Earplugs a Must for Movies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I'm going to my first movie since this started. I did buy some sound reducing ear plugs to take with me.. My question is, is it best to wear the plugs regardless of how my T is reacting to the movies? Or is it safe to not wear them unless I find the volume bothersome? I don't want to make anything worse..

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Natalie,
      I just pop them in and relax and watch the movie instead of wondering wich sound is loud..popcorn and drinks too.
      have fun...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dave111
      Transparent

Dave111 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Makeing music in band and headphone on to long.
      Iam still playing with my band but with ear plugs now ofcourse i would be terrified without. So thats around 100db 1 time in 2 weeks the movie shall be way less loud so with it shall not get worse with earplugs i think. I got a db app on my phone can be usefull.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You betcha.

I'm making plans on seeing Star Wars on the 17th. I'm already prepared with my plugs. If I feel the floor rumbling I'm outta there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We are going to see 'Secret in her eyes' so I don't anticipate anything super loud but am nervous to make my T worse. I had two great days where the volume was almost non existent and it's back up pretty noticeable today so I'm just a little worried. It's my first time using the sound reducing plugs. They just came in the mail so I hope they fit and work..

6. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      There was only one time in my life I found the volume in a theater bothersome, and that was well before I had T.

I don't wear them in the theater, I've never had a spike from movies.

YMMV, so wouldn't hurt to keep them in your pocket just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I wear earplugs all the time, so I don't have to monitor the sound all the time. Just plug in and forget about it. I'm also going to Star Wars on 17th, Maybe if the theater catches fire I'll get up and leave, if not, earplugs all the time :D

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Natalie,

I always take my earplugs with me when I go to a movie. As soon as the trailers come on, I put them in. Then, when the feature film starts, I take them out if it is not a loud movie. The last movie I saw was "Brooklyn". The trailers were noisy, but the movie wasn't.

I've been to a number of movies since my tinnitus worsened, and I have never had a problem. Just keep those ear plugs handy, and enjoy the movie!

• Like Like x 1
    9. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'd do the opposite... Put in the earplugs before the movie (or any other event) starts. Only take them out once you're pretty sure it's not going to be loud and the movie's volume is so low that it bothers you.

10. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      The problem with phone apps that measure dB is also that they usually have a low upper limit. My Samsung S6 tops at 87dB and won't register higher.

I'm using this app:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound&hl=en

And it says:
      "REMEMBER!! The built-in microphones were aligned to human voice (300-3400Hz, 40-60dB). Therefore the maximum values are LIMITED by the hardware limitation, and very loud sound(100+ db) cannot be recognized. Moto Droid (max.100), Galaxy S3 (81dB), Galaxy Note (91dB), Galaxy S2 (98dB)..."

• Like Like x 1
    11. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      As far as movie volume goes, there is a great difference among both theaters and movies. Also, there are great differences in the tolerance levels of the people on this forum. So only you can make this decision.

If you explain your situation, theater staff will let you into a movie in progress, so you can see how loud it is in advance.

Wait until the previews are finished before you go in; they are usually vastly louder than the feature. And the previews often utilize surround-sound speakers around the theater.

The problem with movies today is that there are much louder volume swings than you'll ever experience at home with your TV, so it can catch you off guard. And you have no remote control at the movie. I recently checked the decibel level of only the dialogue of a movie at the back row of a theater. This was the "quietest" part of the movie, and it was the equivalent of my home TV turned up "all the way".

Just trying to emphasize that you do really need to be prepared.

If you go to a movie based at an Italian vinyard, starring an elderly cast, you'll be much better off than at a movie where space ships and planets are exploding and shaking the theater for two hours.

Also, the small home town theaters tend to have more reasonable volumes than the big multiplex theaters.

An interesting aside: A theater near me keeps the volume quite low, and the manager told me that if it ever gets too loud, to let them know right away. They also have free ear plugs. The theater is usually full from morning through the late show, and it is one of the largest-grossing theaters in the U.S.

• Like Like x 3
    12. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yesss always wear earplugs in places with 80db and up. it took two hours in 85 dB to give me mine and a movie theaters can be louder. To be fair I had a viral infections 2 weeks previously to the trauma which may had predisposed me . I just will not risk it again everything over 80 in they go.

• Like Like x 1
    13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Bring some just in case. I keep a few pairs in my glove box at all time just in case I forget them.

Not all movies need it. Sometimes, the previews are way louder than the actual movie. Previews are always too loud. There have been times, I wore them during previews but took them out for movie. You can use a smartphone app to gauge loudness and then determine if you need plugs or not. Or if it is just too loud, plug your ears

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The movie was extremely loud. It seemed like the volume was turned way up but my boyfriend said it sounded normal to him. I think its just because my ears are extremely sensitive to noise. I ended up leaving the plugs in the entire movie and was grateful I had them..

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up using the ear plugs at dinner also because it was EXTREMELY loud there as well. Almost a bar atmosphere and I was really nervous. I was glad I had the plugs!

16. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I don't like to eat with the plugs on. Seems to magnify my own chewing. :sick:

17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Me too @Zug..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh yeah, it was very strange. Especially crunchy foods.. But it was so loud in there!

