Ebola

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cor, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      sorry to even bring this thread up.... and as far as Craig goes, he stated a week before killing himself that we are to make sure everyone knows that tinnitus killed him NOT depression if something were to happen to him ... .... but im just saying I understand the many deaths ebola can and has killed , not comparing them, just wondering why so quickly can a drug be made for it and we struggle and suffer. I mean if we have to take a drug for the rest of our lives just to keep it low so we can live normal, I would in a minute (if no severe side effects) and drug companies are going to make money if that were the case... I don't know what to think anymore, I just know that 2014, we shouldn't be suffering with this condition!

2. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Its not a conspiracy theory there is a lot of truth to it. Just look underneath the Media B.S. and you will see.

Example
      In the 1960s, another nonexistent threat – this time from Vietnam – was fabricated to drag the US into full-scale war against that country. A fake Vietnamese attack on America, the famous Gulf of Tonkin Incident, was arranged.

This is just one of the many examples showing that media-hyped public hysteria is almost always in service to a hidden agenda.

What might be the hidden agenda of the Ebola scare?

Researcher Anne Sullivan argues that an orchestrated Ebola outbreak in America could be used to "create a level six pandemic emergency that includes mandated vaccines.

3. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Did I ever say that this is easy for me or for you? No. Once again, you seem to be taking the extreme. You seem to think that because I believe Ebola is worse than tinnitus, that must mean that I think that tinnitus is easy. That's not at all what I said.

4. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      So I guess according to your reasoning no one can determine that severe tinnitus is worse than a runny nose. After all, it's all about individual experience, right? Who knows, maybe a runny nose just drives some people to the brink insanity. Otherwise, if you think severe tinnitus is worse than a runny nose, then you're making a judgment call and could be downplaying someone's individual suffering.

Not only that, but it doesn't help our case for scientific researchers with finding a cure for tinnitus. Because who are we to say that tinnitus is worse than any other condition and should be getting attention?

5. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Oh right, so you calling me arrogant and claiming I have a God-complex isn't insulting?

We're all looking for support. That's why I'm here. But, once again, you seem to have a polarized thinking process in your mind: you seem to think that if I claim that something else is worse than tinnitus, then that must mean that I think tinnitus is easy. That isn't even remotely the case. Yes, tinnitus sucks. But that doesn't mean I can't think something else is worse.

A kick to the face sucks. But I won't pretend it is as bad as getting hit in the face by a baseball bat. I wouldn't want either one, but if I had the choice between the two, I'd take the kick. Yes, tinnitus does suck. But if I had the choice between tinnitus or Ebola, I'd take tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I would take a drug in a heartbeat if it could get rid of tinnitus and it didn't have any side-effects that could be worse than tinnitus.

As for why, there could be a lot of reasons. Sense of urgency being one of them. Another could be that we know exactly what we're up against with Ebola. We can actually see Ebola in a microscope and see what it does. We cannot see tinnitus. A major part of tinnitus is that doctor's and researchers have to take the patient's word for it. And then the possibility that tinnitus is actually in the brain also makes it harder to cure as the brain is so complex.

Though tinnitus may seem harmless compared to something like Ebola, that doesn't mean it is easier to cure or understand. In fact, if there is one thing that can make tinnitus worse than anything else is that it is so subjective that it defies the ability for a doctor to look at something and say, "Yep, you have tinnitus."

7. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      There will never be a "universal cure" but there will be treatments.
      Treatments to with time "cure" noise induced by something for instance brain stimulation or stem cell therapy
      Treatments for random without a reason Tinnitus
      Treatments for some other Tinnitus.

8. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh and like the dude said, Ebola is easy to cure you know what you're dealing with.
      Tinnitus can be in the brain, in the ears, might be because it's just like that, or because people who have it have something else.
      There are hundreds of possibilities.
      That's why there will never be a universal cure.
      There will be treatments for different kinds.
      Like I said for ears the most likely is hair cell regrowth-no more bad cells firing off randomly-no more Tinnitus.
      For random it can be brain surgery or some herb or something else.
      There will be treatments sure, you can't look at the progress humanity has made in 20? years and say that there will never be anything that can remove ones Tinnitus, that's just downright pessimistic and untrue.

9. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      The reason we are suffering is because the "old school" has been stuck in the same mud for decades now.
      They are telling us to get over it, to learn to live with it, it's just a harmless sound, it's our reaction... yeah right???
      How would they make money out of us?
      Imagine all the TRT, neuromonics, audiologists, psychologist, psychiatrist, ENTs, general doctors.... how much money they would loose???
      My life is ruined, not to mention the toll it has taken on my family.
      My girls and husband certainly don't deserve the life they have because of me.
      At the age of 41 I should be enjoying my best years but instead I keep wishing I'm dead.
      And how is that for "living with it?"

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      The apacolypse is coming.. Ebolas spreading

11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Haha. Wow your argument is getting weak! But yes if people were actually suffering from this I would agree, I couldn't make the call what is worse. I might have my opinions about it, but I sure wouldn't run around shooting my mouth of on stuffy nose forums making statements like they are facts (although somehow I think you would be) And telling them to "get over it". And yeah, if there are millions debilitated by this stuffy nose syndrome who am I to say what is worse.

You have taken this thread into the land of ridiculousness. Nice work

12. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      All with your help. Nice to see that you're downplaying the potential sufferings of people with runny noses. Your arrogance runs over.

Also, the argumentation seems to have gone over your head. You said it is all based on the individual experience. How do you know someone isn't suffering really really badly with a runny nose? Just because he doesn't have the numbers that tinnitus sufferers do, doesn't mean he suffers any less. If this sound ridiculous, well, I hate to tell you this, but it is your argument essentially... and it sure does sound silly, doesn't it?

And, btw, I never said to "get over it" with your tinnitus.

13. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was a really bad move starting this thread dude xD

14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Mattk and Michael2013, I really think you should check you attitude at the door.
      If a sufferer feels he needs to compare his suffering to something bad, then its his/her right to do so, and its not your place to question that or dismiss it.
      Valeri is right, its because of attitudes like yours that we do not have a cure for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
    15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      How did I downplay it? I specifically said "who am I to say which is worse". Remember everything is in text here. You can't just make shit up like you keep doing.

16. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Sure sounds like you're downplaying it to me: just because there aren't millions suffering doesn't mean that the few who may think it sucks to have that condition don't think it is worse. Or does this now go beyond individual experience and now it depends on the "numbers"?

17. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Dan, once again, I'm not trying to say tinnitus isn't bad. It is. I just don't see how it can be compared to Ebola.

18. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes numbers are important...if there are zero people effected by something it means nothing. How is this complicated for you?

19. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      My attitude is just fine, it just seems to have gone over your head. The OP was referring to tinnitus as a whole, not referring specifically and only to her own suffering.

If it's the attitude of not letting tinnitus keep me beaten down and not living life that keeps us from a cure, so be it. And I haven't dismissed anybody's personal suffering. A few of you just don't like to hear the idea that tinnitus isn't seen by everyone as worst affliction on earth. The fact is that tens of millions of people have non bothersome tinnitus and live completely happy lives. And here we are taking the worst of 1% of that population and trying to compare all of tinnitus to something like ebola. It makes no sense to me. Sorry if that bothers you and keeps you from a cure.

Given a choice today of ebola or tinnitus, I will take tinnitus every time. And so will 99% of people.

-Mike

20. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok I'll tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to explain it to you 1 last time.
      OK you know there is such horrible chronic suffering in this world.
      Suffering that makes you wish for death, but won't kill you in due time.
      These people many times pray for death.
      Since you asked. Google Hector Dietrich. He hung himself in the woods due to severe Hyperacusis and tinnitus.
      Before he died he left a note: Play the song at my funeral "One", by Metallica.
      Here are the lyrics to that song-
      Metallica – One Lyrics
      I can't remember anything
      Can't tell if this is true or dream
      Deep down inside I feel to scream
      This terrible silence stops me

