Ear Feeling Full and Achy After Car Wheel Spun and Made Awful Screech

Discussion in 'Support' started by ShaunR, Jun 30, 2020.

1. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Hi,

-I've had tinnitus for a long time and it doesn't bother me. It started after a concert.
      -Years later I think I damaged my hearing in my right ear when exposed to a jet engine for 30 seconds at work. For 3 years it felt full and ached. Then one day it dissipated.
      -3 years later the heavy achy feeling came back and drove me to the brink of suicide.
      -I got over that and started living life again. The feeling went away and I was absolutely fine until a week ago.

My brother dropped me off outside my house and wheel spun his car which made an awful screech and seems to have set off my ache once again! The noise was only for about 2 seconds as I managed to cover my ears quickly.

For a week my right ear has again felt full and achy. The ache extending into my jaw. Tinnitus has been no better or worse. It's just the horrible aural feeling which has left me in tears. Its not painful just a weird blocked feeling.

I started taking NAC straight away and have continued to do so daily. I've just started taking Kalms as well. Not long after taking the Kalms my ear felt almost normal.

As I type this I'm feeling almost back to normal. However my mind won't shake the fact that the tyre screeching must have damaged my ear.

My wondering is is this stress related? When I hear loud sounds does my ear shut down? I've had this before with other not so noisy incidents. I can't help thinking this is all in my head and a reaction to loud sound.

Cheers,
      Shaun.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      Had ear problems for as long as I can remember. Tinnitus started after one loud concert about 15 years ago. Got used to it and it wasn't a problem anymore. I protected my ears and never exposed them to any loud noises

Skip forward about 10 years and I was exposed to about 30 seconds of jet engine noise. This brought on some weird ear symptoms which after about 3 years disappeared.
      These included:
      Fullness
      Aching jaw
      Aching ear
      Weird sensation in my ear

ENT found no problem. And no hearing loss... However I do feel my left ear hears much better than my right.

A month ago I was exposed to 2 seconds of wheel spin noise and all these symptoms have come back.
      Anxiety is through the roof and I'm not sure if I can take years of this again :( It's almost like I cant stop thinking and feeling for these sensations 24/7.

Before this incident I was incredibly stressed with work also.

I've fallen back down the rabbit hole of chronic nerve damage etc and spend hours flicking through the forum.

Praying in a few months I'll feel my old self again! Laid in bed with ear plugs in as it's the only way to rid myself of the weird sensations.

Shaun.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like serial acoustic traumas, with the most recent event of the tire screech setting it off again. No quick fix, but ear protection for it to calm don again. Can take weeks to months for this to improve. Be sure to avoid further noise exposure as you are clearly susceptible to getting this again.