Effects of Long-Term Cardio Exercise vs. Short-Term Exercise on Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 19, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, so here is my question. In the short term, exercise seems to increase my tinnitus a bit for a short time afterwards. My question is though, after long term cardio exercise, can this reduce my T? Anyone have this happen?

2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi JasonP!

You ask interesting questions. I am an avid runner averaging abut 6 miles a day. I used to run on the beach but changed my routine to a gym treadmill. I run in the early morning and it started being unsafe for a female alone on the strand in my beach area.

Short term or not this does not seem to affect my tinnitus level. But the exercise makes me feel so much better every day. I get the adrenaline high and it helps with my down mental feeling do to tinnitus.

I think to answer your question, it does help the tinnitus, because it helps ease the stress and mental state in my body.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Running on hard ground or on a treatmill can make tinnitus worse for some people. Many people have contacted me about this and there is information on the Internet about running and tinnitus. I use an elliptical machine and have no problems. I believe this is due to my feet not making contact with the ground, therefore, no impact is transferred up through my body.
      Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Is it temporary or long term?

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sometimes its the rise in your heart rate and blood pressure.
      As you get fitter you can increase slowly and your BP will get better and reduce the tinnitus.
      Always best to do warm up exercises and cooling down slowly after and not just stop.
      I agree with @Michael Leigh that the impact through the body can cause tinnitus to spike for some people.
      ..lots of love glynis

7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Micheal your article is from 1994 and addresses mostly high impact aeorbics - that part I agree with regarding impact.

I didn't mention that yes it is important to purchase good running shoes with extra padding and support along with a good treadmill. Today's treadmills are very user friendly for the runner. Much better than running on cement or pavement. Glad the elliptical machine is a good form of exercise for you. Many with knee or other issues find this to be an excellent way to get cardio.

JasonP's question in part was:

"My question is though, after long term cardio exercise, can this reduce my T."

Not everyone is negatively affected with terminal louder tinnitus after running.

In fact it is important to have some sort of cardio exercise. This does improve one's health in the long term. If you feel better and healthier the mental load of intrusive tinnitus improves. Whether or not it comes from running, walking or using other ways to increase one's cardio.

Running works for me for the past 20 years. Good shoes. Stopped using pavement/cement and opted for a very well made treadmill. My tinnitus is always 24/7 and loud.

I chose to live life and run with scissors. :huganimation:

8. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I love running. I used to get short term spikes after intense resistant training and cardio sessions in the beginning but don't seem to experience that anymore. Does seem to be a common event most of us experience though, but it could be due to a number of factors like having increased blood flow, increased stress on the cardiovascular system, etc. I don't think it's a sign that you are doing damage to your hearing.

There are some issues with that study cited by another poster from 1994, super small sample size and questionable testing methods. As mentioned in that article a lot of the trainers and people affected are taking part of aerobic classes where they love to blast the music. They do this at my local spin class, they literally pump the music as loud as you would expect at a club, super silly of them to do.

I doubt running moderately does any damage to hearing. I'm talking 5-10k runs 3 to 5 times a week on a treadmill or outside. I could see issues if you were doing some extreme running activities like ultra-marathons regularly or running ridiculous distances on varying elevation but other than that I doubt there's any damage being done.

Anyway, keep running and exercising. There are so many very significant benefits to gain from it. Have a peep through this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

Running and resistance exercise has helped me tremendously through my battle with tinnitus and hyperacusis.

9. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I try not to view the body as some sort of organic mecha suit, that you pump this much, and do this stretch, and then 15 jilkijumps and 33 supersquatrangles.

For reducing T, I would suggest walking in nature, where you can't hear cars anymore, connecting with nature, slowing down, and becoming part of nature, where you are no long a visitor, but are part of nature. Meditate in a place that seems special to you. Do some some simple Qi Gong or Tai chi... That'll be good for you and your T. Lay on the ground, listen to sounds of nature around you. Maybe bring an esoteric book to read at a special place. Meditate, freestyle some taijiquan, no instruction necessary just flow.

Then if you must, measure your T before planning your way home. Then measure it when you arrive home, then measure it when you are posting your results on TT.

Plain western "cardio" workouts are bound to be stimulating, this may aid bloodflow to the ear, but the stimulating nature of the exercizes may spike T. You can calmly fortify your cardiovascular system through less intense forms of daoist arts.

• Like Like x 1
    10. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Running is great exercise and improves mood. Yes some people do report temporary spikes in tinnitus after going for a run but the claim that running can permanently worsen tinnitus is frankly nonsense with no significant recent evidence to support it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. az-g
      Stressed

az-g Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me after running is when I first started noticing my T a few months ago. Now running or strength training does seem to make it worse, as do some yoga poses where I'm bent over.

I can't imagine giving up exercise, though, so unless/until exercise really makes me feel bad, I'm going to keep doing it.

12. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I had plans to do a marathon this year.. Better to skip it?

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Many people have contacted me over the years that have tinnitus and running on hard ground or on the treadmill makes the condtion worse, due to impact underfoot. This travels up the body into the head and auditory system and I believe affects the cochlea, resulting in increased tinnitus. I use an elliptical machine. There is no impact and haven't noticed an increase in my tinnitus. There has been studies into aerobic exercise (running) making tinnitus worse. Click on the link below.
      Michael
      http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/06/us/inner-ear-may-take-beating-from-high-impact-aerobics.html

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey JurgenG, did you ever run the marathon? If so, did it affect your tinnitus?

15. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      In a former lifecycle, I ran a marathon. It had no negative effect on my T and the endorphin release at the end lasted several days and was more potent than any chemical high I have ever experienced. The focus on the training and prep actually gave me a focus and took me out of thinking of the T.

On the day, I ran in earplugs, as there were (in areas) loud cheering and roadside speakers playing music designed to encourage you (they certainly made me run past them faster).

Did you do one @JurgenG

I would fully recommend it if it's your thing. No need for T to hold you back from this.

16. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Over the years of going the gym it can really tell on your joints.
      I ended up with OA in some joints and walked with sticks after for years and needed knee surgery.
      I think a brisk walk or swim or Yoga etc are good and remember exercise should be enjoyable and not keep going till your ready to drop and lots and lots of training and building up for long distance running.
      If you ache all over the next day you did to much to soon.
      love glynis

17. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Ive not noticed any negative side effects from running so far, only 7/8 months in but no problems yet touch wood. I run about 10k every other day on hard ground with running shoes and special gel inner soles. I find it helps me a lot with the Tinnitus fight mentally.

• Like Like x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Wow! I had no idea an endorphin high could last several days. That is amazing. Do you know how long it would last if you only ran a mile? I'm just curious...I am kind of a little uneasy about running hard because I have known a couple of people who messed their knees up when they were running. :(

19. Alvaro030663

Alvaro030663 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noises
      I play tennis regularly, and it can a bit of catch 22. After some strenuous exercise, my tinnitus goes up but so do my emotions, so basically, I have higher tinnitus but I care less.

20. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I messed up my knees even from elliptical but I was pushing things way too far.

I am in probably the worst shape of my life so I'm not one to be giving out advice right now but from yo-yoing I do know what works and what doesn't even if I'm not following my own advice.

Benefits of exercise:

1) endorphins, a natural anti-depressant
      2) you're more naturally tired at the end of the day, so easier to fall asleep

I've also found that you can achieve a secondary natural high when you hit your stride in a low-carb diet and you enter ketosis. The trick is to move through the cravings and the brain fog to actually get there (hence my yo-yoing).

These benefits are a clear net gain even if you perceive your tinnitus more due to increased blood flow.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      You should try a cross country ski machine, like the old original Nordic Track. I still use one regularly. You can find them on eBay or on Craigslist. It is a very vigorous workout with no impact.

22. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I have a really annoying tinnitus tone that gets louder when my heart-rate increases, and sort of goes along with my pulse. It's not a whooshing pulsatile, but more of an up and down EEE tone.

I'm wondering if getting back in shape will lessen it. I was in great shape before getting the job I have now about 2.5 years ago. But the job takes most of my time, and I'm paid way less than I was at my previous company... which ended up shutting down.

23. Ivan Milliau

Ivan Milliau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection/Stress
      My Ear doctor in the university hospital this morning advised me more running /cardio (what I like) as it increases adrenaline and it would lower BodyFat around my Eustachius tube. (I got heavy Tinnitus after an ear infection 5 yrs ago and my Eustachius tube does not work properly anymore)

QUOTE="Starthrower, post: 228052, member: 1348"]Micheal your article is from 1994 and addresses mostly high impact aeorbics - that part I agree with regarding impact.

I didn't mention that yes it is important to purchase good running shoes with extra padding and support along with a good treadmill. Today's treadmills are very user friendly for the runner. Much better than running on cement or pavement. Glad the elliptical machine is a good form of exercise for you. Many with knee or other issues find this to be an excellent way to get cardio.

JasonP's question in part was:

"My question is though, after long term cardio exercise, can this reduce my T."

Not everyone is negatively affected with terminal louder tinnitus after running.

In fact it is important to have some sort of cardio exercise. This does improve one's health in the long term. If you feel better and healthier the mental load of intrusive tinnitus improves. Whether or not it comes from running, walking or using other ways to increase one's cardio.

Running works for me for the past 20 years. Good shoes. Stopped using pavement/cement and opted for a very well made treadmill. My tinnitus is always 24/7 and loud.

I chose to live life and run with scissors. :huganimation:[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1