Dysacusis — Will It Subside?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Asia88, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I’m absolutely dreaded. No idea what happened, but all sounds, like a car passing by or a sound of a refrigerator, have a high-pitched undertone to it. Even sitting in the room with electrical appliances is torture! It feels like my ear catches electrical humming all the time. If I plug my ears, I hear only my own tinnitus, but once I unplug... oh god.

When I speak, it feels like my Eustachian tubes open and cannot close - all sounds along with air pushes everything inside of the ear and I can hear myself speaking loudly! And tinnitus itself is spiked like crazy...

I went to an ENT who said I have a regular ETD along with autophony which led to a sound distortion. The doctor put me on steroid spray for 3 months for a start...

Any ideas? I'm used to my tinnitus, but this sound distortion is killing me! Did it go away for some?

Thanks for any insight!

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Mine comes and go depending on if I've been around lots of noise or not...

• Like Like x 2
    3. Sofie C

Sofie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes! But it took around 3 months.

I had a VERY noisy flight yesterday, after which it seems that the sensitivity has returned a bit, but I don’t focus on this anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sofie C

Sofie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid
      Damn. Mine started four days ago. I get this weird whistling around certain noises and when the noise stops so does the whistling.

It's making me very anxious.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I know, it’s super frustrating. But just try not to focus. I must say that I just woke up one day, forgot to check on a sound to see if it’s still there, and later realized that it’s not.

Do you take anything like Flonase? I have to say that I used it for 3 months as prescribed, and things got lot better when I stopped using it (although initially I was advised Flonase to get rid of the distortion).

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sofie C

Sofie C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid
      I have been givin a nasel spray and drops about three days ago (Friday) the day after this all started. The night it started I had taken magnesium in the form of a powder (mixed it with water) and I'd never done that before. So maybe it's that I'm not really sure?
      The sound I'm hearing isn't even in my ears it sounds so like its coming from the actual source. (Car.. washing machine.. the pipes above my bed) it's so distressing. Im really hoping it stops because this just isn't nice at all and I didn't think I'd ever say it but... I miss my old T I'm only 7 weeks into this tinnitus stuff and I'm so scared.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, it was absolutely the same for me - a noise was so real and felt like it was coming from a real source. Even flushing a toilet was a torture (sorry!). And I also prayed for having just my ordinary T back.

I know easier said than done, but don’t worry and treat it as... as my husband said - I also can hear things if I try to, but I don’t react to them as you do. So even after my distortion subsided I can see how my ears managed to catch these distortions (I can somewhat “catch” the sound if I try to), but I no longer listen to them, therefore I do not hear them at all. Too complicated maybe, but that’s the only way I can put it. Don’t worry and I’m sure it will go away. I know unfortunate cases here, but mine seems like a positive one (knock on a wood!). So will be yours

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      And believe me it was BAD. Sometimes I wanted just to shut everything down and put myself into a soundproof cabin. I hated watching TV, especially when a background music was coming, because that was the most whistling part. But I kept watching and telling myself that this will pass, I will get used to it. And after 3 months distortions are just gone

10. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    11. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Would you advice to not take Flonase?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asia88

Asia88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I personally don’t see any difference except for increased ringing and sensitivity to sounds. Which as I said subside after withdrawal. So :dunno:

13. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      Sofie, 4 days ago i have got this whistlind sound as well.
      Sofie, did it subsided?

14. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Seems like this madness subsides for everyone apart from me.
      I am so stressed.

• Hug Hug x 3
    15. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      How long have you had it for?

16. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      2 years and today is pretty bad.

17. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hello Asia88

I know it's been a long time since you logged in. Hopefully you will see this and let me know how it's been since we last heard from you. I recently had this start occurring, would help to know long term from someone that's been through it. Do you try to protect yourself in noisy places?

18. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I am going through a very bad spike right now and I am experiencing severe sound distortion. I have had dysacusis since June of 2019, but it fluctuates. Periods of time it's very tolerable, but other times its absolutely unbearable, like now.

Protect your ears right now from noisy places as much as possible, but don't overprotect. It will likely die down. I am hoping mine dies down again, my dysacusis elevated back to a severe level last Thursday with noise exposure and extreme stress. Stress definitely makes it much worse.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Thank you for the encouragement. It's been very rough with the sound distortion. I can handle the T but D is so much worse. I hope it does die down. I wish yours does too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Capstan

Capstan Guest

Hi Pinklights98

Have you found anything that helps you cope?

21. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Sometimes, listening to this YouTube neuromodulation sound helps with the sound distortion, like this one:

4 Hours of High Pitched Tinnitus...

I sleep with a fan on for noise but with dysacusis the high pitch whistling that overlays the fan can be unbearable and I found that playing that sound quietly at the same time sometimes helps. This is just me though, you may need to look around YouTube and see if you find a particular sound therapy that helps you.

• Like Like x 2
    22. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      re you guys still dealing with this? I have had it for about a month and a half and it is definitely worse than my baseline tinnitus. It often gives me the feeling of nails on a chalkboard, like my ears are being tickled. Really praying it will stop - I've just applied for a medical leave of absence from my job because it has gotten so bad...

23. lis

lis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      severe 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Anyone still experiencing dysacusis or have thoughts about coping? It's been a horrific year...

24. kenzo178

kenzo178 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic shock
      You have it for 1 year? I'm 7 weeks into this nightmare and I pray every day that when I wake up it's gone. Wish you all the best, hopefully it will fade for us two.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. lis

lis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      severe 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @GBB

Checking in to see if your symptoms have changed at all with the distortions and pain?

26. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Dysacusis does suck, it’s harder to habituate to because it’s not constant. It will get better as your hyperacusis improves.

• Like Like x 2
    27. kenzo178

kenzo178 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic shock
      I have also a hum in my ear when a fan is running or a water heater. When it's off, the hum also stops. Is this dysacusis or hyperacusis?

Even when my neighbor's dog is barking it sounds distorted, I get a squeak instead of barking lol.

28. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      It's dysacusis, a symptom of loudness hyperacusis.

29. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I still have mine after a year. I just do my best to avoid sounds that aggravate it.

30. shelbynn
      Overworked

shelbynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      T 11/20, D and H 1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      How will I ever enjoy the sounds of rain, water on the shore, or wind in the trees again?