Earplugs for MRI?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rina, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I have an MRI next week... Should I wear ear plugs or they will protect my ears there? Does it make a difference? Will my T get worse if I dont? I never had an MRI before help!

2. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Rina I wore earplugs when I got mine and they did offer me headphones to cancel out the noise, it had no effect on my T :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Pilot
      Mellow

Pilot Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had an MRA and I'm glad I wore ear plugs (foam). They offered a headset to play music but I'm glad I wore the plugs because it is loud and takes about 30'. No effect on my T.

4. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      No effect here either. Wore earplugs for all mri's and mra's.

5. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

You usually get earmuffs, but you can wear those on top of your earplugs if you feel safer :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      How long does the MRI last? I'm claustrophobic and I must have a MRI and mra. Doctor prescribed volium for me to take so I'm relaxed. Is this medication good ? Will it really help my fear of closed in places? I can picture crawling out of this machine every time the technician walks away to start the test

7. Karengals
      Anime

Karengals Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How was your MRI
      I have one coming up and am scared too

8. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      The duration of the MRI depends on what they're scanning for. I had an MRI of my head done which took about 30 minutes. I've had an MRI done twice after getting my T and was fine using my earplugs from home.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      CAT scan is quieter.

10. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had two MRIs... and yes it is loud. I had them both when I had H. so it was uncomfortable for me but I was ok after it was done. I had the foam ear plugs and the headset they gave me. Hope all goes well for you. Open MRI was a better choice for me when I had to go for the second MRI.

11. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      I've had two MRIs and I've worn my pwn earplugs both times. I elect not to have their music blaring down the headphones but still are required to wear them so they can speak to you. I didn't find the mri machine to be loud. Good luck

12. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There is a huge difference in volume when it comes to different MRI machines. The older models are incredibly loud and then there are new ones with >30 dB less noise. If you need to take MRI, I'd suggest insisting on getting it with machine that is as quiet as possible.

I should go take one in the upcoming months as well, but it's been really hard to get any kind of information from the public healthcare, when it comes to the actual decibels the machine chosen produces. I am considering private health care now, since they supposedly have quieter options - it's just damned expensive.

The risk of getting worse tinnitus from MRI is terrifying... I can't imagine the amount of regret if I chose to go there and then come out more damaged. The volume can peak at 120 dB and that would be way too much for me, even with earplugs. My tinnitus is still at a very vulnerable stage and even >70 decibels can flare it up at times. The last spike (perhaps permanent one at that, since it's been over a month) I got was from going to see the latest Star Wars movie and I wore a good pair of earplugs!

So I really don't think my ears can handle noise right now, it's really a tricky situation. I am not even sure why I got an invitation to MRI, since my tinnitus was clearly triggered by acoustic trauma and isn't unilateral.