Ebola

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cor, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I just read tinnitus can be a side effect of Ebola. Ebola...

2. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      What I heard this morning on WMNF (public radio) is that a person can get ebola and in two days be dead. Now, that's frightening.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      First I've heard of that 2 days and gone,think lots countries putting a hold on travellers from Ebola outbreaks,But my husband says if there desperate to get out of these countries ,there go to a nearby country and fly out,that's scary
      All it takes is money,to get out,and who knows where they fly to,or go by boat.only takes 1 or 2 to slip the net.
      The SARS virus was the same few years back,look how many died from that.
      Don't bare thinking about but you do.not aware of the Tinnitus Cor mentioned either my oh my.

4. Berlin now....:nailbiting:

5. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If one gets Ebola then tinnitus must me the least of his/her problems.
      Ive always thought that these sort of outbreaks have to do with the rapid growth of the human race - its nature's way of trying to restore balance.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Im just baffled they even mentioned Tinnitus :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Me too. Seems that death is the far more serious side effect.

FYI, did hear a long program on this last night. It seems that while Ebola certainly is dangerous, it is not nearly as contagious as SARS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yep the rapid spreading has a lot do with not following hygiene rules. And around 40-50% of patients make it. Still horrible though...

9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I honestly don't think so. The Black Death back in the 14th century (or something like that) killed probably around half the population of Europe. Later on we had the Great Flu pandemic some 100 years ago; that killed a two-digit million figure of people (worldwide).

We simply don't see those extremely high death tolls anymore - and that's despite having by far more intercontinental travel these days (and hence increasing greatly the risk of pandemics). The latest outbreak of SARS did not even come close to those figures (around a 1000 dead, or so).

One of the great advances in reducing death toll from disease actually had nothing to do with medical progress; it was due to paving of the streets in the cities (allowing proper sewage systems). Back in those days, people would simply empty their toilet residues onto the streets (because they had nowhere else to put it) - so you can only imagine the smell :) (and corresponding sickness rates)...

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Apparently there was an Ebola-scare earlier on today in Berlin where they set up a safety perimeter so that people could not leave - but it seems they now suspect something else instead (a person collapsed in a jobcentre):

http://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/di...-auf-infektion-unwahrscheinlich-a-986966.html

I tried something similar at my workplace two years ago - where there was an anthrax scare (a letter with a white powder was found at the internal mail office - I work in a large building complex which mostly is occupied with Deutsche Bank people...), here is one of the articles concerning that incident:

http://www.lvz-online.de/leipzig/po...polizeiticker-mitteldeutschland-a-156919.html

I can actually be seen on a couple of the photos. Despite being quarantined for 3-4 hours, no one gave a shit :). We were more concerned about how to get home, having no house keys, no cars, no money, no phone, or credit cards on us (everyhing was left in the inside in the office building - and we were not allowed to access it for 72 hours...).

11. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yeah,..that's like being concerned about the deck chairs no longer being neatly lined up as the Titanic was going down....:D

Ebola is transmitted by contact and not through the air such as influenza and SARS. So, although it's very deadly it's not nearly as contagious. If it ever mutates to both a contact and airborne transmitted disease, many people will die. I think that around 50 million people died from the Flu epidemic in the early 1900's.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2014/8/10/in_depth_how_contagi.html

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      HIV/Aids still kills about 1.5 million to 2 million people a year. Thats every year. Seems like a pretty high death toll.

13. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It's high but would be much higher if it was also transmitted by air in addition to contact. The flu epidemic that I mentioned in my previous post killed more people in 24 weeks than the Aids epidemic has killed in 24 years:

http://genealogy.about.com/od/historic_disasters/p/1918_flu.htm

14. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      When I think of "the flu", my mind goes to what it was I just experienced several days ago: chills, fever, cough, congestion, strep throat, sneezing, all-over body aches, which usually lasts, for me, from four to five days, and then I'm back on my feet, wobbling a bit, but on my way to "normalcy".

The demands of my job force me, all too often, to get back to the hospital where I work to catch up on the work orders that stack up when I'm gone. Even as I sit here in my office, I'm on a Z pack, decongestant, nasal spray, and pain meds, and in responding to calls, I touch only God knows what as I walk the hallways.

Grasping everything from door knobs to hand rails, an average of 3500 patients and visitors daily enter this facility and walk the corridors suffering from all sorts of ailments, which makes me think I must have contracted the flu from touching germs left by a patient, or even a visitor.

The sort of flu that could wipe out populations in 1918 must have been without the simplest OTC meds that we have today. They must not have had Z packs, a prescription med, for sure. It's difficult to think that even if a person had strep throat along with his symptoms, like I just had, he'd get over it with some sort of concoction they had back then for an antibiotic. Or were they still pretty much in the dark regarding what we now take for granted?

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Here's what I found on the treatment of the flu epidemic of 1918. I could have merely added the link, but thought it interesting enough to highlight the materials used.

Treatment and Therapy
      The therapeutic remedies for influenza patients varied from the newly developed drugs to oils and herbs. The therapy was much less scientific than the diagnostics , as the drugs had no clear explanatory theory of action. The treatment was largely symptomatic, aiming to reduce fever or pain. Aspirin, or acetylsalicylic acid was a common remedy. For secondary pneumonia doses of epinephrin were given. To combat the cyanosis (blue or purple discoloration of the skin caused by lack of oxygen) physicians gave oxygen by mask or some injected it under the skin (JAMA, 10/3/1918).

