Earplugs for Sports?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Any such thing? I have stopped playing many sports I enjoy becasue of the noise, especially hockey. I have tried to wear musicians ear plugs and they seem to fall out due to perspiration and general movement. I'm also worried about having them knocked into my ear on contact.

With tinnitus all I want to do is play sports, keeps my mind busy. On the other hand I don't want to cause any more damage.

Maybe I need custom ear plugs?

Any suggestions ?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I talked to a friend, think I am going to have custom ones made. I find the foam or musician plugs move around too much. Even when I'm out at a pub or whatever.

3. Deanna

Deanna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have the same question. I ride a bike and I live near water (bay) and there is a lot of head wind so the sound in my ears is pretty loud. I am wondering if this will make things worse. I agree with you, it is a coping mechanism for me and I would hate to stop. What do people do when they are in situations like this? I am so grateful I have a place to ask questions!

4. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      When I run on a treadmill, which is loud, I take 1 of the yellow foam 3M earplugs, cut it in half, and place one in each ear. It attenuates sound significantly, but allows me to hear very well (the TV, for example). They do not come out during 40+ minute runs.

You might want to try that. After a few uses, throw them away and use the other half of the pair.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I dont think you have much to worry about with the wind, i mean i know its noise and can probably cause damage but i tend to just love the wind against my ears it feels good plus its a good masker if you have moderate to loud T ive heard. If your worried just get ear plugs for wind or something ive seen them around.

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Custom seem better for any situation, i need to get around to gettin some also.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I agree, think wind is fine. I like it too! Kills the T!

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I feel like bikeriding is like one the best things to do with T cause your out and about and it distracts you cause you always need to be aware of your surroundings when biking
      And watching for morons driving, and again the wind blowin in your face/ears... Sounds as good as sailing.. Plus you can really go fast and just let go (not litterly lol) and enjoy the moment!!!! And i agree sports also is a great distraction.. I love baseball and tennis and some
      Forris gump style ping pong too lol keeps your minddd in the gameee:)

• Like Like x 1
    9. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Foam ear plugs should be fine, when I first got T I carried on playing rugby, which is a major contact sport, and never had any problems with them falling out.

Rich

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Hello, I am a very competitive baseball player and I am around loud crowds/ loud music everyday, ( our stadium plays very loud music btw), and have never had any change in t. When I come home from a game my t is generally lower. My take on this is I think wearing earplugs in sports is very unnecessary and probably not very healthy, because when you sweat all the grime and shit would get stuck in the ear and cause possible ear infections. My opinion anyway. Don't give up what you love, it is too easy to let t ruin the things you love to do, on the field I forget I even have it. Seriously. Because it is more important than ringing in my ears.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I agree, a lot is more important than ringing but I have to be careful. I swear my T spiked over and over while getting out and playing hockey etc.

I want to continue with life (do thkngs I love) but at the same time I don't want to suffer anymore.

12. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      It's not unusual for you t to spike after physical activity, that's the case for many. But it is something you would have to get used to, and I bet if you keep sticking with it you won't even notice the spikes as much.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah for sure... I get ridiculous spikes after weight training especially. I breath perfectly while lifting, nothing I can do to stop it. But, sure feels good after I get a hard workout in. I miss it so much!!

Sounds like you are a pro athlete ? For me, it's all for fun, and to push myself personally, so I don't know if I should be pushing like I used to(as it just for fun).

14. Deanna

Deanna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks Grace. I agree its wonderful not to hear any noise but the wind for awhile.