Stephen Nagler

3. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Welcome Dr.

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Welcome to the site!!:welcomesignanimation:

Mark

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Great to hear from you, Stephen. Thank you so much for the compliment. Will you be at the Iowa Conference this summer?
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks Mark, good to be part of the Forum.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for the warm welcome---I'm looking forward to being part of the Forum.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

8. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Welcome Dr. Gans--I'm sure you can provide us with some great info!

9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      No, I won't be there, Jennifer. I'm pretty-much retired and definitely winding things down as far as meetings go. Been to Rich's conference in Iowa City five times over the years. Methinks that's enough!

Best regards -

Stephen

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Well, I technically am taking a "board break" until the end of May (can't believe it's been three weeks since I told you all I was taking this step). But I do lurk here at TT, which has been REALLY hard, not to reconnect with you as I follow your progress. You guys know, if you need something specific, you always can reach me by PM.

But I felt I did have to quickly step in and welcome Dr. Gans to the board, as well as Dr. Nagler (now posting with a photo!) I know you both through your work. Markku. you obviously are doing something fine here at Tinnitus Talk to catch the interest of people like this.

Dr. Gans, I have been involved with CBT almost since I first was diagnosed with tinnitus, and it has been tremendously helpful. But I am very interested in mindfulness, particularly if it is being offered by someone with additional training in tinnitus. My audiologist, Dr. Tricia Sheehan at University of Miami, was at TRI as well. Am looking forward to seeing her next month and talking about the conference. I believe the university is considering a mindfulness program, but not sure. So I will be watching your posts with interest.

Dr. Nagler, just wanted to tell you: In my early T days, I printed out your "Letter to a Tinnitus Sufferer" and carried it around with me for a couple months, so I could reread it on bad days. Thanks for that.

Take care, all. See you soon.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Understood--5 times in Iowa City is just about enough :) I see your name is Stringplayer. I'm guessing you play a stringed instrument? I'm crazy about playing the guitar. Good way to keep things in balance :) Looks like we are both new to this Forum. Glad to be on it--seems to reach a lot of people.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

12. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hello Dr Gans just want to say welcome to the forum. Can I ask you if you also have Tinnitus? I've had it for 7 months and its been one of the most challenging things I gone/am going through in my life. This forum has truely been a blessing tho glad you can join us.

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yea, Jennifer. I play a stringed instrument - the violin. I guess "play" is a generous term. Maybe "play at" would better describe it. I started in fifth grade - some 55 years ago - but still and all "play at" is definitely more accurate!

Been on this board for six weeks now; the folks here seem very nice, and the board is very well-moderated. So glad to see you here!

By the way, the Guest of Honor at Rich's meeting this coming June will be Anne-Mette Mohr. Like you, Anne-Mette is a psychologist. I've heard her speak on a number of occasions, and back in 1999 I spent three days with her and her colleagues in Copenhagen. I think you'll enjoy her presentation very much.

I'm thinking about asking the moderators to change my nick from stringplayer to Dr. Nagler to be consistent with yours. Not sure about it yet. But if the other clinicians on the board would be interested in doing the same, it might make it easier for folks to identify us. Any thoughts?

Best regards -

Stephen

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Such a warm welcome! Thank you. I am really thrilled with how far this Forum reaches. I have stumbled upon mindfulness as a way (there are many :) for managing tinnitus. I feel honored to have this opportunity to introduce it to people who have suffered with tinnitus and are looking for a new way to live with rather than against tinnitus (which it seems you have found in your work with CBT). What I love about the practice of mindfulness skills is that we see that it helps people in so many aspects of their lives.

I'm looking forward to having a lively discussion about it!
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi Carlos! Thanks for the welcome. I don't personally have tinnitus but have certainly had my share of chronic pain in life. I have worked with hundreds of tinnitus patients in my work. I am really thrilled with how far this Forum reaches. I have stumbled upon mindfulness as a way (there are many :)) for managing tinnitus. I feel honored to have this opportunity to introduce it to people who struggle with tinnitus and are looking for a new way to live with rather than against tinnitus. What I love about the practice of mindfulness skills is that we see that it helps people in so many aspects of their lives.