Others used salicin which reduced pain, discomfort and fever and claimed to reduce the infectivity of the patient. Another popular remedy was cinnamon in powder or oil form with milk to reduce temperature (BMJ, 10/19/1918). Finally, salt of quinine was suggested as a treatment. Most physicians agreed that the patient should be kept in bed (BMJ, 7/13/1918). With that was the advice of plenty of fluids and nourishment. The application of cold to the head, with warm packs or warm drinks was also advised. Warm baths were used as a hydrotherapeutic method in hospitals but were discarded for lack of success (JAMA, 10/3/1918). These treatments, like the suggested prophylactic measures of the public health officials, seemed to originate in the common social practices and not in the growing field of scientific medicine. It seems that as science was entering the medical field, it served only for explanatory, diagnostic and preventative measures such as vaccines and technical tests. This science had little use once a person was ill.

However, a few proposed treatment did incorporate scientific ideas of germ theory and the immune system. O'Malley and Hartman suggested to treat influenza patients with the serum of convalescent patients. They utilize the theorized antibodies to boost the immune system of sick patients. Other treatments were "digitalis," the administration of isotonic glucose and sodium bicarbonate intravenously which was done in military camps (JAMA, 1/4/1919).

16. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Hi User,sorry to hear you've been unwell,pretty poorly by all accounts ,hope on mend soon,you dosed yourself up good,everything bar the kitchen sink ,as we say here.
      Think hospitals are a good source to picking things up,your right there.
      Times I've been sat in a hospital,seen people walk in,and never go near the hygiene dispensers,that's provided,there all over hospitals,don't see these people wearing dark glasses,so I know there not blinking blind.
      Another subject that ticks me off.
      Do you get a meal at work ?
      Think years ago,they went to Herbalist as my old grandad was,no antibiotics back then to speak of,think that's why we live longer,antibiotics,but having said that,even there having little use,as to there over use,now that's scary,if they can't come up with new.
      Weekends here so couple days indoors get yourself well,and forget the job,well for couple days.Takecare

17. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      with ebola starting to spread, it seems like researchers are working quickly to try and come up with something to help these people. i understand this is very different than tinnitus, but why are we struggling to try and get something done to at least help reduce the noise for us?? i know people say tinnitus doesnt kill and is just a symptom, but for those of us that have it bad,,,, well... yes it does kill... emotionally and spiritually, mentally and even physically. it also causes a host of other problems to go wrong with our bodies. anxiety. panic. depression which in turn can wreck havic on us... really wish they would please hurry and help us!

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Jeannie, I totally agree. Unfortunately we are at the bottom of the totem pole...

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If Ebola took 20-30 years to kill you and it cannot spread by contact and only 2% of afflicted will die, then I am sure they would take their time to cure it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      You know why?
      Because Tinnitus doesn't have the capability of wiping out humanity.
      While I agree about so little being done for Tinnitus, and that it is a shitty condition, Tinnitus can't wipe out a country.
      As for Tinnitus, a cure will come.
      5 years 10 years 15 years 20 years.
      A cure will come along.
      Everyday someone can accidentally find it, the dude who found Penicillin found it by accident, just imagine there's a village somewhere in the mountains of who knows where, where they have a plant or something that cures ear ringing.
      A cure will be found, especially now that everyone's using headphones and stuff, just a matter of time before Tinnitus numbers double, then they'll sure as hell find a cure.
      Right now I'm just focusing on Habituation, mine luckily seems to be going away, it's not sensitive as I can attend gigs with earphones with no side effect.
      Only thing that's bothering me is some anxiety caused sound sensitivity which'll probably go in a couple of months along with Tinnitus.
      Anyway fuck me, I just wanted to say that even though Tinnitus can be horrible, it can't kill millions of people.
      A cure will be found sooner or later, I'd say sooner looking at how medicine is advancing, everyday new breakthroughs one of these days there's going to be a Tinnitus breakthrough and we'll all be laughing our way to the Tinnitus clinic for pills,drugs,treatments whatever it turns out to be.

21. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I wonder if the so called solution will be ototoxic? Would anyone here take a vaccination (when it's available) if this ebola situation got worse?

22. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Seriously, I know what you're trying to say, but Ebola is so much worse that tinnitus shouldn't even be compared at all.

23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I love it when doctors deny any wrongdoing to a patient...

rosana Says:
      December 9th, 2013 at 7:21 pm
      I had a flue shot this year (Oct 2013). Four hours later when I laid down to sleep, i felt a rush of anxiety come over my body and my ears suddenly began to ring loudly. I was ill and vomiting most of the night. I went to my GP the next day – ears still ringing. She said it could not have been the flu shot and basically gave me no help. I left. Three months later – my ears are still ringing. She’s fired!

http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/are-flu-shots-ototoxic.php

24. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If you had tinnitus like Craig did (rip), I would want to hear your reaction.

25. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well...you don't have severe T by the sounds of it and you don't have ebola, so who are you to determine what is worse?

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Have you ever been hit in the head with a sledgehammer or had a handful of monkey feces thrown at you? No? Then how can you determine which would be worse?

Obviously we don't have to experience everything to know what would be worse.

27. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Never taking a vaccine AGAIN!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    28. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Oh sure, I'm not saying extreme tinnitus doesn't suck. You guys are acting like because I said Ebola is way worse, that must mean I think tinnitus is a walk through the park. I don't think that at all.

Just as I think Ebola is way worse than HIV, but that I no way implies that I think HIV is harmless.

29. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I am NOT determining which is worse...YOU ARE!

And you can't possibly do that! You don't know..and I don't know. Pretty arrogant to run around making statements like one is worse than the other. Who are are to say?

30. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Yep, and as I've already explained, I don't need to have severe tinnitus and Ebola to determine that Ebola is worse.