Now that the war is through with me
      I'm waking up, I cannot see
      That there is not much left of me
      Nothing is real but pain now

Hold my breath as I wish for death
      Oh please, God, wake me

Back to the womb that's much too real
      In pumps life that I must feel
      But can't look forward to reveal
      Look to the time when I'll live

Fed through the tube that sticks in me
      Just like a wartime novelty
      Tied to machines that make me be
      Cut this life off from me

Oh please, God, wake me

Now the world is gone, I'm just one
      Oh God, help me
      Oh please, God, help me

Darkness imprisoning me
      All that I see
      Absolute horror
      I cannot live
      I cannot die
      Trapped in myself
      Body my holding cell

Landmine has taken my sight
      Taken my speech
      Taken my hearing
      Taken my arms
      Taken my legs
      Taken my soul
      Left me with life in hell

------------
      So, Ebola=death
      but so did severe Tinnitus and Hyperacusis to some people.

Now please I beg you , cease and desist from confronting severe sufferers with your banter.

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011

Michael be careful what you wish for mate!
      What you said is overly optimistic! I would also choose tinnitus if I had some little " have to try really hard to hear" sound going on, but.... there is tinnitus and there is TINNITUS!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Ok Telis, obviously we're only aggravating others on here, which is something I never wished to do. I'll never be convinced that tinnitus is as bad as Ebola (which btw, if you saw one of my previous posts, hearing loss is a symptom of Ebola, and we all know what is a symptom of hearing loss) and though we could continue to argue, I think it is obvious it is causing more harm than good. And again, that was never my intention.

23. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Valeri, so you know, I can hear my tinnitus over almost everything. Sometimes (but usually not) even while taking a shower. Yes, it absolutely sucks. But I don't know how many times I can say it, just because it sucks, that doesn't mean there isn't anything worse.

And btw, did you know that one of the symptoms of Ebola is hearing loss which is also a cause of tinnitus? Ebola doesn't take you gracefully.

24. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Dan, I really don't understand what the point of your post is, because I already understand that tinnitus, hyperacusis, and any other hearing symptoms suck. I, myself, was feeling suicidal for the longest time when my tinnitus first started. I completely relate to how someone could go down that way of thinking.

But the thing I keep saying over and over, that seems to just get unnoticed, is that I am not saying tinnitus isn't bad. Of course it is, otherwise I and others like yourself wouldn't be here. But, that doesn't mean tinnitus is as bad as something like Ebola. You can't habituate to Ebola. You can't even decide your own fate with Ebola; those who committed suicide from tinnitus, no doubt I can't even comprehend how much suffering they were going through. But at least they got to have some level of control of how they go. Ebola doesn't allow you to have that. Ebola decides to take you on its terms. Yes, both can lead to death. But not all deaths are equal.

And, I've decided not to continue arguing with Telis since it is obviously upsetting to him, me, and others on here.

25. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well first of all , im not a dude, and dtwould be debate. I didn't start it for that! thought I could post my feelings but guess not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Is this meant for me? I didn't call you a dude, I don't think.

And I did answer your question. Though it may seem like if we can cure Ebola, then we should be able to cure tinnitus, it's not that easy. Sometimes even though a condition produces relatively mild symptoms, that doesn't mean it is less complicated. Like I said, we can actually see Ebola. Scientists can see Ebola and objectively say you have it. With tinnitus, usually a doctor or researcher can't even tell someone has it without the person saying so. It's really hard to treat such a subjective symptom. To make matters worse, tinnitus can have so many different causes. And if it is actually a brain issue, then you're dealing wit the most complicated organ in the entire human body.

• Like Like x 1
    27. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no not for you Matt.
      :)

28. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think it was a good post...things just went a bit sideways here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Who even said that tinnitus was as bad as Ebola?
      @MattK
      and shame on you for picking on sufferers worst off than yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      thanks Telis,,,,,, it was just how I was feeling at the time. im so tired of living this torture, like we all are and want some relief, that's all.... I know we are all on the same page with wanting at relief and lower tinnitus if not a cure...
      and just would like it to be sooner than later..:)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2