Dysacusis — Will It Subside?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Asia88, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I'm just writing this question out of curiosity. Everyone, please do not take it the wrong way, as I ask in good faith.

What is the deal with dysacusis? How does it impact you all and do you consider it a debilitating symptom?

As I previously wrote, I have experience with very tame dysacusis. Although it was scary, I mainly saw it as a mild annoyance. My impression is that dysacusis does not alter or worsen the baseline, in contrast to spiking, therefore, wouldn't it be something one could habituate to, even though it is very intrusive?

I sincerely wish you all recovery and respite from these conditions,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 2
    2. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Mine is distorted high frequency sounds possibly due to hidden hearing loss. My audiogram is good: <10 dB all the way to 16 kHz. However, drum plates sound like a constant hiss, stuff like that, basically everything lacks depth at high frequencies.

I can't listen to music and it's absolute hell. Even the 'S' sounds in my wife's voice sound louder.

As a word of warning: do not ever up the volume if you can't hear a sound at a high frequency. I could not hear it at all at max volume. But it damaged my ears and it's been 3 weeks like this so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Richardfromuk

Richardfromuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert and or Noisy Workplace left me with dysacusis
      I've had dysacusis 12 months now and still have episodes where everything sounds like a crackly buzzy mess with severe clipping and muffling of high frequencies.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. brixenbrixen
      In pain

brixenbrixen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      @Brian Newman, how do you manage at the moment with your dysacusis? Is there a chance that it gets better? I have developed it recently on top of my severe tinnitus and it is really hard. I hear chainsaws, beeping and whistling on top of many sounds.

• Hug Hug x 3
    5. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I have that and it does get better in time. With me I'm not sure if it "healed itself" or the brain just got used to it. It doesn't affect me like it used to. It still likes to rear its head at times, but the anxiety I used to get from it has lessened in time.

• Like Like x 8
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Distortions were beyond distracting, but it does seem to get better for most people overtime. That was the case for me as well as others (Brian too I believe). I haven’t heard mine or notice it lately (almost 2 months now).

I made a thread about a musician battling dysacusis if you’re interested. There might be some useful information there for you (he recovered btw).
      Yeah, I think there’s something the brain does to ‘heal’ it. I’ve noticed it too. They don’t bother me as much when they do reappear. I think the brain will eventually retune these distortions so that things can sound normal again or close to normal at least. I also think brain reinterprets these new patterns as normal overtime, hence the less distress that one receives from it. Time is the best healer for distortions, literally speaking. Even someone like @Matchbox, who probably has the worst case of distortions here, has seen improvements too. I believe he’s gone on record to say his distortions have DRAMATICALLY improved with time.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. TheCapybara
      Anime

TheCapybara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely headphone noise
      I've been dealing with dysacusis for nearly a year now and it's definitely improved since, though not completely gone. But there's far less in beeps and weird noises on top of sounds than there used to be, and the distortions seem to react less to certain sounds now.

But I still need to be careful, anything loud can always cause a bit of a setback for a while (I know the NY fireworks did) and then the beeps can come back for a short period again.

It's such a weird condition to be dealing with. I still don't fully understand it even now.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. brixenbrixen
      In pain

brixenbrixen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      How are you doing? I was happy to read that your tinnitus was better.

twa