End of Year Reflections — Regretting Seeing So Many ENTs and Doctors

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holly1987, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm in a rather reflective mood as the year comes to a close. I was thinking about my tinnitus journey and all the things I regret doing this year. I would say my biggest regret was seeing three different ENTs and 4 doctors, costing me thousands of dollars. I really wish I had just stopped after the first ENT. I just so desperately wanted to know what caused / was causing it I didn't care about the cost. I got no answers...

For anyone who may be considering getting a 3rd or 4th opinion I suggest you don't... certainly a second opinion is reasonable but after that I personally think it's best to stop. Don't get obsessed like I did, save your money.

Anyway just wanted to share my thoughts xx

Happy New year to all.

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Holly I stopped after two ENT's. My case was pretty clear though.

My biggest regret was not fighting harder against t. I can't think of a way to fight t besides time so it has to stay that way.

While I'm never in the front leading the charge persistence is one of my greatest traits. I stick with things to find a solution. I don't feel I did that with t and again looking back I can't think of anything I would have done differently.

I'm very disappointed and feel like I wasted the last 10 months of my life. I don't know when, or if, I'll feel like I'm a productive member of society again.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It's too bad you had the issues that you been having. Most ENTs I have met do not know much about tinnitus. The biggest help I have had in my 30 years, have been from audiologists. ENTs been useful to me when I have had pain in the ears, sinus issues and throat issues. They are helpful with infections, and have helped me when I had issues related to those aspects that I have mentioned.

If an infection could possibly be causing the tinnitus , then an ENT can possibly help with the infection and hopefully the tinnitus might go away if the infection gets better.

Hope your next year is a good one :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      2018 was the worst year of my life. I developed anxiety panic disorder, feet starting to go numb, hip would get pins and needles, spinal discs got pinched, discovered high blood sugar, inflamed rib twice. and I regret seeing so many chiropractors since their adjustments made my back much worse. So much money wasted as well. Everything thankfully has cleared up except for my spinal discs which I am now just taking care of on my own and it seems to be working. 2019 will be better for us both :)

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      A very happy new year to you, I hope 2019 brings more positivity for us all. I 100% agree... curiosity really can kill the cat....did in my case. Wish too I’d just left my ears to deal with it... but hey ho, we were not to know and only wanted to do what was best for our ears! X

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @another sean

Does that include t? I hope so and if not at least progress in the right direction.

7. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Happy New Year, @Holly1987 :huganimation:
      May 2019 be better than 2018!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I can balance that a bit with my experience: it took over half a dozen doctors to reach a proper diagnosis of otosclerosis. If I had given up after 3 or 4 doctors, I don't know where I would be today, because the surgery is the pivot point in my disease after which my hearing stopped degrading. If I hadn't sought more opinions, I don't know where I'd be today, but I imagine I'd be in a much worse shape.

One lesson for me is that "more of the same" did not bring a different view on my case: I had asked second/third opinions as I was entitled to by my private health plan, but those were limited to staff under the same umbrella, who were less likely to contradict each other as they were part of "the same team". They never seemed eager to even question a colleagues' assessment.

The turning point happened when I decided to go "out of network", with the downside of being extremely expensive. So I learned that I needed to "diversify my portfolio of advisors".

• Like Like x 1
    9. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Happy New Year, Hopefully we get some kind of treatment that works for everyone soon.

• Like Like x 1
    10. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I wish.

• Hug Hug x 2