Ebola

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cor, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Dan, I don't want to continue to argue as it appears that it has just brought out results that I was never intending. But I don't feel that I am picking on those who suffer more than I do. Disagree, perhaps, but not picking on them.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm just waiting 'till you leave... :whistle:

3. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I don't have to try really hard to hear it. Given I am over half deaf, it's not hard at all. Still, If I got ebola today I could be dead in a week. I'll take tinnitus because at least I can habituate to that.

Mike

4. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      nobody is picking on worse off sufferers. Shame on you for once again contributing to negative thoughts and arguing with those who won't equate tinnitus with a deadly disease. Great support.

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I see world war III has erupted on TT again - but at least it is not TRT or LLLT that is the point of focus this time.

I never like to "compare" diseases (ie. which is "worse" - it potentially makes a mockery out of either "side"...). I think there are objective reasons why ebola can be considered worse from a medical perspective: ebola is contagious; tinnitus is not, tinnitus is largely preventable; ebola is not. There is also the topic of perspective. Perspective could be that of the individual or from the point of view of society. The reason ebola has caught the attention of the world media is because of the danger and impact on society that ebola will have if it spreads. It will absolutely flatten the health care systems around the world - and hence putting many other patient groups at risk. And that's actually the best case scenario. Worst case, it will flatten society too. The world has not seen a true pandemic since the "1918 flu pandemic" (which killed about 75 million people over a 2 year period).

But there is also one other important difference: ebola is always an acute disease (either you die or you survive); tinnitus on the other hand can be both acute and chronic - and chronicity can make "all the difference". Perhaps the biggest failure in relation to recognizing tinnitus for what it is has to do with categorization: "tinnitus" is simply viewed as tinnitus (by the mass medical establishment) - but there is tinnitus and then there is TINNITUS. And chronic TINNITUS is a serious and unforgiving condition. Period.

But just because tinnitus is not - medically - in the same "league" as ebola, does not mean it should be underestimated. I met Dr. Wilden - the (in)famous LLLT/tinnitus expert - four times last summer. Each consultation lasted about 30-45 minutes. We mainly spoke about my own personal condition - of which I have shared a great deal on this board - but we also did discuss the topic of "tinnitus and society" a couple of times. Dr. Wilden is not just a doctor - he is also a hearing loss prevention advocate. He writes articles that are published in newsletters and magazines, he does speeches in schools, and he has also been on television. During one of my conversations with him, he mentioned that everyday in Germany, 30 school age children are fitted with hearing aids - a statistic largely attibuted to the so-called "iPod generation". That generation is now 10 years old. Right now, roughly 10% of the population is affected by tinnitus to some degree (mainly seniors). But what happens if 10% of the younger - and working - population end up with chronic tinnitus? And what if the statistic climbs to 20%? What then? In my view, tinnitus could end up becoming one of those silent diseases that fly under the radar for quite some time - only to emerge as an unstoppable pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      What started out as a simple thread ,came down to this ,all gets well out of hand ,I find it to much ,I won't continue to watch these in future ,think T is enough in my day to get on with ,Shake hands and move on .
      If needs to argue ,can you private message each other,we are after all adults on here . No one gains anything from constant to and frowing ,and who gets the upper hand .
      I feel sorry for Jeanie in this thread .

7. Agree. Thread closed.

• Agree Agree x 1