Ear Fullness and Spikes After Ceasing Use of TMJ Guard

Discussion in 'Support' started by linearb, Mar 19, 2020.

?

Do you use a TMJ splint, and does it help?

1. I don't have TMJ

2. I think I have TMJ but I don't use a splint

3. I use a TMJ splint and it helps with TMJ symptoms but not ear symptoms

4. I use a TMJ splint and it helps with TMJ symptoms and ear symptoms, but not tinnitus

5. I use a TMJ splint and it helps with tinnitus along with TMJ symptoms

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

This doesn't concern me at all but I am saying it for the benefit of @PeteJ, @JohnAdams and other people I know have TMJ concerns on here.

I always sleep with a TMJ splint; have for years. Recent insanity around my job and COVID-19, has my sleep messed and I've gone a full week without the splint.

For the past two days I have been waking up with ear "stuffiness", which clears with chewing and pseudoephedrine. This morning, my ears were also really crackly (much more than usual), and, I had some short but piercing tones in one ear.

I will obviously be sleeping with my ($1700!) guard again starting tonight, but I just wanted to mention this because:
      * my TMJ was somewhat handled with stretching and a split
      * I stopped doing the splint and stretches
      * within a week, my ears were "stuffy" bordering on "blocked", crackling more, and I am getting blaring fleeting tinnitus on waking
      * I had no other noise exposure, etc during this time (haven't even run a car engine barely, COVID-19 shit).

If you have tinnitus and ear symptoms and untreated TMJ, treat your TMJ.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck + ETD
      I do wonder if there's any likelihood I also have TMJ. Mostly because I

A) Clench my teeth all the time. I try not to but if I don't actively make myself not do it, I do it.
      B) Popping/crackling of the jaw to an almost absurd amount. Also, when I feel for the movement with my finger, right side feels very off.
      C) Pretty sure my jaw deviates to the left when I open it.

And of course the bloody tinnitus. Right now there's just no way for me to see a dentist as they're running on emergency cases only, and I'm not insured for any dental work either...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Clenching all the time can, I think, mess with bloodflow and the ability of the e-tubes to drain, especially if you lock them shut in your sleep. I think this is why a bite guard helps me.

You could try a much cheaper night guard from a pharmacy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Shaqz

Shaqz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The right side of my jaw pops when I chew but doesn’t really bother me, what bothers me is when I swallow it crunches or when I move it certain positions which is also accompanied with mild pain... Could this cause my ototoxic induced tinnitus to become worse? If so, is a splint really enough to cure this thing?

5. Selah1281

Selah1281 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Somewhat related to this thread...

I use a splint. In October I had a middle fossa craniotomy to have an osteoma removed from my internal auditory canal (in hopes of tinnitus improvement or cessation). I feel that the procedure altered my bite from effects of the incision (closure and scar tissue).

So now I basically have a custom splint that no longer matches the bite pattern I had. I haven’t had any worsening of tinnitus from it, but I developed TTTS symptoms within a month or so or the surgery and I wonder if they may be related. Prior to the surgery I rarely had ear fullness anymore. Now it’s a daily occurrence. I also have mild distortion in my right ear when the fullness occurs. This is when I first noticed the fluttering reaction of the tensor tympani to my hyperacusis sensitive frequencies. I’ve developed lots of ear pain and tenderness. I really haven’t had pain and tenderness since 1-2 months of acquiring tinnitus till this recent flare-up. Also, I’ve had ear pressurization issues since developing tinnitus, but they’ve increased substantially in this same period.

I can’t really afford to have a new splint made right now. Sleeping without it definitely causes issues though.