Dysacusis — How Common Is It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kamil1364, Oct 14, 2020.

1. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I have been a tinnitus sufferer for the past two months - it's pretty mild.

What bothers me more is dysacusis. I can hear morse code-like beep over some sounds, like blowdryers, white noise, fans or car engines. It always sounds like it's coming from the source of sound. I obviously don't hear it in silence. It's really annoying to the point I sleep without any masking - I prefer my tinnitus to it.

Dysacusis has been with me for around one month. I believe it may got a bit quieter over that time, or maybe I just kind of ,,habituated" to it.

Is there any possibility of it going away? Do we know what specifically is it caused by? Is there any research being made about it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      Is it a low or high pitch morse code sound?

3. GBB

GBB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction / Additional Acoustic Trauma in Close Proximity
      I have this but it’s a little different. It’s a pff pff pff over sound, with the pff sounding like if you can imagine shaking a bag of coins. Often I’ll get multiple pulses per second in both ears. I can’t speak to how common it is but it is intolerably discomforting.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I think it's rather lower pitched.

5. bobbygolucky

bobbygolucky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      I have this as well. Fans and white noise machine sounds produce higher beeps and I hear a kind of throbbing for low sounds sometimes.

6. weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      I have this shit and it sucks. Seems to go hand in hand with hyperacusis.

I hear it over music, fans, motors, high-frequencies, running water, sizzling, etc.

Also have noxacusis and reactive tinnitus.

7. Pendar

Pendar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear a high-pithced whistling sound over a lot of 'fan' or 'motor' noises (e.g. fridge compressor, loud computer fan, etc.) in addition to my regular electrical-static T. The dysacusis bothers me more than T at this point. I dread opening the fridge door if the compressor is off because I know it will set it off and I'll start hearing the whistle.

Wonder if anyone else with dysacusis has this particular experience and if it's gotten better for anyone. I've had the D for 5-6 months and it has not improved much.

8. Pendar

Pendar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh what's also bizarre is that the angle of my ear relative to the sound source seems to matter. There are a few angles (e.g. if I hold my head in a certain position relative to the sound source) that make the whistling lower volume/

• Informative Informative x 1