• Like Like x 1
    19. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

@Natalie Roberts I'm going to the movies again today, wearing plugs all the time since I expect "In the heart of the sea" to have some noise in it (no spoilers please). I only miss eating popcorn. It's too weird having those with plugs in.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope you enjoy it. I can't go to the movies and NOT eat popcorn, even if it sounds weird!

21. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Natalie,
      Did things sound loud to you in restaurants and movies earlier in life, or did this just recently start with the T?

Do you know the cause of your T?

22. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Absolutely!!! Earplugs always with you.

• Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've never had a problem with loud noise/resturants or movies before. Since the T started my ears just seem to be way overly sensitive to sound. I would have been comfortable when we went to dinner without the plugs as it wasn't causing any flair ups of my T or pain to my ears I was just nervous it would damage them. I'm trying to avoid making it worse! The movies were a little loud and I did find comfort in the ear plugs that time.

They said my T is either "mild hearing loss in the high upper ranges" (just discovered via audiogram) or pregnancy induced. They also said they were hopeful it would improve after birth of the baby (in about 7 weeks). I've never been around excessive noise for long periods of time, not a lot of concerts, etc. So, i'm just not sure..

24. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Recent medications?

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The only medication I was using was benadryl to help me sleep 1-2 25mg tablets a night (maybe 5 nights total over 2 weeks) and once or twice I took 1 tylenol PM 500mg all around the time this started. I did realize the benadryl was expired after taking it a few times so I freaked out and bought new benadryl thinking this may have been cause but the ENT didn't think so, she said it just wouldn't be a potent.. I have used both medications in the past in pregnancy with no problems. I also was seeing a chiropractor around the time this started and he did adjust my neck once but I don't know if there was a direct correlation there. I can't remember exactly when it started vrs the adjustment.. I have since switched chiropractor's and the new one said it would be rare for an adjustment to cause permenant T.

I have had bouts of ringing in my ear prior to this but they always went away after a few minutes. When this started up this time, it was for a few hours one evening (longest period so far) and was gone by the morning. Then a few days later it came back and hasn't fully gone away since then.

I also should mention I was under a great deal of anxiety around the time this started due to unexplained chest pains/palpitations that no one could tell me the cause. Also, my mother passed in January so it's been a rough year for me. I work full time as a 911 operator (using a headset) and someone in this group suggested the headset usage could also cause T. I've been doing it for 10 years now.. My ENT was doubtful that was the cause but she basically blew me off after 10 minute appointment.

I've literally racked my brain as to what I could've done to cause this :( those are all my ideas..

26. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Natalie,

Since you can't pinpoint an obvious insult to your hearing, your case sounds similar to other people who've had their central auditory gain suddenly increase (for unknown reasons), which greatly amplifies head sounds, like tinnitus.

The tinnitus you're hearing now may have been there already, but you couldn't hear it--until your brain cranked up the volume and made you sensitive. So now, with the volume of your brain on high, you're suddenly hearing everything louder--the movies, the crowd in the restaurant, grocery freezers, your tinnitus--all things that were there before, but that you never really noticed. It's just one of the variations of hyperacusis that some people get.

Hypothetically, if your brain turns up its perceived volume by ten decibels, your formerly quiet head will suddenly expose all kinds of internal noises, and a garbage truck will sound like the end of the world.

As bad as it sounds, I hope that's the case for you, because if your brain eventually turns down its volume on the world, it may well turn down the volume of the tinnitus along with it.

I can't speak about the possibility of your work headset as a contributor (but I wouldn't doubt it). However, if you had just been to a rock concert, or had taken a poisonous drug, it would be cause for concern. But the cases like yours--in which the hyperacusis comes from nowhere, for no apparent reason--seem most likely to resolve over time. I sincerely hope you are one of the lucky ones.

In any event, if it goes away for you, be sure to avoid loud noise and heavy medications--forever. Your experience may be a warning that you are susceptible.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I really, really, really appreciate your take on this.. I'm just so baffled and confused as to what happened inside my head to make this problem start. Initially I experienced extreme panic attacks, heavy anxiety and pretty negative thoughts. This lasted for the first 3 weeks or so until I found this website and started seeing a psychotherapist for meditation. Since then, I still hear the T and H and do get anxiety because of it but for the most part, most days I am able to control my anxiety/panic and handle the noise okay which I think is GREAT given the fact that this can take much longer for some people to be able to accomplish.. Of course there are days when my anxiety wins, but usually I only let that happen for a brief period before gaining control again..

I've never heard of what you're describing but am hoping that it continues to get much better as time goes on and after baby is born. I will take this as a warning for sure! So far I've been working on changing my lifestyle to be more conductive to healthy living. A lot of my issues have been stress induced and so for me, working on lowering stress levels seems to be helping. I bought my little ear plugs that I plan to use now and in the future. I also plan to preach to my kids when they get older to avoid loud noises/medications as this has been an awful period in my life I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Thank you again, I think you're post has given me more hope.. Everytime someone tells me it may improve with time I really grasp onto that and it helps me get through my not-so good days. :)

big hugs to you, friend.

28. Guest9201

Guest9201 Guest

I use cheap downbeats. Think they are -19dB. Have them on my keychain so always with me. Dont use them much but good to have with you.

I never plug my ears completely like foam plugs, Sound needs to come through clearly. Just lowers the volume a bit.

I am in the middle of a spike and depression but still gonna go and see starwars. I know the sound wont harm me. Unless i make it worse with my anxiety.

• Like Like x 1