Dysacusis — How Common Is It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kamil1364, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Thanks for your input. It's useful to know who has that because it helps me figure out some pathology that's similar.

Yours is idiopathic? Just out of the blue?

Mine began off Prednisone so could entirely be due to some kind of fluid imbalance from that. I figured that yawn wine glass sound was due to a fistula and leaking... it could still be due to some membrane adhesion or movement... but the fact that you have it and certainly didn't go diving/flying/exercising to cause it is making me doubt that sound is related then.

That wine glass hum also comes out around some objects (not NEARLY as disturbing as the lightsaber or drone in the morning).

The metallic clinks you have I also recall having, showers were fun. They went away, but the ride isn't over yet apparently, new sounds take it's place... seems like a brain process too because sometimes I'll get sounds coming out my left, and then a day or so later they're out my right (earplugs in silence, so it isn't sound triggering it) which seems impossible so there's got to be some brain screwed upness at play too.

It took at least a month for them to dissipate to where running water isn't enough to set it off. I took regular vitamins and turmeric for a while during that time... might've helped. Benzos definitely help. Alcohol made me notice is less. Low salt did nothing. Steroids may have helped, but that's imo a huge gamble.

@GBB, apparently benzos helped him with the distortion as well as Kava Kava? I'd like to know for sure. I have a new lightsaber distortion which loves coming out over music / etc, if Kava Kava is a bit more sustainable long term I might start using it on weekends if it actually works for the whole day.

2. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Yep. I was ripped out of my mind (I miss getting stoned) in bed watching a movie on my laptop when I heard a tornado siren go off in my head. A few weeks later I developed mild hyperacusis and then about 4 weeks ago I started with these fucking metallic cicada buzzing over the faucet.

Showers have been fucking miserable. Showers used to relax me, now it's torture.

I'll try taking Turmeric. I'm taking a whole shit ton of vitamins and supplements. Benzos don't do much except help me sleep and calm tf down. Never did anything to my tinnitus or the hyperacusis. But I'll definitely try Turmeric. I think I have some inflammation going on, although prednisone didn't help either. Nothing seems to except maybe time and keeping calm.

That lightsaber/drone noise sounds really awful to deal with. I hope that goes away for you. I really do. If you end up using Kava Kava let me know how it goes for you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      I had exactly this for a little over a month before I got dysacusis. First in one ear then progressed to both. I still have it and it's never changed since November.

4. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      At least try treatment with herbal diuretics and avoidance of salt and coffee etc (I know you know) and don't forget you should not lift anything *extremely* heavy or do any kind of extreme pressure change activity even later.

• Like Like x 1
    5. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intratympanic injections are literally painless and the hole takes like a few days to close up.

6. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I know but it's a perforation in your eardrum. Don't people get tinnitus from perforations? Either way I'll do it man.

7. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not the same kind of perforation you would get from a trauma to the ear, it's just an almost microscopic hole that heals in 2 days.

8. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Well that’s good news. I hope FX-322 rolls out by 2022 like some people are saying.

9. Richardfromuk

Richardfromuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert and or Noisy Workplace left me with dysacusis
      Hearing aids have helped reduce the buzzy scratchy distortion i suffer with and helped me hear clearer, although not perfect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not sure where I got mine from but it's been bothering me since March.

Wine glasses being tapped with metal. Plus chrrr bzzzz and chiff chiff sounds in right ear.

Makes me miserable at times.

11. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey, I’m just starting with this exact wine glass sound now. So you had it mild for roughly 30 years? Or am I reading that wrong?

I’ll do anything I can to avoid any more progress.