Ears Irritated by Earplugs: Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Apr 12, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My ears are irritated by my earplugs.

Yet another problem. There is redness in the area where they stick out. Near the tragus but across from it. The earplug end covers that area when worn. I am wondering if it's from how I'm pulling them out?

I need a primer I guess?!? Please advise! Will it heal? What can I do?!?

If I give the ear plugs a rest, then what? I have uncomfortable Peltor X4A muffs I was only putting on occasionally and for short periods of time.

I don't want to make the condition worse. My right ear is more irritated than the left. I was going to take vitamin E but I need some other ideas. Should I see a doctor? I think a doctor will just say not to wear plugs.

Please help? Doesn't this happen to anyone else here? :-(

Not another problem
      :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Totally sucks, but need to stop the earplugs and let the irritation heal. Yes, you will need to wear the ear muffs until it gets better. The x4 peltor are kind of big and bulky, and consider a different pair and style. I bought a lower profile one as I was concerned with the comfort.

This may have happened as the earplugs are not fitting properly, or the insertion. Consider a lower pressure plug when this has healed. Also, take breaks from wearing them, and do not wear then for too long.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and should not replace your own doctors advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      This could also be more than just a local irritation, and be an external ear infection, so this should get looked at by your doctor to determine what further treatment may be needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You bought which ones? Is the nrr profile sufficient? I need to find the balance between comfort and effectiveness.

I am having trouble finding decent plugs. Most are sold in bulk and I can't trust the drug store ones. There's no way they are as advertised. I can tell it doesn't cut out as much sound.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I need to go out sometimes and need to solve this without making my ears worse.

People tell me, 'it will get better.' But, there are nothing but complications after another. I can't even go out when I want, like a normal person..

I used to go out and be happy and take my dog out. Now, I have to do all this **** with ear plugs and muffs and both seem to be causing me issues.

"It will get better." Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I need some advice. Anyone?

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I get the plugs in bulk from Amazon, but like to buy the smaller package and try them before bulking up. I like Macks Ultra Soft foam, and Howard Leight Max1.

However, I would not use earplugs until your doctor looks at this as it could be an infection.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That could be sound advice.

Go see a doctor. First to figure out if there is anything that needs to be treated in your ear canal right away, second to determine a course of action with regards to your constant use of ear protection. Your current approach could be highly counterproductive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I use them because it's noisy downtown where I am.

I got a script for ear drops. They may be ototoxic. Not sure. I haven't filled it.

I am wearing muffs which hurt my ear.

I don't know what to do. It seems hopeless. How many here protect their ears by wearing plugs or muffs?

I am screwed either way. Plugs? Irritation and inflammation. Muffs? Ear pain.

Maybe there are muffs out there which would be comfortable.

I should be able to wear ear plugs to protect while in the loud areas here? :(

10. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      I am going through a very same thing man. My ears are all iritated and inflammed from the plug usuage but i need to use them. Did you find any workaroud for this?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No, not really. I still use muffs sometimes for brief periods of time and I use Howard Laser Leight ear plugs but I can't wear them for long.

It used to be much worse though. Muffs would really hurt my ears even after 5 seconds and after taking plugs out, my ear canal area would be in a lot of pain, sometimes before I took the plugs out. Perhaps, you could look for some muffs to use for now? You could try to find softer ear plugs? What I use is the most comfortable that I could find but it's not saying much. In saying all that, I hate wearing plugs since tinnitus is not masked at all and all I am hearing is the tinnitus.

12. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      I’ve used different earplugs for 30 years and have never gotten inflammation from using them. Are your hands clean when you put the earplugs in?

Are you sticking the earplugs too far in? Could you have a skin allergy to foam or silicone like some people are allergic to latex?

13. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Thanks Pete. I am also considering Howard Laser Leight, they look soft. I only need to use them for a couple of hours a day while my commute. Which ear muffs are you using btw? The Peltor X4's?

14. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Hi. What do you mean sticking them too far in? Till where do we need to stick them? How do we know if it's too far in?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yes. But, I was told the X5A is much more comfortable. Some people think that the X4A is fine but I would pay more for the X5A if I had to buy muffs again. I ran out of money or I would have bought them even though I have the X4A.

16. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      It’s possible to stick foamies so far in that it can compact ear wax and cause discomfort.

It should be common sense... if you put them in and you feel pain, you have done something wrong.

Also your ear canal is a good place to grow bacteria... hopefully your research hands are clean.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      There are also different styles of earplugs. Some of the material is softer than others, too.

We all have different (sizes of) ear canals so you might need to experiment with various ear plugs until you find some satisfactory ones.

18. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      The Howard Leight Laser Lites are low pressure foam. They are not the highest protection against loud sounds, but they are easy to insert, and very comfortable in my experience. I use them for sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Yeah, that's what I found. The packet says it's NRR 32 though, which is actually higher than 3M 1100, but still I find 3M 1100 offer much better protection, but they are highly uncomfortable. Do you think custom made plugs (~25-26 dB) or Howard Laser Lite would be enough for daily use around moderate sounds, travelling, normal restaurants and stuff?

20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @RishRamsey

I have no direct experience with custom earplugs.

Laser Lite should be enough for daily moderate protection, or even too much. Silicone ear plugs are more 25 in most brands, and be worth exploring as well.

21. Tisyuck

Tisyuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs
      I had pain from earplugs and continued to wear them anyways which was a big mistake because it led to a host of ear problems including earache, Eustachian tube dysfunction, tinnitus, and choronic soreness/pain.