I'm looking forward to having a lively discussion about it!
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

16. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      It's absolutely brilliant that two such people are here helping on this excellent site. I don't think it matters what you call yourself as most people will know or will get to know quite quickly who you are. I have paid a lot of money over the years for help with coping with tinnitus and have been charged for email help when I desperately wanted a quick question answered by someone who I was paying very generously by the hour anyway, yet here you are, freely giving your help and advice!! You are both wonderful.
      The annoying thing is that I have been seeing someone (new) about my tinnitus and have had the best week ever for at least a year or more; that's obviously not annoying but very good......the annoying bit is that I'm supposed to avoid sites like this and I will miss out on all your wisdom and hearing how folks are doing. I feel quite attached to some of the posters and I'm concerned as to how they're doing so it's hard not to check in to see.
      I think though that if I'm doing so well and not being adversely affected by looking at the site that it may be OK to continue. I will own up to my failure to keep away and see what is said. I believe though that as long as people recognize that most folks habituate quickly and move on so are never heard from but the ones who find their way here are in the minority, then it is all kept in perspective.

Hope to be keeping in touch........kind thoughts to all.:huganimation:

17. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Welcome Dr. Gans! Our community here is growing and we very much appreciate the input and ideas from experts within the field. Our goal within this community (and upcoming Tinnitus Network community) is to be a good resource for tinnitus sufferers all over the world. To help connect them to the best professionals available, what the most promising research is, and support from other tinnitus patients. Thank you for taking the time to post and I hope you will lend your insights whenever you get the opportunity.

18. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I only live about 2 hours away from Iowa City, I should attend this year. I applied for some graduate schools for tinnitus research related programs (doctorate) this last year, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. It would be fun to see some presentations and meet some researchers first hand.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Susan1103
      Tolerant

Susan1103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1988
      Welcome Dr Gans ! I too am new to this site and Im already learning quite a bit. Ive been suffering with tinnitus for nearly 25 years, and progressively getting worse. I really look forward to you sharing any knowledge you have on coping with this disorder. So many people need help!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting the conversation going about mindfulness and learning how to live with rather than against tinnitus.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      That's a great way to describe my playing as well-- I more 'play at' it myself. But love it. I'm usually not a fan of Discussion Boards, but like you say, this one seems well moderated. I would only say change your name to Dr Nagler because your name is well known and it may be preferred by participants but I'm not sure it really matters. So when you say retirement, what does that mean?
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Yes, it's a good conference. I recommend attending.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm excited to get the conversation going about mindfulness. I'm looking forward to sharing what I have learned.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dr. Gans

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks Mark. Good to be here. Looking forward to a lively discussion about mindfulness.
      Warmly,
      Jennifer

25. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Hi Dr Gans, please let's get started with the discussion about T and mindfulness. I've got the mindfulness for dummies book and it all makes sense but I'd love to hear some tips specifically for people with tinnitus. I did a day course on mindfulness which was very good but we were told that whatever problems we had (all sorts of folks with different problems) that when we quieted our minds as in meditation, if we didn't actually have any thoughts then the problem would not be there. Great if you're worrying about a row with a neighbour or money problems; I can see they don't exist if they're not thought about but with tinnitus, if you're in silence not thinking about anything then it appears worse! I know you'll have a very sensible explanation for this and would love to hear your views. Is it that if we actively listen to it that we learn to accept it without reacting? Being aware of our emotions but not reacting in an habitual way? Look forward to your comments..... thanks so much for joining the site. Beth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I have been starting to practice mindfulness. It's hard but rewarding! I have been using headphones and binaural meditation music to mask my T at the same time though. So not quite there yet to accept my T and 'listen into it'... :)

27. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I would like to know more about 'rewiring the brain' with mindfulness, which has been researched a lot lately together with brain's neuroplasticity. Self hypnosis / suggestion probably shares something similar with mindfulness and learning to live with T. I would like to hear your thoughts on this? :)

28. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      So would I! Let's get the discussion rolling.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. kharaa
      Depressed

kharaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3rd 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage

Welcome Dr. Gans! I read your website. You mention hyperacusis but do not mention how you treat it. Can you explain how you treat hyperacusis? Thank you, it is great to have you here.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      For me, retirement means devoting more time to music, more time to photography, more time to fitness and bike riding, more time to reading, more time to drinking fine wine, more time to traveling with my wife, more time to giving tinnitus presentations, and more time to teaching. I do see tinnitus patients, but only two a week. It's a retirement, but I stay busy.

Stephen